LSL Consist?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

choochoodood

Service Attendant
When travelling from CLE to CHI several times over the past few years, I've opted to take the Capitol Limited as I prefer Superliner coaches over Amfleet coaches.

As such, I've haven't personally seen the Lakeshore Limited since June 2014. I understand the consist has changed somewhat. As I recall, it was usually 2 P42s, BOS baggage, Viewliner sleeper, 2 Amfleet coaches, Amfleet cafe, heritage diner, 3 or 4 Amfleet coaches, 2 or 3 Viewliner sleepers, & NYP baggage.

I'm sure someone can tell me what the consist is these days.

As of right now you have 2 P42s, BOS Baggage, BOS Viewliner sleeper, cafe, 6 coaches, amfleet diner-lite, 2 NYP Viewliner Sleepers, and the NYP baggage

As of right now you have 2 P42s, BOS Baggage, BOS Viewliner sleeper, cafe, 6 coaches, amfleet diner-lite, 2 NYP Viewliner Sleepers, and the NYP baggage
I saw a video on YouTube where there were 3 Sleepers upfront, then a long line of Amfleets, and no Sleepers or baggage car on the rear. I wonder what was going on there.

I saw a video on YouTube where there were 3 Sleepers upfront, then a long line of Amfleets, and no Sleepers or baggage car on the rear. I wonder what was going on there.
That is how it operated when the Boston Section was going to New York due to trackwork making it impossible for the Boston Section to go to Boston.

There should have been a bag up front, and a Heritage diner somewhere in the mix in that time period. The cafe would have been an amfleet so it likely would have "blended in" with the coaches and not be noticed separately.

When the two trains are combined (49 & 449), the Boston section (449) is on the front of the New York section (49). This differs from other trains that are combined like the EB (8 & 28), or TE on to the SL (421 & 1) where the smaller consist is put on the rear or cut off from the rear.

I'm on it in November, I'm not holding my breath, but hopefully you'll be ok. The CAF order saga has generated a never ending stream of posts in various threads on this site.

I'm not sure it is the actual reason, but the P42s come from Boston, and they take over from the DM at Albany, so it seems to make sense to put them (with the rest of the Boston section) onto the front.

On the Empire Builder west of Spokane, sleeper car passengers get a boxed meal from the lounge car that is not on the menu of items available to coach passengers. On the Lake Shore Limited east of Albany, do sleeping car passengers get a similar meal from the café car?

Thank you for those links.

The menus show a price for beverages but not for the entrées. I wonder if non-alcoholic drinks are extra on the Boston leg or if someone at Amtrak just appended a page from a different PDF.

Thank you for those links.

The menus show a price for beverages but not for the entrées. I wonder if non-alcoholic drinks are extra on the Boston leg or if someone at Amtrak just appended a page from a different PDF.
If you're in a Sleeper car, you should already have free coffee and juice available in that car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like I said, I've never ridden the Boston leg. I only posted the links Amtrak has on their website. If they have been offering better choices, they should update their pages.
I was only saying that for anyone who is thinking of taking a sleeper between Boston and Albany. I do wish they'd keep the menus more up to date on the website. I'm legit shocked they have the updated Regional menu from last month posted already.

You are right...the major benefit of having "soft copy" is the ability to update it easily without incurring the costs of printing lots of new items. When websites have stale information, it greatly reduces peoples desires to go to/use that site. I use a text book that used to have a companion CD with lots of supplemental resources that constantly change. The latest edition went to QR codes and web links (for those without QR code scanning phones) Keeps everything up to date without massive printing and/or distribution costs...

I'm not sure it is the actual reason, but the P42s come from Boston, and they take over from the DM at Albany, so it seems to make sense to put them (with the rest of the Boston section) onto the front.
That is the actual reason. It is easier to swing a three car train with the power situated versus swinging an eight car train that would require a double drill (doubling up and an engine move).

That menu is over two years old, and I personally think the offerings have improved, at least with the stuff I've seen 449 loaded with from the commissary in Boston.
According to the Amtrak Food Facts website, the BOS section gets the following:

448 Dinner

• Vegie Bucatini Pasta
  • Beef Short-rib in Red Wine Sauce
  • Dessert:Tiramisu
  • Strawberry Cheesecake

449 Lunch

• Country French Frisee Salad, Hard Cooked Egg, Roasted Potatoes & Brie Cheese, Mustard Dressing.
  • Sandwhich Du Jour Chicken, Bacon, Red Onion & Pepper-Jack on a Pretzel Hoagie Roll.

[*]Same dessert offerings

peter

If Sleeping Car passengers don't want whats on offer for Lunch between Boston and Albany on 449, they can order from the Cafe Menu instead.

I've not ridden 448 from ALB-BOS so can't comment on that segment.

If you're in a Sleeper car, you should already have free coffee and juice available in that car.
True, but some people like tea (hot or iced), soda, or milk, all of which were available in the diner on my recent trips and none of which have I seen publicly available in the sleeper car—at least not in the last several years.

And I emphatically agree with those who say that the web site should be up to date.

Back