Lounge Access in CHI

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anderson

Engineer
More of a double-check than anything (checking policies in CHI vs. NYP/WAS), but when I take the Cap out to CHI (where I have a sleeper) and transfer to the CZ to get to Iowa, can I use the Metropolitan Lounge in CHI? I've always either been doing sleepers the whole way, a sleeper out of CHI heading east, or not bothered trying to get into the lounge (the wireless is better upstairs).

Hi,

My understanding is that you can use the lounge at either the start or end of your ride, providing you have proof of your sleeper reservation. (I have only used them at the start, so this is hear-say info!)

Ed :cool:

I know it's either end in NYP and WAS (having taken full advantage of this before), but I was unsure about CHI.

The times my husband and I have been in the Metropolitan Lounge, nobody ever checked our tickets upon entrance or once we were inside ~ probably because it was SO crowded you could barely move around inside. Because of that, we didn't bother with staying there ~ just checked our bags and went elsewhere to wait. Even the guy checking our bags didn't look at our tickets. I suspect that there might be other folks than just sleeper passengers hanging out in the lounge.... <_< Unfortunately, we observed quite a few rude folks taking up seating space by putting personal items on chairs and benches, but there wasn't enough staff around to address that problem.

We prefer to hang out in the Metro Deli & Cafe on the concourse level of the station adjacent to the Great Hall (same level as the Metropolitan Lounge) and then pick up our bags and wait in the Metropolitan Lounge just before boarding is announced. We've been forced to stand each time we've been there, as no seating was available. We don't consider the lounge to be all that great.... :mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:
Anderson, the same rules apply in Chicago that apply to the other lounges. As long as you have either a same day sleeper ticket or a same day sleeper stub, you can gain entry to the lounge.

Joanie, I'm stunned to hear that you've gotten into the Metro Lounge in Chicago more than once without a ticket check. Most people are nearly tackled, certainly scolded for just walking in and either not checking in or waving the lounge card of the day at the attendants. I've even seen redcaps manning the check room stop people who don't check in at the desk first. And generally the redcap always asks to see that special lounge access card before they'll take the bags.

I am sitting on the chi metro lounge right now, it is 11am. Not crowded right now. I suspect it will get more crowded as our departure on the TE nears. I asked tje lady at the desk,she said as long as you are ticketed in a sleeper that day, coming or going you can use the lounge. I have had a great trip and we are on the final leg home. I will post a trip report later

Joanie, I'm stunned to hear that you've gotten into the Metro Lounge in Chicago more than once without a ticket check. Most people are nearly tackled, certainly scolded for just walking in and either not checking in or waving the lounge card of the day at the attendants. I've even seen redcaps manning the check room stop people who don't check in at the desk first.
You can add me to the list of folks who have waltzed right into the Chicago Metro Lounge without so much as a glance in our direction.

No tackling, no scolding, no ticket checking, no challenge or verification of any kind.

Of course Amtrak still had the last laugh on us when we realized there was nowhere left to sit and nothing to do in there. :lol:

BTW, loved the photo of each soda selection with its own individual failure notice Oldsmoboi!

Last year the warden in charge at the lounge in CHI gave me grief when I tried to enter using the first class ticket from my arriving train. She said it was for departing pax only. All I wanted to do was use the internet to get a priceline room for the night. I didn't press the issue since she said the internet was down anyway -- I went upstairs instead. BTW, I could see that there was plenty of room in the lounge.

On 11/27, the Sunday after Thanksgiving, Union Station was a madhouse, with lines going everywhere. Nevertheless, the two times I went into the Metropolitan Lounge I wasn't ask to and didn't show my ticket to anyone. Like most things on Amtrak, YMMV.

While the soda machine was market "Out of Order" when I visited, it would produce ice and carbonated water, which to my mind is preferable to pop. It's annoying that the machine is still broken more than a week later. Oldsmoboi must be right: the repairman is waiting to get a Metropolitan Lounge pass.

Last year the warden in charge at the lounge in CHI gave me grief when I tried to enter using the first class ticket from my arriving train. She said it was for departing pax only. All I wanted to do was use the internet to get a priceline room for the night. I didn't press the issue since she said the internet was down anyway -- I went upstairs instead. BTW, I could see that there was plenty of room in the lounge.
Maybe the position of Lounge Warden is only staffed on specific days or hours?

I make it a point to both praise Amtrak when they do good and harass them when they need it via Twitter. I have enough of a following that they sometimes respond. Lets see what happens now that I've tweeted about it again.

i've always been asked to show my ticket..either inbound or outbound....NEVER was there NOT a warden present....
rolleyes.gif

AND....i must say, i love the word 'embiggen'...perhaps it would be OK for me to uh, steal it???
mda.gif

Can I add my name to the growing "embiggen" fan club? If you were Steven Colbert, you would already have trade-marked it.

i've always been asked to show my ticket..either inbound or outbound....NEVER was there NOT a warden present....
rolleyes.gif

AND....i must say, i love the word 'embiggen'...perhaps it would be OK for me to uh, steal it???
mda.gif

Can I add my name to the growing "embiggen" fan club? If you were Steven Colbert, you would already have trade-marked it.
Too late for Mr. Colbert to trademark it -- it's originally from a 1996 episode of "The Simpsons." Everyone in this thread is right that it's a perfectly cromulent word.

I'm surprised no one's started a completely unfounded rumor that the Pepsi machine's extended absence is because Amtrak is soon going to be switching to Coke products -- let me just pull a reasonable-sounding date out of thin air and say January 1st.

Hopefully it worked. Amtrak did reply to my tweet about the soda machine being broken.

replyfromAmtrak.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back