LSL this weekend

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glensfallsse

Service Attendant
I'm on the Lake Shore Limited Albany to Chicago, beginning the trip Saturday. The forecast is for snow on Saturday night, possibly several inches, along with some wind the next morning. It's possible, though not convenient, that I could switch up and leave a day early.

So those who have experience with this, would anyone care to offer a guess on the chances they'll cancel the Saturday train because of weather? I understand that nobody can accurately predict these things three days ahead of time, but maybe you can just hazard a guess based on past experience with how quickly they pull the trigger on cancelling the LSL. I don't care if the train is late, just whether or not the ditch it completely.

I think cancellation of the Lake Shore would be highly unlikely unless it was a major storm which tied up all rail traffic generally. I would say that you are good to go. Of course I have been wrong before.

Here in Springfield MA, they're hesitant to forecast more than 3-5", and that's for the Berkshire Mountains between here and Albany. Even if it's 8" or more, it's unlikely that CSX would close the route to CLE, and NS certainly would do everything possible to keep the route open CLE-CHI.

Even though it's showing on the network news as a major storm, it doesn't seem major enough east of the Mississippi River to be a problem. But then, given Andersons' tendancy to close the NEC when more than 6" are forecast, who knows? I would have no reservations about taking the Lakeshore on Saturday night.

Hopefully I'll be on the same train. I'm taking my nephew from Boston to Chicago for the MLK weekend. We have a 449 sleeper from Boston, changing to a 49 sleeper in Albany for price reasons. Shoot me a pm and maybe we can meet up in one of the lounge cars. The kid will be glued to his screen...
Look for a tall, old guy with a backpack. I get on in Albany and I think I'm in the New York end. Weather doesn't look as bad as they made it out earlier in the week.

Back