Los Angeles layover

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Metroplaza is a very short walk from the station, inexpensive by LA standards, and is clean and safe, though rather utilitarian. It's recommended a lot here, and it's my stay of choice when connecting in LA>

The Metroplaza is indeed walkable and utilitarian. It looked a bit creepy to us but turned out to be fine for an overnight stay. The next time though, we'd probably splurge for a better place even though it would mean taxi/uber/bus/tram ride.

The area around the Metroplaza is nothing to write home about (commercial) but it's not far to walk to Main St (it's closer than and on the way to LAUS) where there are restaurants and shops. There is even a small Italian-American museum even closer to the Metroplex that was free.

The area felt safe once we saw Main St. If you use Google maps, it will direct you to walk along Alameda from the station. Wide, commercial street but no feeling of enjoyment. Better to go from the front of LAUS then walk one short block to Main and turn right along Main so you are in the area with the shops. Much better feeling of being in a place where you're not the only pedestrian.

If you're able to walk a little farther, there is a Doubletree hotel -- probably a step or two up from the Metro Plaza in terms of quality -- about 7/10ths of a mile from the station. It's a straight shot down Los Angeles Street, which is the street that ends at the main driveway into Union Station. I can't speak for "reasonably inexpensive," though. (If you want to look it up online, the full name is Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown.)

If you're able to walk a little farther, there is a Doubletree hotel -- probably a step or two up from the Metro Plaza in terms of quality -- about 7/10ths of a mile from the station. It's a straight shot down Los Angeles Street, which is the street that ends at the main driveway into Union Station. I can't speak for "reasonably inexpensive," though. (If you want to look it up online, the full name is Doubletree by Hilton Hotel Los Angeles Downtown.)
I have stayed there and thought the price was reasonable for LA. I walked several times to and from Union Station to the hotel, but only in daylight. I was able to walk with luggage and felt safe (and I was in my mid 60s at the time).

I've stayed at the Kawada, a subway stop away, which was adequate: dated, but well located and inexpensive.

I'd like to stay at the Miyako sometime.

Just like trainman and penny, I can vouch for the Doubletree. Stayed there in the fall of 2018.

Here’s a photo from the street. Looks kind of “high-end” from the outside, but for LA it wasn’t that bad.

1638272233851.jpeg

Here was the view from one of the rooms:

1638272307807.jpeg

Good luck!

I stayed at the Doubletree when it was the New Otani Hotel. At the time of this trip (2002), Amtrak Vacations included it as part of its package. It worked very well. I'm sure as a Hilton, it is still up to par.

Back