LSL Sleeper Lounge community seating

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My husband and I love to chat-up people we meet when out and about. It seems that here in Northern NJ it doesn't happen, at least for us. People just aren't that open to engaging with strangers. (And we're both lifelong NJ residents - so I feel that I can make this observation.)

But down on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, where we recently bought our future retirement home, it seems to be the norm every single time we go out. We've met the nicest people and spent many an evening laughing and talking with complete strangers.

I'm hoping the vibe on our trip in April (roundtrip on the LSL - New York to Chicago in a roomette) will be similar to this.

I guess this is to what Thirdrail7 was referring in his "community tables" comment in another thread.

This is just getting laughable. And you know what’s really sad... they paid someone to design and print those cards. Those cards cost as much, if not more, as plastic flowers that they can’t afford.

This is just getting laughable. And you know what’s really sad... they paid someone to design and print those cards. Those cards cost as much, if not more, as plastic flowers that they can’t afford.
I would rather see those cards than plastic flowers gathering dust.

I would rather see those cards than plastic flowers gathering dust.

Really? I thought the flowers on the table were always nice.

Those Viewliner diners are really classy... a flower on the table would increase the class, a paper card makes it more like a fast food restaurant. Granted that's what it is now... but still.

Last edited:
I guess this is to what Thirdrail7 was referring in his "community tables" comment in another thread.

As I mentioned, you should probably merge this with the Contemporary Dining thread since this applies to every train with Contemporary Dining...including the tiny Cardinal

As I mentioned, you should probably merge this with the Contemporary Dining thread since this applies to every train with Contemporary Dining...including the tiny Cardinal

Does the card change anything? Or just let people know shared tables are a thing so people can’t reserve a table just for themselves?

The cards are designed to encourage community seating --- since in just about every other dining experience in America you seat with people you know. Eating with strangers can be great -- or it can be awful.

"Priority seating for those who dine with fellow travelers"
"Priority"?
Priority what? I guess if you want to dine alone you are at the bottom of the list, LOL!

(Didn't see that last October on the LSL and Crescent. In fact, the dining car/sleeper lounge was sparsely populated.)

Shoots Anderson’s millennial BS out the door. I’m sensing they know they made a huge boo boo. Anderson is too full of himself to reverse the decision and bring the crews back though. That’s assuming he really really wants Amtrak to succeed which is probably doubtful at best
It is already clear that Anderson doesn't "get it," but will never admit a mistake or publicly back down. Look for hints about changing his "mistakes" through signs like those posted here.

I don't think a community seating card is going to change much in and of itself. I honestly don't mind dining with strangers when appropriate seating is available, such as with bar stools and lounge chairs. It's when I'm in a booth facing a phone zombie or seated next to a dog whistle martyr that community seating starts to feel confining and claustrophobic. Having to choose between active participation and awkwardly looking around the person in front of you doesn't feel comfortable or inviting to me. Speaking or responding to someone seated along a counter or set of lounge chairs just feels more natural and organic. In my view booths are great for friends but are not setup for casual encounters between complete strangers.

Last edited:
"Priority seating for those who dine with fellow travelers"
"Priority"?
Priority what? I guess if you want to dine alone you are at the bottom of the list, LOL!

(Didn't see that last October on the LSL and Crescent. In fact, the dining car/sleeper lounge was sparsely populated.)

That's what I'm wondering. Same when I rode the Meteor. There was never a problem finding an empty seat! And that was with the crew taking up a booth as usual. (Even though that is supposedly prohibited for the new diner lounges... what else is new?)

Not having been on any of the sleeper lounge set-ups, I'm guessing these cards are only on some of the booth, right? As in, "sit here if you hope somebody else will show up, have a seat, and strike up a conversation."

Seems like a good compromise for those who really savor the group dining and others who would rather stare out the window, and have to really work at talking to strangers. Though I have met some really interesting people in the dining car, sometimes I'm just not into it, but don't want to stay in my room to eat.

I don't think a community seating card is going to change much in and of itself. Americans will dine with strangers when more open seating is available like bar stools and lounge chairs. It's mainly when we're expected to face each other that community seating starts to feel weird and confining. Speaking or responding to someone while seated along a counter or in a lounge chair just feels more natural. If you lose interest you can shrug it off and face another way. Booths just aren't setup to promote casual encounters.
I respectfully disagree.

I am much more likely to talk with the people I am “forced” to share a table with on a train, than I am to the people in seats 23-A and 23-C on a plane that I am “forced” to sit next to! On my last 6 flights, I did not talk to the passengers next to me. And a few years ago, I had the middle seat on 4 flights, and did not talk to the passenger next to me!

I respectfully disagree.

I am much more likely to talk with the people I am “forced” to share a table with on a train, than I am to the people in seats 23-A and 23-C on a plane that I am “forced” to sit next to! On my last 6 flights, I did not talk to the passengers next to me. And a few years ago, I had the middle seat on 4 flights, and did not talk to the passenger next to me!
You seem to be assuming that everyone wants to talk to strangers at dinner. That is not the case. If you are not into small talk at dinner, having strangers sitting facing you at a booth makes that situation much more awkward particularly if they are talkative. At least with the new system, you were not forced into that type of arrangement. Sounds like they are moving back toward that with "reserved" tables for those who want to "chit-chat." Not a plus for my wife or me.

You seem to be assuming that everyone wants to talk to strangers at dinner. That is not the case. If you are not into small talk at dinner, having strangers sitting facing you at a booth makes that situation much more awkward particularly if they are talkative. At least with the new system, you were not forced into that type of arrangement. Sounds like they are moving back toward that with "reserved" tables for those who want to "chit-chat." Not a plus for my wife or me.

Well, if I want to chit-chat, I'd much rather have a designated table for it than have to make a choice of four tables with singletons, and no indication if *any* of them are open for a conversation. I'll be traveling again about this time next year, alone, and will have plenty of "me" time so I will definitely be up for the occasional chance to break out of that and be sociable.

I am not 'getting' this concept...are they trying to make micro "quiet zones" on some tables, and encourage socializing on other's? You pick up your meal at the counter and than choose? It seems bizarre, if I am understanding this correctly...o_O

I am not 'getting' this concept...are they trying to make micro "quiet zones" on some tables, and encourage socializing on other's? You pick up your meal at the counter and than choose? It seems bizarre, if I am understanding this correctly...o_O

I agree. Seems pretty odd and the table tents look tacky imho.

I didn’t see any issue at all with seating availability on the meteor, so I’m not sure what problem they are trying to solve.

I just hope that this current arrangement is just a 'bad dream', and things revert back to normal soon. The diner serves cooked meals, and socializing occurs in the lounge car. For all passenger's in each...
Glad to enjoy it that way on my CZ trip last week....

I like the idea of being able to choose whether you want to sit with others or sit by yourself. Depending on "who" is in the sleeper lounge and which way they are seated, I may choose to sit at a community table or choose to sit by myself. I like sitting facing the direction of travel. Sometimes I am sociable and sometimes I am not.

Back