Loose AC power outlets

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BCL

Engineer
Anyone know what the procedure is for maintenance on these things? I’m riding the Surfliner and my power adapter is just barely hanging on. They look like they can be replaced pretty easily. Kind of sucks that it’s only a single outlet. They might hold a 3-prong plug better though.

Once I replaced a two-prong outlet when it just couldn’t hold even a light wall wart. A new one made a huge difference. I was thinking maybe they could even replace them with dual outlets.

Anyone know what the procedure is for maintenance on these things? I’m riding the Surfliner and my power adapter is just barely hanging on. They look like they can be replaced pretty easily. Kind of sucks that it’s only a single outlet. They might hold a 3-prong plug better though.

Once I replaced a two-prong outlet when it just couldn’t hold even a light wall wart. A new one made a huge difference. I was thinking maybe they could even replace them with dual outlets.
The surfliner cars are due for a refresh, I belive buiness class ones are getting seats from ACLEA trains and all new carpet on the floor, I'd hope they address an issue like that at the same time

There actually is a tool for testing the tension of the contacts in a receptacle. The only time I have ever seen it used was on a turnover inspection of a floor we redid at a hospital. More likely, if it is checked at all, it would be a pocket tester that just tests whether it works. Not sure what the scope of work for the refresh is, but if it was written up, it shouldn't be a hard fix. May be a PITA to get the raceway cover off because of where it is, but not hard.

I've run into loose electric outlets not just on the Surfliner, but in all kinds of public places and hotels while travelling.

I've started carrying one of these: https://www.amazon.com/Extension-Black-Power-Indoor-Listed/dp/B09KZLPSX9/

and a tiny travel envelope of duct tape.

I plug my 6" cord into the worn out outlet, secure it with a 10" or so piece of strong duct tape, and then I have my own "solid" socket to plug things into.

Helped me many a time.

Back