Low Bucket Sleepers 11 Months Out

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
Of the 42 sleepers available on 16 LD routes, 26 were available at low bucket on the first day they became available and 27 were available at low bucket 4 weeks earlier at the start of the 11th month. That's about 63%.

For those who doggedly insist there's no reason to look for low bucket fares 11 months out (and to start looking for them at the 5th month) please remain firm in your belief. That'll mean more low bucket fares will be available for the rest of us who'll chance a look at the 11th month.

I appreciate that you monitor the buckets and report your findings. Thank you.

You have confused me, however.
[...] 26 were available at low bucket on the first day they became available [...]
[...] 27 were available at low bucket 4 weeks earlier [at the start of the 11th month.] [...]

Some were at low bucket on the first day they became available, and others were at low bucket 4 weeks earlier? It sounds like they were available before they were available, and I'm having trouble parsing.

Was there a correlation between low bucket availability and geographic location? For example, did the western routes seem to have low bucket availability compared to the eastern routes, or vice versa?

I appreciate that you monitor the buckets and report your findings. Thank you.
You're welcome.
You have confused me, however.

Some were at low bucket on the first day they became available, and others were at low bucket 4 weeks earlier? It sounds like they were available before they were available, and I'm having trouble parsing.
The 4 week separation between the figures given was for the dates of travel entered in the search and not when the searches were made. The searches were made within a few days of each other, the last one done yesterday.
Was there a correlation between low bucket availability and geographic location? For example, did the western routes seem to have low bucket availability compared to the eastern routes, or vice versa?
Little significant correlation. The Eastern routes had an average of 3.2 low buckets per route while the Westerns averaged 3.4.

The only previous data on hand for comparison is for Roomettes, done almost exactly two years ago. AmSnag was up and running at that time, so 30 day searches covering the entire 11th month were done for both direction on each route. Of the 960 possibilities, low bucket Roomettes were available 396 times, or 41% of the time.

Data for Roomettes extracted from this latest look-see showed low bucket Roomettes were available 27 times of the 32 possibilities, or 84% of the time. But as the study done two years ago had 30X more data points, comparing them may not be on the firmest possible ground.

Last edited:
Back