Lower level Coach travel

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some questions regarding lower level Coach seating, and I hope some of you can help me with this, as I am now preparing for my fall trip to Seattle. I am wondering how is the ride in lower Coach on a cross-country trip of several days? I am in my mid-60's, and would love having the restrooms on the same level as my seat. Would I need doctor's verification to reserve such a seat? And how crowded is the lower level in Fall and Winter? How is the visibility of the scenery on the lower level? Are there 120V plug-ins at the seats? Thanks for any help you can give me. :)

I only rode the lower level in a roomette. It was a little odd, felt like I was really low to the ground and I feel like the view is better upstairs. However, there are far less people downstairs, you do have the bathroom right there, and all the LL Coaches i saw had a separate door to keep noise down. Upstairs has a little more sway then the lower lever, but i personally liked the sway as I was going to sleep. How far are you travelling? Have you considered the upgrade to a roomette? It includes meals which could save a lot of money. If mobility is an issue, the room attendant will bring food to your room. Enjoy the trip!!

I have been from Chicago to Seattle round trip in lower level coach a couple of times. While many prefer the scenery on the upper level, I enjoyed it just as well from the lower level. It is nice having the restrooms on the lower level, but the dining car, observation car are on the upper level, so be ready for a few trips upstairs.

The last time I was in coach in the Fall, it got quite crowded. While you don't need a doctor's verification, you may be requested to move to make room for people who have more severe mobility issues.

I'm not sure about the plug-ins at all seats. The last time I was in the lower level there were plug ins at some, but not all of the seats. However, everyone is generally cooperative about reaching across to access the plug.

When traveling coach, we always travel lower level. One look at my trache and there are no questions,,,,

enjoy the trip

I have some questions regarding lower level Coach seating, and I hope some of you can help me with this, as I am now preparing for my fall trip to Seattle. I am wondering how is the ride in lower Coach on a cross-country trip of several days? I am in my mid-60's, and would love having the restrooms on the same level as my seat. Would I need doctor's verification to reserve such a seat? And how crowded is the lower level in Fall and Winter? How is the visibility of the scenery on the lower level? Are there 120V plug-ins at the seats? Thanks for any help you can give me. :)
No doctors note or any type of verification is needed. The seats are bookable to anyone on the Amtrak website.** Can't speak to the crowdedness question or the plug-in question. Visibility is fine IMO but you can always head to the Sightseer Lounge if you want a "higher" view in specific areas.

Generally it's a quieter area, but it's also small, relatively speaking. That means it just takes one "weird" passenger and all of the sudden the whole space is inflicted with their weirdness. Noise and awkwardness don't dissipate in the same way they do in the much larger upstairs coach seating area.

**That's an important point, because if you want to sit there, you need a specific Lower Level coach reservation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I booked a lower level coach seat for 100 miles just to experience the only Amtrak accommodation that I had not used. First impression was that it was much quieter than upstairs. The door effectively reduces the noise from the rest rooms and boarding operations. There were only ten people in the LL seats. I would say that many were stair challenged by age or obesity. There was one prolific talker that thought the rest of us wanted to hear his life story. He wasn't weird, just gabby.

I booked a lower level coach seat for 100 miles just to experience the only Amtrak accommodation that I had not used. First impression was that it was much quieter than upstairs. The door effectively reduces the noise from the rest rooms and boarding operations. There were only ten people in the LL seats. I would say that many were stair challenged by age or obesity. There was one prolific talker that thought the rest of us wanted to hear his life story. He wasn't weird, just gabby.
:mellow:

That's weird enough for me.

one time a conductor I knew put an unruly family in the lower level. Just the dad and the 3 misbehaving boys. Nobody else. Pretty funny actually that it was the dad who had to put up with that the whole ride - no escaping your badly behaved kids in that situation! Conductor didn't want them causing a ruckus all over the train.

one time a conductor I knew put an unruly family in the lower level. Just the dad and the 3 misbehaving boys. Nobody else. Pretty funny actually that it was the dad who had to put up with that the whole ride - no escaping your badly behaved kids in that situation! Conductor didn't want them causing a ruckus all over the train.
Sounds like a great Conductor! Reap what you sow!

I rode lower level coach around Christmas ABQ - LAX a couple years ago. I booked a lower level when making my reservation, as at the time I was around 67 and walk with a cane (stairs being a problem for me). There were passengers there who appeared younger and healthier, but their presence was not questioned. (That might have happened had there been a need for a lower level seat for someone else)

The trip got off late (around midnight) from Albuquerque due to a snowstorm between ABQ and CHI, so most folks slept through the night.

Each seat was taken.

We arrived in LAX around noon, and the morning ride was relatively quiet with little chatter.

As for the view, I'd equate it with what you'd see from a car (auto) ride.

Thanks, everyone, for your thoughts and experiences. After weighing the pros and cons of the question, I have decided to leave those limited seats for those who really need them. I'll be upstairs with the hoi polloi LOL. As to the question of a sleeper, even for part of the trip, the cost is a budget buster. I do OK in Coach, as for me, it is sort of a camp out on wheels.

I think you made an excellent decision.

Since this is your first experience on Amtrak it will be good to maximize your view with the higher seat. Also, unless you go to the restroom very frequently, you will do less stair climbing with an upper level seat since you will be on the same level as the observation and dining cars which you will no doubt frequently visit to stretch your legs and get some break from just sitting in your assigned seat.

Have a fun trip!

I am only 13 y/o, and I travel LL because it is very quiet, and like the extra legroom (if I can get it) for the two most forward seats on the right side, also on shorter trips with my grandma where we are not in sleeper, we travel LL, even though she can easily climb stairs, but likes the only 12 seat area, where there are less people to annoy you. (I will move for any body who needs the LL seat, but usually, there are many open seats, because on my current EB trip (yesterday/this morning) was a "sold out" train, but me and my dad each got two seats to sleep in. (MSP-SEA)

Last edited by a moderator:
Although on my last EB trip, my ticket was for upper level, but I spent no time at all in my seat, not even sitting in it, all of it in the lounge or dining car, (six hour trip, MSP-CBS with extra cars, a broken down engine, an extra BNSF engine limited to 70 MPH, and lots of CP slow orders)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back