Low Bucket Price Increase?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking up my usual "commuting" between Southern California and the Bay Area and noticed the base price seems to have gone up by at least $5. I checked multiple trips on multiple dates and they all showed a new higher base price on the Coastal Bus, Coast Starlight, and San Joaquin traveling in that market (Same start and end points). I also checked another routing in the Bay Area and the price also went up on the CS and CZ by $1-2. The Capitol Corridor price remained the same as it is on a fixed price table.

Is it just me or has there actually been a 5-10% price increase on the low bucket pricing on some routes? Checked a roomette for the heck of it too and the base price on my usual segments went up $4-6 per room. Not much of an increase but still noticed.

Has anyone else seen anything similar or is it just me?

This is happening just about everywhere in the system (we've seen annual hikes like this in VA every year for the last few years). Part of it is the run-up to PRIIA taking effect, but part of it is also the fact that there are only so many seats to sell. In some sense, I think Amtrak is trying to avoid a mess like they ran into in the Carter era (where they estimated they turned away about a million and a half passengers due to a lack of equipment) or a "fare wall" where prices jump by 25% when ridership hits a threshold...but to increase the upper buckets, they also have to hike the lower ones.

I guess I just never thought about it since I have been taking the trip for the same price for a while now. I'm more used to the Capitol Corridor Fare Increases which are announced and planned for specific costs on a fixed cost table. But Amtrak has to raise fares too. Just unfortunate I only booked half of my travel before the fare increase took affect.

Yep. Basically, Amtrak keeps filling the trains up. Until Amtrak gets more rolling stock, it makes sense to raise the base price as long as the trains keep filling up...

I'm hoping that when new rolling stock arrives there will be some relief from the continuous price increases, as perhaps it will be harder to fill longer trains. :) But as long as the trains keep filling up, Amtrak will keep raising prices.

And you are right that the high bucket went up too from $99 to $111. I suppose the casual traveller may not notice as much but for the regular traveller the price increase may be more noticable. As long as Amtrak can keep filling the trians though, that will be great news!

I think that is what happened to me this past week. Cheaper on Sunday than the rest of the week.

Is it just me or has there actually been a 5-10% price increase on the low bucket pricing on some routes? Checked a roomette for the heck of it too and the base price on my usual segments went up $4-6 per room. Not much of an increase but still noticed.
Has anyone else seen anything similar or is it just me?
I just realized that my usual fare between Utah and California has gone up $3.00 for low bucket coach and $3.00 for a roomette.

The lead station agent at Glenwood Springs, CO told me on 12 February that a 3% (more or less) increase in fares took effect Amtrak system-wide that day.

On a quick check, it seems that the NEC wasn't affected by this...but I think Amtrak may hike fares on different segments at different times to limit the sticker shock on through tickets. With that said, it was probably the whole LD system that was affected.

I think I am glad I booked when I did. Now I hope I don't have to cancel:)

The lead station agent at Glenwood Springs, CO told me on 12 February that a 3% (more or less) increase in fares took effect Amtrak system-wide that day.
No. NEC fares remain unchanged from their most recent price hike, which was sometime within the last three months IIRC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back