Luggage full size (but within size restrictions)

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve P

First time traveling from New Haven CT to Miami FL. Amtrak’s website states “woven fabric zipper luggage” is unacceptable. I have an expensive heavy duty fabric zipper suitcase. Can anyone confirm that my luggage would be unacceptable? Thank you!

First time traveling from New Haven CT to Miami FL. Amtrak’s website states “woven fabric zipper luggage” is unacceptable. I have an expensive heavy duty fabric zipper suitcase. Can anyone confirm that my luggage would be unacceptable? Thank you!
I don't know. I've been traveling with this since 2008 or so:

20200305_085414.jpg

Now, I've never checked this as baggage on Amtrak (though I have on several airlines), but I've had no trouble with it as carry-on luggage. I also have a big fabric gear bag with zipper closures that I use to pack snowshoes and winter gear that I have checked as luggage on Amtrak several times. Also, I've checked zip-up nylon duffle bags as well on both Amtrak and various airlines.

I guess you are referring to The Amtrak "packing your luggage" page.

I normally carry one or two LL Bean rolling duffle bags which are made of woven nylon and have zippers and it has never been a problem. I see lots of similar bags on the trains, and don't remember ever seeing anything that said they aren't allowed.

I think the "woven fabric zipper bags" refers to the third picture, which appears to be a reusable shopping bag with a zipper closure, not a bag (like a duffle bag) designed to be used as luggage. The second picture, which shows a soft-sided roller suitcase, is problematic because it is not closed and the contents are falling out, not because it is soft-sided or zippered. It falls under the "containers that cannot securely hold their contents" provision. The zippers are broken or it is so overstuffed that it can't be zipped.

I have traveled many times with soft sided luggage. As others stated I think they mean bags not intended to be luggage.

I have traveled many times with soft sided luggage. As others stated I think they mean bags not intended to be luggage.
I think you’ve hit it.
Virtually all modern luggage made today are “fabric, zipper enclosed”. Even so-called “hard side” luggage have zipper enclosures. It is very hard (pun intended)🙂 to find “true” hard sided traditional luggage with latch enclosures, unless you spend a fortune for the likes of Rimowa or Zero Halliburton…

Oopsie.

I’ve been traveling lately with a bag that looks like number 3 in the picture—a reusable grocery shopping bag. I’m using a cane at the moment and find the bag easier to manage boarding and detraining with than a suitcase and cane.

Nobody has said a word.

I was in a roomette with two bags and the SCA just carried them on and off for me. (However, the first thing I said to him after “Hello” was “I know the bags look ridiculous” and then explained why I was carrying them.)

Last edited:
Big difference between how checked bags are viewed vs those that stay with you. They don't want to be responsible for stuff that will fall apart or spill contents while under their care.

Excellent point. Yes, the bags stay with me. And hopefully I’ll be stronger soon and can go back to a suitcase and looking like a real traveler instead of someone who was in the middle of shopping when she decided to take a train trip.😁

I guess you are referring to The Amtrak "packing your luggage" page.

I normally carry one or two LL Bean rolling duffle bags which are made of woven nylon and have zippers and it has never been a problem. I see lots of similar bags on the trains, and don't remember ever seeing anything that said they aren't allowed.

I think the "woven fabric zipper bags" refers to the third picture, which appears to be a reusable shopping bag with a zipper closure, not a bag (like a duffle bag) designed to be used as luggage. The second picture, which shows a soft-sided roller suitcase, is problematic because it is not closed and the contents are falling out, not because it is soft-sided or zippered. It falls under the "containers that cannot securely hold their contents" provision. The zippers are broken or it is so overstuffed that it can't be zipped.
Thank you very much.
I don't know. I've been traveling with this since 2008 or so:

View attachment 31573
Now, I've never checked this as baggage on Amtrak (though I have on several airlines), but I've had no trouble with it as carry-on luggage. I also have a big fabric gear bag with zipper closures that I use to pack snowshoes and winter gear that I have checked as luggage on Amtrak several times. Also, I've checked zip-up nylon duffle bags as well on both Amtrak and various airlines.
Thank you!, Steve

Only time I've checked luggage (soft-sided) was one trip east to Boston via the LSL. Husband and I decided to take the LSL out of New York for the trip home. We took a regional down from Boston and checked our luggage through. Well weather was cruddy in NY when we arrived at Penn Station so we hoofed the the snow and sleet to Grand Central. Sadly checked bags don't transfer there but they failed to tell us. Well, since we lived in Nashville at the time and seafood is not a big food item there. We had loaded one bag full of fresh seafood and put it on ice. Amtrak was excellent in their response and they flew them to Nashville and delivered them to the house the next morning. Actually a few hours after we got home from the drive from Fulton, KY. They were even proactive and repacked it with dry ice to save the fish. Only two item were iffy and disposed of.

And having worked in airlines my whole life I know they usually do not cover soft-sided luggage for damage including contents or at least the didn't back in the early 70's. I remember one lady that had packed 5 bottles of booze in her soft-side American Tourister bag and it fell off the baggage carousel. Bag was fine - bottles not so much. She wasn't happy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back