LSL, ALB to CHI best side of train end of May.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supportamtrak

Train Attendant
Hi everyone,

Which side of the LSL is best from Albany en route to Chicago at the end of May? Thanks in advance for your help.

Thank you for your reply. That's what I thought, but wanted to confirm. Since the train goes through New York at night, I'd rather ride to the right(roomette) and wake up to a better view.

Due note that the cars change positions, so you have no way to guarantee which side the roomette you booked/will book will be on until you board.

On the LSL, the first NY sleeper almost always provides the vestibule for the diner car, making it reasonably certain, but the one behind it may vary. The Boston sleeper is up front, I don't recall if it is consistent, but I doubt it....

The normal orientation of the sleepers on the Lake Shore is to have the accessible bedroom at the forward end. Possibly it varies from that pattern on occasion, but the sleepers have been arranged this way on every trip I've taken in both directions in recent years, on both the Boston and New York sections.

Thank you everybody for caring.

So, I called Amtrak to change my reservation from an even number roomette to an odd number one, and I was told it would cost me $70 to make such change... I've decided to remain in my original even numbered roomette.

in almost every case, It shouldn't be a chargeable change the key is getting an agent who knows how to "modify" not cancel and rebook at a higher price....try again for a different agent, or ask for a supervisor to assist the agent....

in almost every case, It shouldn't be a chargeable change the key is getting an agent who knows how to "modify" not cancel and rebook at a higher price....try again for a different agent, or ask for a supervisor to assist the agent....
Ahhh, thank you for the tip. Maybe I’ll give it another shot.

I'd say the scenery is reasonably good but not spectacular in both directions, so I wouldn't worry about it. I try to sit on the Hudson River side when I take the train from CLE-NYP, but I have no preference of side between CHI-ALB-BOS.

The end of May is only 3 weeks shy of the longest day of the year. Throw in daylight saving time, it should be daylight until somewhere around Utica. I've always enjoyed watching the Mohawk River (left side, westbound) versus a couple glimpses of Lake Erie and later, Lake Michigan as we approach Chicago. However, if the roomette across the way is vacant as the train approaches something I want to see, I have no problem sitting over there for a few minutes to see what I want to. The CSS&SB west of South Bend, Inland Steel mill (I used to work for one of their subsidiaries) and the Amtrak shops/yard are always right side points of interest to me.

I'd say the scenery is reasonably good but not spectacular in both directions, so I wouldn't worry about it. I try to sit on the Hudson River side when I take the train from CLE-NYP, but I have no preference of side between CHI-ALB-BOS.
Thanks for your input.

I’m grateful for all the precious input I’ve received so far. I’m also hopeful this can help other pax in the future.

I’ve finally decided to stick to my original even numbered roomette and not to rock the boat to avoid messing up my reservation.

To be honest, I’m just excited to be able to go somewhere, since I’m fully vaccinated and my immunity has reached its max.

I wish the same to all train travelers!

Last edited:
See for yourself what scenery is out the window by following the route on the scrollable topographic map available here: MyTopo Search The shaded North side of the train is always best for taking pictures to minimize reflections on the window glass. You can also get some idea of what's along the route from the Route Guide (no longer provided by Amtrak): Route Guides | About Amtrak | AmtrakConnect

The end of May is only 3 weeks shy of the longest day of the year. Throw in daylight saving time, it should be daylight until somewhere around Utica. I've always enjoyed watching the Mohawk River (left side, westbound) versus a couple glimpses of Lake Erie and later, Lake Michigan as we approach Chicago.

I agree wholeheartedly with this.

There is a very easy way to see the actual route. Go to Google Maps, and get directions from the Albany station to Union station in Chicago. Say that you are going to depart slightly before the LSL is scheduled to depart - and choose public transit as your transportation option. You will then be shown a very nice map with the LSL route highlighted.

On the LSL, the first NY sleeper almost always provides the vestibule for the diner car, making it reasonably certain, but the one behind it may vary. The Boston sleeper is up front, I don't recall if it is consistent, but I doubt it....
I have been on the Boston sleeper on 448/449 about a dozen times. Maybe it is just a coincidence but on all but one trip the bedrooms have been toward the front and the roomettes toward the rear.

I usually ride from NYP, and have only ridden from Albany or West a couple of times. I would defer to those who have been in it more often. I know there is a compelling reason for the first NY sleeper to face that way, but if the others are consistent, I guess that's a good thing...

I usually ride from NYP, and have only ridden from Albany or West a couple of times. I would defer to those who have been in it more often. I know there is a compelling reason for the first NY sleeper to face that way, but if the others are consistent, I guess that's a good thing...
In my mind the orientation of the Boston sleeper stands out because it seems to be one of the few consistent aspects of Amtrak travel.

I do think bratkinson is correct that the ride up the Mohawk Valley from Schenectady to Utica, visible from the left (south) side of the westbound train, is one of the most scenic parts of the trip from Albany to Chicago, and by late May you should cover almost all of that in daylight if the train is on time.

The next morning, you would get a few views of Lake Erie from the right (north) side, including from a causeway west of Sandusky, but these would all be before 6 a.m. if the train is on time. West of Toledo, I'm not sure either side is particularly more scenic for most of the distance, though you would see Lake Michigan out the right-hand side on the approach to Chicago.

I do think bratkinson is correct that the ride up the Mohawk Valley from Schenectady to Utica, visible from the left (south) side of the westbound train, is one of the most scenic parts of the trip from Albany to Chicago, and by late May you should cover almost all of that in daylight if the train is on time.

The next morning, you would get a few views of Lake Erie from the right (north) side, including from a causeway west of Sandusky, but these would all be before 6 a.m. if the train is on time. West of Toledo, I'm not sure either side is particularly more scenic for most of the distance, though you would see Lake Michigan out the right-hand side on the approach to Chicago.
Thank you for your insight.

Back