Lower level roomettes in winter on EB

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Steve4031

Conductor
AU Supporter
I’m contemplating a trip in late December after Christmas. I usually book a lower level roomette. If one is in the Seattle section at the head end, how much is the view obscured by blowing snow?

Maglev

OBS Chief
I rode in the Family Bedroom on a very snowy trip, and don't especially remember any more obscurement of the view from my room versus the SSL. I think when one sees a train kicking up a cloud of snow, it appears more opaque than when one is on the train looking through it. The obscurement of view I experienced was from falling snow limiting visibility distance.

oregon pioneer

Conductor
IMO, the main drawback of the lower level in winter is that the vestibule door stands open at some very cold station stops, making the hallway quite chilly at times. The cure for this, of course, is to close your door at stops, whether you are in your room or taking a walk. The cold air never makes it upstairs.

chakk

Conductor
Riding across Canada on Via Rail's Canadian 5 Februaries ago, visibility was completely obscured across the plains of Sascatchewan from both downstairs and upstairs in the dome of the last car in all directions.

Bob Dylan

Conductor
Riding across Canada on Via Rail's Canadian 5 Februaries ago, visibility was completely obscured across the plains of Sascatchewan from both downstairs and upstairs in the dome of the last car in all directions.
Pretty common in the Great White North!