Lounge in Chicago

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
very nice lounge but not sure they will have food/drink out due to Covid, but in terms of space to relax it's nice, clean, tables, chairs, comfortable other chairs, etc.

The lounge was relocated to a new area of the station a few years ago. It is spacious and gorgeous.

I choose to sit in the upper level, where it's less crowded and I have a view of Canal Street. Most people seem to congregate in the lower level, near the televisions. There's also a nice kids' area with a television that shows Disney programming.

As wwchi said, they may not have food and drink out right now. They usually have fountain soda and coffee along with a snack bar of some sort. They also have a nice shower room, which is still open.

There are lots of pictures here:

https://chicagounionstation.com/travel/metropolitan-lounge

I think I've heard that the upper level has been blocked off, during the pandemic, but that may have been just the day the person who said it was there.
As I recall, when I passed through there at the end of Sept (twice), the soda fountain was not in use.

How far is it away from the gates?
Have you been to Union Station? The lounge is off the Great Hall, near the automatic doors to the ticketing area.

If you've never been there, it's like walking half a block. If you have mobility issues, you can request a Red Cap. They have motorized carts and drive groups of people to the trains.

FYI, the distance between the centerlines of Clinton and Canal Streets on AmtrkBlue's map is 400 feet. However, you don't have to walk across Canal Street to get from the lounge to the tracks because both of those are below ground level where the street is.

Last edited:
FYI, the distance between the centerlines of Clinton and Canal Streets on AmtrkBlue's map is 400 feet.
Ooh, that means I was close when I said a half-block from the lounge to the gates. :) I meant half of a Chicago "long block", which works out to ~330 feet.

I think I've heard that the upper level has been blocked off, during the pandemic, but that may have been just the day the person who said it was there.
As I recall, when I passed through there at the end of Sept (twice), the soda fountain was not in use.
That was the case last September and October when I went through there.

Maybe the best lounge in all of Amtrak...the new Moynihan probably bests it, but I haven’t seen that one in person.

And the showers are fabulous after two nights on a western train or on an August day after bicycling 40 or 50 miles along Lake Michigan 😉
Does the new lounge at Moynihan have showers too? Or is Chicago the only lounge that does?

Maybe the best lounge in all of Amtrak...the new Moynihan probably bests it, but I haven’t seen that one in person.

My favorite is still Philadelphia. I feel like a railroad executive looking out over the station and then taking a “private” elevator direct to the platform. Plus the snack and beverage selection is excellent and so far *knocks on wood* I’ve always had friendly attendants.

It is a shame they no longer have storage for luggage though...

My favorite is still Philadelphia. I feel like a railroad executive looking out over the station and then taking a “private” elevator direct to the platform. Plus the snack and beverage selection is excellent and so far *knocks on wood* I’ve always had friendly attendants.

It is a shame they no longer have storage for luggage though...
I also enjoy the Philly lounge. I grab a pretzel from the stand at the station and get my drink in the lounge. Whenever I want to go for a walk between trains I always bring my luggage to the front and it's safe.

Thanks, Business Class passengers can buy day pass to the Philly lounge, right? One leg of my vacation this summer gives me a 3.5 hour layover before Business class on the Pennsylvanian.

Back