Low Bucket Alert post needed?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheerose

Train Attendant
Hi all

Does it help people to alert them to low bucket room fares? Maybe more appropriate for the long distance runs?
I came across some on my 2022 trip research this afternoon and didn't know if a separate thread would be warranted ... or if there was one master one to highlight these fares.... or if we let other people find it for themselves?

Of course, I haven't booked anything, so the mere act of alerting people could raise fares for me later :D

There used to be a website known as "Amsnag" where you could find fares between any two points in the full variety of accommodations over a 30-day period. It is my understanding that updates to Amtrak's website rendered Amsnag's software unusable.

I recently found a low-bucket Bedroom on the Empire Builder two weeks before my departure on dates when fares had been much higher over a period of about six months. It would have been great if I could have been alerted to this, but the chances of that happening are pretty slim. As far as I can tell, there are no trends on Amtrak pricing.

Yeah - I've seen some EB fares definitely drop since I last searched about 2 weeks ago.

For me, the inspiration for this post was finding Roomette fares in the low bucket for the CZ in mid/late April. I realize that AmSnag isn't around any more ... so figured that posts here would help a bit.

Does it help people to alert them to low bucket room fares?
How do you know that the low bucket you found is the lowest possible bucket? This struck out as I now see you're aware of the thread with the bucket charts. Back to your question.

Does it help? It certainly wouldn't hurt. Especially as most forum members seem to realize the offer of a low bucket can be a fleeting thing. In addition, those familiar with the bucket charts might even realize a low (aka, lowest possible) bucket may never have been offered - or never have been noticed if offered by Amtrak.

Perhaps one of the moderators knows of an efficient way to implement your idea.

Last edited:
Back