Los Angeles COVID Form and Complimentary Drinks?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oreius

OBS Chief
I checked Amtrak's website on the destination specific COVID requirements. I don't see Los Angeles anymore. I know in the past you had to fill out an online form before you travel. Is that still around?

It says my parents and I are entitled to complimentary non-alcoholic drinks throughout the journey. I assume that includes soda, but what other drinks are included?

I believe you need to fill out this Pre-Trip Covid-19. You'll probably be sent the link close 24hrs in advance. Pre-Trip COVID-19 Check | Amtrak

National Cafe Menu: https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/...ts/menus/national/National-Cafe-Menu-1020.pdf
Dining Car Menus: Amtrak Traditional Dining
Surfliner Menu: https://www.pacificsurfliner.com/globalassets/pdfs/market-cafe-menu-feb-2020.pdf
He's asking about destination specific forms, which Amtrak is not responsible for but has posted links to in the past. The pre-trip form is only for Amtrak's use.

It says my parents and I are entitled to complimentary non-alcoholic drinks throughout the journey. I assume that includes soda, but what other drinks are included?

Coffee, Tea, Juice. They also have sparkling water now or at least they did last time I rode. (La Croix).

I saw the COVID Precheck Amtrak is requiring. I know Los Angeles had a form you had to fill out online if you flew into LAX or came into Union Station.

I’m familiar with the service on the Silvers, where the dining car served as the dedicated “Diner /Lounge” for Sleepers. Where do we go on the Starlight to get our complimentary beverages?

I know Amtrak now serves Coke products. What coffee do they serve? My parents love Dunkin’ Donuts coffee—which I believe is available on the Northeast trains..

I know Amtrak now serves Coke products. What coffee do they serve? My parents love Dunkin’ Donuts coffee—which I believe is available on the Northeast trains
Not any brand coffee AFAIK on LD trains, they only serve Dunkin on some Northeast trains because of a partnership there. Now I'm not a coffee person, so I have no idea what coffee they serve on LD trains

I’m familiar with the service on the Silvers, where the dining car served as the dedicated “Diner /Lounge” for Sleepers. Where do we go on the Starlight to get our complimentary beverages?
From the dining car crew - they MIGHT give you them from the cafe in the SSL if you tell them you're a sleeper passenger but not a guarantee - I had a trip where the diner ran out of what I wanted (sparking water) and the diner LSA told me to go to the cafe attendant and tell them I'm a sleeper passenger but that might depend on the crew.

Not any brand coffee AFAIK on LD trains, they only serve Dunkin on some Northeast trains because of a partnership there. Now I'm not a coffee person, so I have no idea what coffee they serve on LD trains

I’m not a coffee drinker either, but my parents guzzle it. In fact, my Dad is very fussy! He can tell how fresh coffee is, and also drinks it lukewarm!!

I’m assuming we get our complimentary drinks at the SSL? I’m not sure if Coach pax can purchase meals as of yet…

Coffee, Tea, Juice. They also have sparkling water now or at least they did last time I rode. (La Croix).

It went from La Croix to Bubly, then Bubly to AHA when the products changed over to Coke. So it is now AHA Lime + Watermelon flavor. Good stuff!

Years ago there was talk about Dunkin' being served nationwide, but it fell through. However just recently (within the last two months), Starbucks has become the coffee brand carried, at least on western trains.

I’m not a coffee drinker either, but my parents guzzle it. In fact, my Dad is very fussy! He can tell how fresh coffee is, and also drinks it lukewarm!!

I’m assuming we get our complimentary drinks at the SSL? I’m not sure if Coach pax can purchase meals as of yet…

The diner is traditionally the place to go, but if I may be honest, it's preferred if you visit the SSL to get them if the diner is busy in the middle of a meal seating. Some sleeper attendants are also happy to grab them from the diner if you prefer.

That's weird that they switched La Croix out for AHA. Back in the 90's when they used Coke products on board La Croix was the club soda they sold and used on board.

That's weird that they switched La Croix out for AHA. Back in the 90's when they used Coke products on board La Croix was the club soda they sold and used on board.

Well LaCroix is owned by National Beverage (Faygo), and AHA is owned by Coke, so the switch is not really that odd. The halfway point of Bubly is more odd, as it's owned by Pepsi.

From the dining car crew - they MIGHT give you them from the cafe in the SSL if you tell them you're a sleeper passenger but not a guarantee - I had a trip where the diner ran out of what I wanted (sparking water) and the diner LSA told me to go to the cafe attendant and tell them I'm a sleeper passenger but that might depend on the crew.

I haven't done any sleeper trips recently but from memory I recall there being a dispenser jug for coffee in the corridor (superliner, upper level near stairs) but whether or not there was any actual coffee inside and if so whether it was still hot, depended on how attentive the SLA was. Of course if I asked they always fixed me up with something so I really can't complain.

It could well be that I am mistaken as I'm not much of a coffee person myself and prefer to bring my own drinks. So I never really payed much attention.

I haven't done any sleeper trips recently but from memory I recall there being a dispenser jug for coffee in the corridor (superliner, upper level near stairs) but whether or not there was any actual coffee inside and if so whether it was still hot, depended on how attentive the SLA was. Of course if I asked they always fixed me up with something so I really can't complain.

It could well be that I am mistaken as I'm not much of a coffee person myself and prefer to bring my own drinks. So I never really payed much attention.
Pre-covid there was a coffee dispenser in the sleeper cars. I believe I have seen reports that they have returned. I, too, am not a coffee drinker.

My experience pre-Covid was that the SCA would make an urn or coffee in the sleeping car early in the morning so you could have a cup when you woke up. They never made it all day, and if any was left by 8 or 9 AM, it was usually pretty overboiled and bitter. Years ago (like in the early 2000s), they also had juice available.

My experience pre-Covid was that the SCA would make an urn or coffee in the sleeping car early in the morning so you could have a cup when you woke up. They never made it all day, and if any was left by 8 or 9 AM, it was usually pretty overboiled and bitter. Years ago (like in the early 2000s), they also had juice available.
There was a time when Coffee and juices were available at the alcove in each Sleeping Car all day. That stopped several years back when the service was cut back to morning only.

There was a time when Coffee and juices were available at the alcove in each Sleeping Car all day. That stopped several years back when the service was cut back to morning only.
On the SWC late July and the SL in mid-August, the SCA had the coffee pot going each morning and kept coffee available all morning. No juice was avaialble though.
Don't know what kind of coffee was in the pot but, the paper cups were $tarbucks branded.

I remember that sometimes there were little juice and water bottles in boxes on the floor by the SLA's cubicle. But I was never sure if passengers were allowed to help themselves, and being an honest soul I never did although I once or twice observed others doing so.

I remember even further back when mini cans of Pepsi and Diet Pepsi (and sometimes chocolate chip cookies) were offered on the Silvers to sleeper passengers.

July 27 to 29 ... LAX>CHI
We passed each other on that last day, when I boarded the Chief in CHI to FUL. Just a mere feet away without even knowing it.

Edit: This is actually the second time this has happened to you and me, back in 2017, long before I joined AU, we were on passing Starlight's. I was just looking at old trip reports a few months back and came across it.

Back