Lower coach fare, but higher roomette...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MyJourneys

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

If the coach portion of my fare is lower, but the roomette portion is higher, will Amtrak refund the difference in lower coach fare without adjusting the roomette portion to the higher price?

A Room upcharge should always drop the Coach fare to the lowest bucket (regardless if it is available to the public or not). It is not as easy as 'refund the coach difference' either.
First off, how much is the difference.

Second, when is the travel - you could be hit with a penalty %

Third, IF the agent can refund no charge and rebook, are they good enough to get that same Room and Rate back before someone else snags it up. If not, then you get stuck at the higher Room rate.

It's a $20 difference in the coach fare, and I'm traveling in a week.

I'd rather not risk a higher fare, so I'll leave it alone. :)

It's a $20 difference in the coach fare, and I'm traveling in a week.

I'd rather not risk a higher fare, so I'll leave it alone. :)
That would be my advice; it you're already paying an accomodations upgrade, $20 should be nothing. (In airfare parlance, that's not even a bag fee for those carriers tha charge, and only around one-fifth of a single nasty penalty charge.)

A Room upcharge should always drop the Coach fare to the lowest bucket (regardless if it is available to the public or not). It is not as easy as 'refund the coach difference' either.

First off, how much is the difference.

Second, when is the travel - you could be hit with a penalty %

Third, IF the agent can refund no charge and rebook, are they good enough to get that same Room and Rate back before someone else snags it up. If not, then you get stuck at the higher Room rate.
I think s/he means the coach portion of her trip, not the rail fare.
OP, if you're seeing a coach fare drop on a segment where you're traveling in a room, don't worry about it as the "coach fare" charged was the lowest bucket fare when you booked regardless what coach passengers were being charged at that time.

Thanks everyone! The coach fare for the trip in question was $127 according to my Amtrak receipt. Now the fare is $107, so I guess they've lowered the lowest the bucket fare.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am going with the assumption that both coach and roomette will be used on the same one way trip. I would call Amtrak explain the situation ask for the lower coach fare and see what they say. They will probably tell you that you received the lowest combined bucket fare available for the total trip when it was booked. If the roomette price just went up and the coach fare went down you will probably need to live with those prices, but asking costs nothing.

There is currently (ending today) a Winter Sale Fare with 20% of coach prices on many long-distance roads. This appears as the Saver fare if your looking on line (It has a few more restrictions than the Standard Coach fare). The 20% off discount isn't combinable with Sleeper reservations, so your accommodation charge would be the lowest bucket of the highest Standard Fare option.

Normally that is the case your guaranteed the lower coach fare except when they put said lower coach fare on sale which is happening through the end of today. You can't

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back