Long time since I did this

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ALC Rail Writer

Engineer
Hello all, haven't been on a train in awhile but my friend and I wanted to go to Charlotte for a business vacation and I dercided to use my long-lost AGR points for a sleeper CLE-CLT this Sunday. I noticed a lot of updates to the system (including e-ticketing!) and was impressed by the polite (American) AGR reps.

One interesting note-- While trying to book the last room on 19 (which the main site showed as available and bookable) the first agent said it was being held for part of the line and that I couldn't book it. Without any further explanation she proceon eded with looking at all trains (a futile effort as last-minute trains are usually booked solid). Remembering the advice I got here some five years ago I called back and got a more experienced agent who confounded the situation by explaining to me that the room on 19 was booked between PHL-NOL as well as between NYP and Greensboro and, as impossible as this was, that it was also showing as available on the site. Thankfully she remembered to check the H rooms and was able to book us in the last remaining space on Sunday's Crescent.

On a side note does anybody know what my friend and I will be able to do in and around the station between 2AM and 2PM on Monday? We just need to kill time until his uncle picks us up.

The H-Room on a Viewliner is (in my opinion) the best room available! (But the H-Room on a Superliner I find is the worst room!)

I have no idea what is in CLT around the station, having never been there - except to pass thru on the Crescent and I was sound asleep. About the only thing I know is CLT is the home of NASCAR!

Edited to add: Micah - change your signature! "Planned 2011 ..." - that's close to 3 years ago! :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Speaking of passing through this will be the first time EVER that I have passed through ALC! I don't travel out of CLE that often and never went on the Eastbound CL, so I'll sleep right though my usual stop for once!

Back