Luggage question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chertling

Lead Service Attendant
I'm taking a trip to NY this weekend via Amtrak. I know you can check bags from NYP to WAS via the overnight regionals, even if you are traveling on another train (I've done that before)... but is it possible to check your bag to WAS from NYP via one of the Long Distance trains? I know the trains are "boarding only" until they pass DC, but would they pull luggage off at DC if needed?

The reason I ask is we are returning late on Sunday and it would be much easier to check our bag at the station than at a third party bag storage place. I really don't want to drag a suitcase to all the tourist sites... and the fewer stops between our last activity and the train the better.

I live way out in the Suburbs, so dropping back by Union Station the next day to pick up our luggage isn't an option.

Not sure, so I won't say. But if I understand properly, why not just store it at NYP while you're out and then pick it up before you get on the train? $5.50/bag/day. Just did that ourselves.

That would work.... I guess the policy has changed since my last tip through NYP six years ago. They weren't very keen on day checking my bags the day I arrived, so I had to find a private luggage storage place a few blocks away.

Checking the bags for transit from NYP to WAS on Sunday morning and picking them up when I arrive back in DC Sunday night would be ideal... However, the train I'm taking doesn't have baggage service, my bags would be on another train. The only NE Regional to carry bags runs in the middle of the night.... so I'd have to drop my bags off at Penn Station the night before I return. I will need access to my bags the morning of departure, so that won't work.

I know the Long distance trains that originate at NYP carry luggage, but given they are "boarding only" until they pass WAS, I was wondering if they would still be used to transport bags checked to WAS. (IE: The train is boarding only at WAS, but does that mean the baggage crew won't be looking for bags to remove when it passes through WAS?) I noticed the southbound Carolinan allows discharge at WAS... but it leaves NYP too early to be of any use to me in this situation.

Since they do have day-checking now for departing passengers, I'll plan on doing that. If the baggage attendant can promise that my bags can get to DC on one of the LD trains, I'll do that instead.

As OBS said, you can check then on Sunday morning and they will be carried on one of the LD trains (Meteor, Star, etc...) to WAS. You can then pick it up in WAS when you arrive, and there will be no storage fees!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back