Looking for info on the Blue Water train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griffin T. Murphey DDS

Train Attendant
My wife and I want to go up to the Christmas Store in a little Franconian German town near Flint, Mich. So our plan is to fly up and then back home take the Blue Water to Chicago business class connecting with the Eagle (hopefully still has a real diner) to FW. Any tips on the trip specifically about the Blue Water will be welcome.

My wife and I want to go up to the Christmas Store in a little Franconian German town near Flint, Mich. So our plan is to fly up and then back home take the Blue Water to Chicago business class connecting with the Eagle (hopefully still has a real diner) to FW. Any tips on the trip specifically about the Blue Water will be welcome.
Frankenmuth is a charming little city. :) Do keep in mind that Bronner's starts to get PACKED this time of year. You may also have a long wait at Zehnder's if you're planning to try their famous fried chicken. It's definitely worth the trip, though. Don't let any of that dissuade you.

The Blue Water is a regional train, so it's not as large as the Superliners used for the Texas Eagle. If you're in Business Class, though, you'll have large seats with an armrest between them, plus a leg rest when you recline. You will receive one free non-alcoholic beverage and unlimited coffee. I believe they still pass out newspapers on request.

Since you're boarding very early on, you will not have any issues finding seats together. The largest stops on that trip are the college towns of Lansing and Kalamazoo.

Battle Creek is a crew change point, so you will have a couple of minutes to get off the train and stretch your legs. You won't have time to go into the station, and there's really nothing around there anyway. Stay near your car and listen for the conductor to yell, "All aboard!"

Last edited:
How are you getting from Flint airport ( which is a nice airport btw) to Port Huron station? They're not all that close and in December the freeway could be bad if it snows. From my recollection the Blue Water leaves quite early. And by the way, there's nothing around the train station in terms of restaurants etc. So my advice is to leave plenty of time or go to PH a day early. It's a nice town with a un-deserved mediocre reputation. Stay near the bridge and walk along the water and if hungry go to the Raven if you have a chance for the PH atmosphere.

Back