luggage storage at LAX first class lounge

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtkstn

OBS Chief
I am planning on departing from LAX on the SWC in Nov. Is the baggage storage area a good place to leave bags while exploring the downtown area.?

There is no separate storage area in the LAX Metropolitan Lounge. There is usually a fair amount of luggage sitting around the lounge belonging to people waiting for their train (which included business class passengers). A short time might be ok, not sure for longer periods of time.

Wait. The subject line says first class lounge; your text just says baggage storage area. That is not the same. The baggage storage area is available to anyone and has a per bag fee.

Lets see what others say.

Amtrak stopped using the term 'first class' years ago. Sleeper and Business ticket holders get use of the LAUS Metropolitan Lounge.

The last time I was in the LAUS Metropolitan Lounge (last May) most if not all lounge users just left their luggage there in the Metropolitan Lounge.

I had a 14 hour layover and spent little of that time in the lounge.

Last edited by a moderator:
The friendly attendant @ the check-in desk will let you place your stuff by the wall next to the desk (for Free )while you site see.

Or as was said, you can just stash your stuff in the Lounge and take your chances on it being there when you return. ( it should be OK, but don't try to save a chair by putting stuff in it, the Lounge is small)

Using a Redcap to board is a good idea since you get a ride on a cart to the platform. ( you cross active tracks)

Otherwise you have to go downstairs in the elevator, walk through the Station,down the Tunnel and up the Ramp to your Train.

I left my luggage there behind/beside the desk for about 6 hours once. No worries, they keep something of an eye on it. I have never once had a problem with leaving luggage in a Metropolitan Lounge/ClubAcela in the unattended baggage storage at LA, New York, Washington, DC and Chicago (pre-Red Cap era, haven't been there since the new lounge opened). Frankly, I found the Red Cap thing in Chicago kind of a pain and am just as glad it is gone.

Personally, I like using the tunnel and the boarding ramp in LA. Since the first time I was ever in the station was in 1958 when I was three, the tunnel and ramp just feel like Union Station ought to. I go so far as to use the steeper left side ramps, since they are original. The less steep, handicapped friendly ramps with the stairs in the middle on the right were put in when they closed the tunnel and did some rebuilding for a couple years when they put the Red Line subway in during the 80s

Last edited by a moderator:
The amount of bags in the room gets the area crowded. Bags near the desk are so thick it is hard to get to yours. I do not fear my bag being stolen, but it be accidentally confused with another. I put a bright green or orange strap around each bag plus a brightly colored lock so people will not mistake my bag with other black rollers.

Left my luggage at the Metropolitan Lounge many times. You show them your ticket to prove that you will be on a train and in a Sleeper or BC and the attendant will direct you where behind the desk to put it.

From the website:.( All meals for First Class passengers, passengers with sleeping accommodations ) The term is also used on Acela service.... There is an expression "Gone but not forgotten", but on Amtrak, when it comes to F/C, it might be: " Forgotten, but not gone" Actually, the Acela F/C is pretty good as a F/C corridor service, albeit pricey.....

Back