Lower Level Roomette

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alang

Train Attendant
Have a lower level Roomette (#13) on the CZ next week...how is the view? Is it loud? Is it too late to request a change? Any advice or comments appreciated.

You have my room!
default_sad.png
I was in #13 called because of a price change and they changed my room! By the time I called back #13 was gone and I am stuck with #11.

There is a lot of debate on lower lever vs upper level. I prefer lower. Less rooms down there and a lot more privacy. Plus the showers are on that floor.

If you want a better view just go to the observation car.

I prefer lower level because I don't have to drag my carryon luggage up the stairs - but I'm a senior. Lower level is still higher than highway view from a car. Less foot traffic, less shaking. I don't think it's loud, but I think loudness depends more on your proximity to the engine and the horn. That's why I bring an MP3 player...

Upper - slightly better views, don't have to climb the stairs for the coffee or getting to the diner. It all depends on your needs.

The first time I got a lower level roomette I was hooked. Less foot traffic by the door, close to the toilets and shower, and able to stand in the vestibule and occassionally take a photo or two on either side of the train through the doors. Although I make it a point to travel light-enough to not need a giant suitcase, having the baggage storage area right there makes for easy access. When I book more than a couple months ahead of departure, I specifically ask for #14 or #13. They're adjacent to the family room which is frequently empty during the non-summer non-holiday months...no noisy kids. Oh, and as I usually have to use the toilet at least once per night, I automatically avoid using the 'over used' upstairs toilet that the occupants of 10 roomettes use A LOT! (wet floor, etc).

On the negative side, if you're unlucky enough to get #11 or #12, you'll hear noisy passengers (de-)boarding during the night. It seems like there's always some really loud passengers on or off at 2 AM or so. Perhaps they've imbibed too much beforehand. My biggest complaint on the lower level is uncontrolled and/or noisy kids in the family room. Whether it's crying babies/toddlers or running up and down the hallway, I find them annoying. I prefer peace and quiet, myself. Maybe that comes from never having had kids of my own. As mentioned by others, it's a trip up the stairs for coffee, or to the diner, or to the rear of the train to look out the back window.

One advantage of lower level rooms for a photographer is the ability to clean your window at stops with suitable platforms. For the CZ, this is especially important if your room is on the South side of the train.

One advantage of lower level rooms for a photographer is the ability to clean your window at stops with suitable platforms. For the CZ, this is especially important if your room is on the South side of the train.

Excuse the hijack.

So south side is the better side on the CZ? Should we seek out the sight seeing lounge, for sure, if not on the south?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the ol' daze, I always insisted on a Lower Roomette. Very private, 3 bathrooms and a large shower. I used to reserve THREE (me, niece, sister) and the 4th was used by staff. Since retirement...I get 2-adjoining bedrooms upstairs when it's me and the niece...but still go down to use the bigger shower. No one walking by you when downstairs. Oh...but I'm talking about 15 years on the AT. The AT is pretty full, always screaming kids in the Family room...closest to #13 & 14. The AT is non-stop, so no one will be "(de-)boarding during the night". Half the trips I'm alone...but still prefer the full bedrooms (A or N) to stretch out.

I was in #13 on the SWC and enjoyed its location. I'd ask for it again! I especially liked the vestibule nearby and spent some time taking photos out the window on "other" side. I found the nearby restrooms very handy, always clean because they were not overused, and with the shower so close it was a quick scoot back to my room in my wrap and very thin (spa) flip-flops... things I really wouldn't want to be wearing up the stairs and through the train upstairs.

Walking up the stairs a few times was not an inconvenience, and I didn't need to have to carry my should tote bag up and down the stairs; my small suitcase was just a few steps away in the luggage rack if I needed anything, which I didn't. Being one room removed from the stairs and the vestibule meant I didn't have to be concerned with noise from them. The family room next to me was occupied by a father and his adult son, so no noise of concern there.

It's possible that the SCA was somewhat less accessible but I only had him turn down the bed, and he did that when I went to dinner. I didn't need to call him so I can't judge if he'd have been slower responded to a lower level room.

Overall, I think it's a great location, I hope you do also. Please come back and tell us what your experience was. m--

I prefer lower level because I don't have to drag my carryon luggage up the stairs - but I'm a senior.
Why must you drag your carryon up the stairs?
default_huh.png
I do not, and just leave it in the luggage rack. And when I go to the shower to change, I just grab my stuff from my bag, and then put the used stuff back in the bag and on the rack.
BTW - I am semi senior too.

It's possible that the SCA was somewhat less accessible but I only had him turn down the bed, and he did that when I went to dinner. I didn't need to call him so I can't judge if he'd have been slower responded to a lower level room.

My experience the SCA was more accessible since she had to be on the lower level to open and close doors at stops.

Until my last trip I was always on the upper level--and was initially a little miffed to find I was assigned a lower-level room from DC to Montana, but ended up really liking it. I didn't feel like much was lost view-wise (and was in the lounge for most of the best parts anyway), liked quick access to the bathrooms and shower, and it was easy to step off at longer stops... though it can get a little noisy if the family room is occupied.

Excuse the hijack.

So south side is the better side on the CZ? Should we seek out the sight seeing lounge, for sure, if not on the south?
Not exactly and it has nothing to do with the scenery.

The South side of the CZ (or any other East-West going train) is the worst side because the sun will be shining on the windows making it difficult to get good pictures - even if the windows are clean.

