LSL 48 (7/13) Engine Problems

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohannFarley

Service Attendant
Had a couple of problems today on the Lake Shore Limited from Chicago heading back to New York. After Syracuse, one for the two engines had "computer issues," grounding us there for roughly an hour, making our rather on time train an hour and a half late into Albany. After we ditched the Boston section, we get our new engine, and leave Albany about a half hour late. Make it just past Poughkeepsie and yet again, grounded for another 10 minutes with a "computer glitch in this high tech locomotive" as the conductor put it. Is this a common problem with these engines? 2 separate failures on 2 separate engines.

Last edited by a moderator:
High tech ? Yeah it was high tech 20 years ago. Now there is hardly anyone who understands that tech. What few there are all working on vital space programs that have 20 year old equipment still operating.

One thing... It's 48 that originated in 7/13. 48(14) has yet to depart.

I have never actually had engine issues with the P42s, but I don't have to deal with them very often. Have had more than my share with the ACS64s, Acelas, and AEM7s.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sarcasm is clearly lost in translation but to answer your question, these engines are old and tired. As such, the chances that a computer glitch (which typically means it is a false indication) can and will shut down various components or the entire engine as a means of protection increases.

At least it was just a glitch and not a fire.

Sarcasm is clearly lost in translation but to answer your question, these engines are old and tired. As such, the chances that a computer glitch (which typically means it is a false indication) can and will shut down various components or the entire engine as a means of protection increases.

At least it was just a glitch and not a fire.
Well that's very true

Back