Lower priority luggage visible in back seat of cars on Auto Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AudenHoggart

Service Attendant
If we take the Auto Train from Sanford to Lorton we're likely to have some lower priority luggage that won't fit in the trunk. So it would be in the back seat and visible. What are people's experiences with this? I could throw a blanket over everything but I'm not sure what that would accomplish.

Thanks for any advice/experience.

I'm curious as to what "lower priority luggage" means. I understand there is a higher priority on the Auto Train for loading and offloading vehicles.

I can't see why it would really be an issue, but I haven't taken the Auto Train. I suppose there's no baggage service so everything goes in your vehicle except for carry on.

Still - they say there's no access to vehicles during the trip, so it wouldn't be like a vehicle ferry where there might be access (I even recall some people who never got out of their cars). Sounds like the possibility of someone breaking into your vehicle is minimal since people aren't allowed there.

Your stuff will be fine. Throwing a blanket over it would be a good idea. Once you exit your vehicle, they take a video it, and it's pretty much immediately loaded into the racks. There is virtually no chance anyone will be able to steal anything.

We used to be amused by the things people brought aboard the train. When you leave your automobile, everything that you don't need for your own personal use on your overnight trip should be left in your automobile. Take your toiletries aboard, possibly some games and/or communications devices, and maybe a change of clothes. DON'T FORGET TO KEEP YOUR MEDS WITH YOU! If you have little kids with you, don't forget diapers etc.! A contract chauffeur will drive your auto onto the auto carrier. The key is left in the automobile so the contract chauffeur at the other end of the line can drive your car off and deliver it to you. Several hundred cars a day are handled this way. If those drivers weren't trustworthy, they'd be out of a job. You obviously wouldn't want to tempt somebody by leaving the Hope Diamond on the seat, but I doubt you'll be bringing that with you anyway. If you feel more comfortable covering your belongings up, that would be understandable.

That's the perspective of a long-time Auto Train employee, now retired. A number of our other AU members have experience as Auto Train passengers, and I suspect they will agree with me.

Have a great trip!

Last edited by a moderator:
On a steamship they would be labeled "not needed on voyage". Is there pilferage on the auto racks? The TSA is well known for cherry picking the checked baggage they "inspect" for sale-able items.

I saw some video of the Auto Train loading and unloading.

There no way anyone is going to go in there except for Amtrak employees. So the question is whether or not you trust Amtrak employees.

We used to be amused by the things people brought aboard the train. When you leave your automobile, everything that you don't need for your own personal use on your overnight trip should be left in your automobile. Take your toiletries aboard, possibly some games and/or communications devices, and maybe a change of clothes. DON'T FORGET TO KEEP YOUR MEDS WITH YOU! If you have little kids with you, don't forget diapers etc.! A contract chauffeur will drive your auto onto the auto carrier. The key is left in the automobile so the contract chauffeur at the other end of the line can drive your car off and deliver it to you. Several hundred cars a day are handled this way. If those drivers weren't trustworthy, they'd be out of a job. You obviously wouldn't want to tempt somebody by leaving the Hope Diamond on the seat, but I doubt you'll be bringing that with you anyway. If you feel more comfortable covering your belongings up, that would be understandable.

That's the perspective of a long-time Auto Train employee, now retired. A number of our other AU members have experience as Auto Train passengers, and I suspect they will agree with me.

Have a great trip!
And I will note that the Hope Diamond was actually MAILED to the Smithsonian. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back