looking to travel by rail

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jan

<_<

My daughter is getting married June 14th in Orlando, my DH and I are considering going by Train from PGH --> Washington, DC. We are attempting to convince my inlaws to come along, however, "Grandpa" is insisting that he cannot go along due to 'toileting' difficulties (a prostrate problem). Can anyone attest to the comfort /quick assess to a rest room. We even pulled up the deluxe sleeper cars to show him - but he remains unconvinced.

Anyone faced a similar travel difficulty?

Jan

Well if you have a Deluxe Bedroom then he would have access to an enclosed toilet throughout the whole trip. It is a little cramped, but none the less effective. If you have a Standard Room, then the toilet is not enclosed so the other occupant will have to leave the room.

If you go by Coach, then there are only 2 restrooms at one end of the car, which can be occupied at anytime and can malfunction and go out of order. The only car without a restroom is the diner so depending on his conditions you can have meals brought to your room or seat since he has a medical condition. Hoep this helps. :)

P.S. Your font and color option is not working because you did not "close tags". You can't edited you post because your a guest, but next time befoire posting hit the red "X" box that says "close all tags" next to the option menu.

As Amfleet alluded to, you would have access to a private bathroom in the deluxe bedroom. As he noted however, it's not a huge bathroom. So if your grandfather has mobility issues and/or weighs over 250 then you might be better off booking the handicapped room.

It provides for a much larger bathroom, than does the deluxe. The cost of the handicapped room is similar if not slightly less than a deluxe room.

Either way, other than needing to kick one of you out of the bathroom, he would have exclusive use whenever he needed it. The train would certainly be easier and more convienent than a plane. It's also better than a car, as you don't need to pull over and find the nearest gas station.

Since your father is eldrly, and probably not as mobile and agile as others, you may want to consider room H (Handicap). This room is larger than the deluxe rooms, and has a larger restroom. The room is located right next to the vestibule (so he wouldn't have to walk far when boarding/detraining). As Jon said, regardless of which room you choose your attendant will be more than happy to bring you meals in your room (remember that meals are included in the price of the ticket if you go First Class).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back