Los Angeles

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to be in Los Angeles in December. Don't know how many days I'll be staying yet. I'm not a beach person but I like some good scenery. I'm strictly running no-car so I have to be able to access it by transit.

I thought maybe one option would be going to Pacific Palisades on the 2 and then to Malibu on the 534. Or maybe I should go south to Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Long Beach, etc. Or maybe ride the Gold Line to Pasadena. Or Metrolink Antelope Valley Line? Or 761 Sepulveda? Or Venice Canals? 90/91 Foothill?

I'm very confused. So many options! And suggestions? Thanks.
Try some of the routes to Griffith Park (the 96 and the Observatory Shuttle), Baldwin Hills (217 and the Baldwin Hills Link shuttle from the Expo Line), Antelope Valley Line through the rural Santa Clara River Valley, and the 234/734 to Getty Center.

If you are hungry and have a layover of at least an hour at LAUS, consider walking up the street a few blocks to Chinatown.

Good choices are Little Jewel (authentic New Orleans food, $10-15); Buu Dien (vietnamese sandwiches, $3, great to take with you on the train); and Yum Cha (dim sum, $1-2, also great to take on the train). All three of these are within a block of each other, so you can mix and match.

I was underwhelmed by Phillippes. Mushy beef on soggy bread. I think it's one of those things -- like Tito's and Tommy's -- where the best part is remembering your dad taking you there when you were seven years old.

Phillipe's delivers says LA times Philippes delivers

For the many of you who have posted that Phillipe's is a must-visit food place near LAUS.

The LA times article doesn't specify the delivery charge to LAUS, but it might be a good way to try the Famous French Dip between trains :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anyone done a “hop on hop off” tour? We are schedule to be in LA one day ( coming in on #3 SWC), before transiting the Panama Canal on the way back to south Florida (Ft Lauderdale), and after reading all the suggestions, wondering if we should just forget the HOHO and try some of the suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

There are great walking tours of the downtown LA area run by knowledgeable staff at a very reasonable price. We've taken their Old And New LA Downtown and their Chinatown and Japantown tours. Here's the link www.dtlawalkingtours.com/.

To be honest, there's enough to see and do in the immediate area of the station that I wouldn't bother with the HOHO bus tours if you only have one day. (And I am generally a fan of them as a quick orientation to a town). LA is pretty spread out, so the HOHO sights are less condensed than in a typical HOHO tour.

Olvera st (directly across from LAUS) is touristy, sure, but the stalls are photogenic (and we bought a frilly Mexican dress and fancy fan for our 4 year old granddaughter that she absolutely loved!). There are several Mexican restaurants there that are just what you'd imagine they are, but to my mind, the can't miss eat there is the Mr Churro stand, where you can get freshly made churros that will spoil you forever. They also do a pretty mean breakfast burrito. Olvera St is the site of the oldest non-native settlement in LA, and the oldest surviving house still stands and can be visited--it's filled with period furniture and accessories.

MOCA and the Broad Museum are in the neighborhood, too, if you enjoy modern art. The Broad is free (yay!) but you have to book in advance (boo!) by logging onto their website on the first day of the month before you plan to visit. There's also a standby line, I believe. Honestly, I always mean to go there when I'm traveling through Union Station but I forget to get tickets in advance, and at this point in my life, I'm not standing in line for much of anything.

Want a great and unobstructed view of the downtown area? Head for the free observation deck at the iconic City Hall Building. Open normal business hours.

Also, no railfan will want to miss the Angel's Flight funicular, adjacent to the Grand Central Market. It touts itself as the world's shortest railway, and it's finally running again.

Well, even though our trip by train across county was cancelled due to the derailment and we had to fly to LA we did have a good time and had a couple of extra days.

We took the red line from downtown to the Santa Monica Pier. That was fun and there is lots to do and see!

Then we used our hop on hop off ticket to see the city. We took the various different buses and saw a good part of the city and all the usual Hollywood etc sights.

We stayed downtown and walked over to Union Station where we would have come in. Enjoyed the Station and then walked across the way to El Pueblo area, the original settlement of LA. Fun stalls and Mexican food. It ‘‘twas a Sunday and a fiesta was in progress with dancing etc.

Lots to do and see in LA without question. Riding the subway/light rail was easy, full of sights, and cheap - $.35 non prime for seniors and $.75 prime after buying a $1.00 card.

We took the red line from downtown to the Santa Monica Pier. That was fun and there is lots to do and see!
Just want to clarify for future readers of this thread that it's the Expo Line (light blue on the map) that goes from downtown to Santa Monica.

Correct: I forgot that we had transferred from the Red Line to the Light Blue line. Thanks for correcting.

Curious what people's thoughts were who have taken the Coast Starlight in to LA. I'll be arriving in LA later at night on the CS, and am trying to figure out the best way to go about travel/lodging for that evening. We want to rent a car, but the rental car stations will be closed by the time we get there. I know we can go to LAX and get a car there (that's where we'll be returning it as well a few days later) on the Flyaway bus after we arrive at the station. But if there are things close to the train station to do the next day, it might make more sense to get a hotel right near the station and go rent a car at the station in the morning. Does anyone know if there are 24-hour car rentals in/near the train station?

If you are getting I later at night, you could stay at the Doubletree, and get a rental car I The morning.

Union Station is dry walkable but I wouldn’t do it at night.

