Long Term Parking - Picayune

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dovecote

OBS Chief
Anyone have knowledge of long term parking in Picayune, Mississippi? Specifically, the safety aspect for parking there for around two weeks during the Thanksgiving holiday. Also, the availability of parking spaces around the holiday.

We left our car at the Picayune station 10/1/16 - 10/8/16 when we took the Crescent to Alexandria, VA. The station is in 'downtown', on a main street - safe area. There are maybe 10 or so spaces, we were the only car there when we left and there was 1 other car there when we returned. Not sure how busy it would be around a holiday. It is not necessary, but I did call the Intermodal Tourist Center which is in the same building as the station to let them know I was leaving my car... they said the car would be fine - and it was, no problems at all. Their number is 601-799-3070 if you are interested. The building was closed on Saturday when we left, but there is a covered porch with benches while you wait. Have a nice trip.

And just to add, I also live close to Picayune, and as far as I know it's a generally safe small town, no issues that I'm aware of. I'm glad someone with experience chimed in, but if I ever needed I wouldn't feel hesitant about leaving my car there either.

UPDATE - I recently completed my round trip travel from Picayune. After careful consideration I made arrangements to park my vehicle at a local hotel. I lodged at the hotel prior to the trip and upon my return. I took a cab to/from the station at the cost of $6.00 one way. The station lot contained 16 spaces and had ample open spaces had I elected to park.

UPDATE #2 - I just completed another round trip from Picayune. Parked again at the same nearby hotel with disastrous results this time. Vandals smashed the rear passenger window and rummaged the inside. Another vehicle was vandalized as well. Perhaps the station lot would have been better! Probably the last time I will travel from this location with a car left behind.

We live in Central NJ but our departing station for LD trips is PHL. It's too darn expensive to park in a LD parking lot in PHL ($20-$25/day) and we would not dare park in the streets. Our solution is that we drive to my in-laws house in So. Jersey (Haddonfield), park in their driveway and take a cab ride to 30th street station.Point is that you can leave your car home, or park at a relative (or friends home) close to the station, then take a cab; that's the easy way to go We've even had some online friends offer their driveway and a ride to the station too . .

Picayune has grown quite a bit, post-Katrina. Years ago, I went with a friend to recover his wife's car from an impound yard in New Orleans after it had been stolen when she left it in a shopping center parking lot in Slidell while carpooling to her job in New Orleans. He was pretty sanguine about this sort of thing happing in the "big city" of Slidell but was sure that she could have left it anywhere in Picayune with the keys in the ignition and nothing would have happened.

Picayune has grown quite a bit, post-Katrina. Years ago, I went with a friend to recover his wife's car from an impound yard in New Orleans after it had been stolen when she left it in a shopping center parking lot in Slidell while carpooling to her job in New Orleans. He was pretty sanguine about this sort of thing happing in the "big city" of Slidell but was sure that she could have left it anywhere in Picayune with the keys in the ignition and nothing would have happened.
Anybody who leaves their anywhere with the keys in the ignition, even in their own driveway, is pretty stupid and deserves what happens.

Anybody who leaves their anywhere with the keys in the ignition, even in their own driveway, is pretty stupid and deserves what happens.
Are you old enough to remember the Chevy ignition switches from the 1950s? It had four positions: Lock, Off, On, Start. You could put the switch in the Off position and remove the key. After that you could start and run the car without the key. One of my grandfathers never used his car key. He also never locked his house door. That's just one example of how much the world has changed since the 1950s.

I recall once telling a colleague visiting from DC that my car was unlocked and him being incredulous that I wouldn't lock my car (on a secure base). My response was that everyone knew that I had tools and jumper cables in my car and there was no reason for them to have to hunt me down if they needed to use them.

Back