Lounge Access Questions

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yyy

It is said that "Amtrak passengers with a same-day travel ticket (departure or arrival) in First Class or sleeping car accommodations" can access the lounge. But if I have a same-day sleeper ticket from Bloomington to Los Angeles on Texas Eagle, can I access the lounge in Chicago (I bought Texas Eagle coach class from Chicago to Bloomington to save money)?

Last edited:
Lounge access is set by the Lounge Ogre of the day who throws a dart at a board to determine the rules for that day. One can never be sure of any Amtrak rule because the Standards are meant to be ignored. The only safe thing is to ask Amtrak via email and get a written reply or find the rule on Amtrak's site and print it so you can show the Ogre that they are wrong. They will hate you forever and mark you for death but we all die sometimes so might as well get the access we are entitled to.

Boy, that's a really technical question. You have a sleeper ticket, but it's not out of Chicago, so you're not really a sleeper passenger until Bloomington. How much money did you save by short-circuiting the sleeper ride until Bloomington? If you want to save money, why not St. Louis? Anyway, I suggest you consult with an attorney oh this. It's a real quagmire. Of course hiring a lawyer will cost you a lot more money that whatever you saved by riding coach to Bloomington.

I was always allowed use of the lounge at NYP when using a Regional to connect to a sleeper on the Capitol Limited.

The rules do say a same day sleeper ticket.

However, I can see problems cropping up with deferred sleeper occupancy on the very same train if the lounge staff decides to make an issue of it. Especially with those friendly folks at Chicago.

Boy, that's a really technical question. You have a sleeper ticket, but it's not out of Chicago, so you're not really a sleeper passenger until Bloomington. How much money did you save by short-circuiting the sleeper ride until Bloomington? If you want to save money, why not St. Louis? Anyway, I suggest you consult with an attorney oh this. It's a real quagmire. Of course hiring a lawyer will cost you a lot more money that whatever you saved by riding coach to Bloomington.

Riding the Eagle in a sleeper from Bloomington to LA and that $13 coach ride from Chicago saves over $200. Done that several times. A roomette from Bloomington to LA was $449 until a few months ago. Now it's $653. Low bucket for one senior. You could ask to use the Chicago lounge but with that savings not having access is not that big a deal.

Riding the Eagle in a sleeper from Bloomington to LA and that $13 coach ride from Chicago saves over $200. Done that several times. A roomette from Bloomington to LA was $449 until a few months ago. Now it's $653. Low bucket for one senior. You could ask to use the Chicago lounge but with that savings not having access is not that big a deal.
Since you have a Same Day Sleeper Ticket, you will be able to use the Metro Lounge in Chicago.

Back