What are some good breakfast places in LA that's worth going out of my way for? I know of Philippe's, but I'm wondering if/where there's better or awesome places in the LA area (that I can preferably reach by public transport). Thanks for any suggestions!

How about "The Pantry" at 9th and Figueroa. A few blocks from the Metro Red/Purple Line 7th Street/Metro Center station.

Owned by former LA mayor Richard Riordan. Depending on time of day, be prepared for a line out the door on the sidewalk. Bring a good appetite!

https://www.yelp.com/biz/original-pantry-cafe-los-angeles
Damn it, you beat me to it! That place is insanely good. It's a relatively simple menu that doesn't have a ton of options, but there still definitely is something for everyone, and everything is just rustic and delicious. Get their Sourdough French Toast!

Traveling to LA in the Spring of 2020. Will be arriving on Coast Starlight late in the evening (10:00 PM). Looking for recommendations on hotels for an overnight stay near LA Union Station. Thanks.

I was underwhelmed by Phillippes. Mushy beef on soggy bread. I think it's one of those things -- like Tito's and Tommy's -- where the best part is remembering your dad taking you there when you were seven years old.
I realize you're probably long gone but I still wanted to thank you for this refreshing bit of honesty.

Traveling to LA in the Spring of 2020. Will be arriving on Coast Starlight late in the evening (10:00 PM). Looking for recommendations on hotels for an overnight stay near LA Union Station. Thanks.
I've recommended the Miyako Hotel in the past. It's nothing fancy but it gets the job done. For many years you could book a major chain hotel at LAX for $50-75 plus tax through the opaque booking sites, but they're all double or triple that range now.

On our recent trip we tried the Western Imperial Brewing company in LAX.

We stopped in for a beer and glass of wine before our Amtrak train. They did a fabulous job restoring this room. A great place, but...$14 for a glass of wine, really? Despite the many tables and pleasant booths in the large room, you get all drinks and food from the bartender, who did not appear to be a happy camper. But I could handle that as we were enjoying the great ambience and cozy booth. Then I stepped out to get some pretzels for our train.

When I returned the hostess would not let me enter with a bag of pretzels (that seemed to be her only job). My wife gulped the remainder of her wine and we left. We had planned to eat dinner there. Never again. But we did have an inexpensive and delicious dinner at Cafe Crepe just off the main waiting room. And, yes, Traxx is back in business in a small area. Next time we’ll plan on going there.

Last edited:
On our recent trip we tried the Western Imperial Brewing company in LAX.

We stopped in for a beer and glass of wine before our Amtrak train. They did a fabulous job restoring this room. A great place, but...$14 for a glass of wine, really? Despite the many tables and pleasant booths in the large room, you get all drinks and food from the bartender, who did not appear to be a happy camper. But I could handle that as we were enjoying the great ambience and cozy booth. Then I stepped out to get some pretzels for our train.

When I returned the hostess would not let me enter with a bag of pretzels (that seemed to be her only job). My wife gulped the remainder of her wine and we left. We had planned to eat dinner there. Never again. But we did have an inexpensive and delicious dinner at Cafe Crepe just off the main waiting room. And, yes, Traxx is back in business in a small area. Next time we’ll plan on going there.
I had lunch at Western Imperial Brewing at LAX in December 2018 and was quite pleased with my beer, fish tacos, the ambiance and the bartender.

Glad you had a positive experience, Penny. Thanks for the recommendation, maybe we’ll try again next trip.

But, I think this shows that a good customer service experience is as important as the quality of the food, drink, lodging, or transportation provided. Reminds me of inconsistent experiences on Amtrak many have encountered. But from recent travels I do think Amtrak employees seem to be doing a more consistently good job.

Surprising the hostess at the Brewery didn’t check our back pack for hidden snacks. I was so annoyed we also didn’t return for a late evening cocktail in the Superliner lounge before boarding the Sunset, something I had been looking forward to.

If you are hungry and have a layover of at least an hour at LAUS, consider walking up the street a few blocks to Chinatown.

I have to agree about Phillippes soggy French dips and Tito's on Washington Place in Culver City.
Johnies Patio, is on Sepulveda and has great Pastrami and Corn Beef sandwiches though.

Pearland wrote. When I returned the hostess would not let me enter with a bag of pretzels (that seemed to be her only job). My wife gulped the remainder of her wine and we left.
That's pathetic! One way to ruin an evening.

Last edited:
I know the exact place to stay ----The Metro Plaza only 2.5 blocks away, at 711 N. Main St. It's about $130 per night and directly across the street from a string of really nice Mexican Restaurants on Olvera St. with my favorite being Casa LaGolondrina. W-17 Olvera St. 1.5 blocks from Hotel. Don't even think about any other Hotels. This is the one. Then, the next morning, you can rent your car at the train station if you stay extra days. If just an overnight stay, you can easily walk back to the station or a cab ride will be super cheap

Last edited:
I'm planning to do LA in March or April with two friends.

Can anybody help with the following?

My friends are quite into Art Deco and other architecture and such and I was wondering

- are there any guided tours specifically doing Union Station?
- I gather the LA City Hall is also an interesting building. Tripadvisor says you can go up onto the roof. but is any other part of the building open to the public? Are there tours? What do you get to see?
- can you visit the Walt Disney Concert Hall without actually going to a concert?
- Is the cathedral worth doing?

Back