I prefer lower level because I don't have to drag my carryon luggage up the stairs - but I'm a senior.
Why must you drag your carryon up the stairs?
default_huh.png
I've posted pics on the "Cooler" thread of our pre-boarding picnics & happy hours. Never had a problem with the stairs. And, we take one large cooler of food, another with ice, champagne, sodas and mixers, a liquor tote bag (6-bottle), 2 gym bags with clothes, a bag with blanket and pillow, and two computers for RedBox movies. Maybe 3 trips up & down, but never a problem...never run across anyone. We plan to be the last to board and last to de-board (have to wait an hour for the car anyway!). On the AT 8-times-a-year...will post pics of next weeks trip later.

I like the lower level because you're so close to the restrooms, showers, and baggage area. You have to go up and down the stairs more, and you might get a slightly worse view, but I prefer the lower level overall. Some people say that it's noise down there, but I haven't personally notice any extra noise. YMMV, but I don't think it's worth trying for a room change.

There are no "bad" rooms on Amtrak. There are some rooms that have characteristics that some people prefer to avoid. But no matter which room you're in, it's a pretty fine way to travel!

I book early, and seem to get assigned room 2 often. Some don't like it because of noise from the bathroom and coffee area. The only thing I noticed was occasional bad odors from the bathroom. For an upcoming trip, I have room 2 twice and I requested a downstairs room on another train.

When I was doing Roomettes, much preferred the lowers. But...keep one thing in mind: In a Roomette you sleep parallel to the tracks so sway sideways. In the Bedrooms, I'm sleeping perpendicular to the track, hence sway head-to-toe.

When I was doing Roomettes, much preferred the lowers. But...keep one thing in mind: In a Roomette you sleep parallel to the tracks so sway sideways. In the Bedrooms, I'm sleeping perpendicular to the track, hence sway head-to-toe.
Actually, most people experience motion sickness much more when pitching forward and backward, so I would think that most people would prefer the orientation of the roomette beds. Either way, I would agree that the lower level provides a much better ride - smoother and less sway-y, which I think is worth taking into consideration.

IMO, the main cons of the lower level are noise, having to go up and down the stairs all the time, and worse views. Pros are easy access to the bathrooms/shower/baggage area, less foot traffic, and better ride with less swaying. It depends on what your priories are, but theres a lot to be said for lower level rooms. So I would say that given youve already been assigned that room, and it might be a bit of a hassle to change your room without paying extra, its probably not worth changing it.

Agree that the rolling (side to side) is slightly less on the lower level. Also, since there are no lower level rooms located at the ends of the car, there is also slightly less pitch and yaw motion. OTOH, track and roadbed noise is slightly more noticeable...so you have to consider all that in addition to the other consideration's in choosing....

Agree that the rolling (side to side) is slightly less on the lower level. Also, since there are no lower level rooms located at the ends of the car, there is also slightly less pitch and yaw motion. OTOH, track and roadbed noise is slightly more noticeable...so you have to consider all that in addition to the other consideration's in choosing....
When I was in the Family Bedroom, I didn’t notice any extra track or roadbed noise. While it may very well be there, I think it’s pretty insignificant compared to everything else.

Unpopular opinion here:

I actually don't like the lower level. If you want to see much of anything, you have to go up to the lounge. My view was consistently blocked by other railcars sitting on sidings, tall grass, fences, etc. Even when my view wasn't blocked, it still looked different. (I'd been on this train at least ten times.) I really missed being up high.

While it was nice to have the shower right there, it didn't make up for having to walk upstairs every time I wanted to go to the lounge, eat in the dining car, and go to the cafe. I don't pack much, so carrying my small bag up the stairs is no big deal, and I don't require access to the baggage storage area. I'd rather just head up and be done with it.

Additionally, every time people boarded during the night, they woke me up. They would (loudly) ask the car attendant questions and chat with each other, all while the car attendant tried to whisper and make it a point that other people were sleeping.

I didn't notice a huge difference in the jerking and swaying, to be honest. While sitting in the dining car, I could tell we were swaying a bit more, but it wasn't so much worse than the lower level that I would be convinced to purchase a lower level roomette again.

I'm glad I had the chance to compare upper vs. lower (this last trip was my first time in a lower level roomette), because now I know to switch to the upper level if at all possible.

Unpopular opinion here:

I actually don't like the lower level. If you want to see much of anything, you have to go up to the lounge. My view was consistently blocked by other railcars sitting on sidings, tall grass, fences, etc. Even when my view wasn't blocked, it still looked different. (I'd been on this train at least ten times.) I really missed being up high.

While it was nice to have the shower right there, it didn't make up for having to walk upstairs every time I wanted to go to the lounge, eat in the dining car, and go to the cafe. I don't pack much, so carrying my small bag up the stairs is no big deal, and I don't require access to the baggage storage area. I'd rather just head up and be done with it.

Additionally, every time people boarded during the night, they woke me up. They would (loudly) ask the car attendant questions and chat with each other, all while the car attendant tried to whisper and make it a point that other people were sleeping.

I didn't notice a huge difference in the jerking and swaying, to be honest. While sitting in the dining car, I could tell we were swaying a bit more, but it wasn't so much worse than the lower level that I would be convinced to purchase a lower level roomette again.

I'm glad I had the chance to compare upper vs. lower (this last trip was my first time in a lower level roomette), because now I know to switch to the upper level if at all possible.
I think I preferred the upper level overall, mainly because I don't like to have to go up and down the stairs whenever I want to go to the dining car or SSL. And on a route with a lot of trees and objects along the scenic portions (like the CZ), the upper level can offer MUCH better views than the lower. I think it depends on the route and how you spend your day. If you're only really sleeping in your room, and spend most of the day in the SSL and diner, then the worse views and hassle of going up and down the stairs isn't as much of a big deal. And the convenience of being so close to the bathrooms, showers, and baggage area might be great. However, if you're spending most of your day in your room, and don't need easy access to the baggage area, having a quieter ride and not needing to use the stairs is also great. It really comes down to preference.

Back