Luggage Tags

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NAVYBLUE

Lead Service Attendant
OK, I am 63 years old and wifey and I go shopping for luggage tags today for our SWC/CARD 12/11 and 1/8 CL/SWC excursion.

The checked bags ALREADY have strips of polka dot material tied to the handle and we use the airline tags(theirs) when we fly. So SHE picked NEON ORANGE tags so we could easily spot them.

OK, does that scream NEWBIE and DORK or I am being too overly sensitive.

See, I do have a sensitive side.

Take your shots. I'm a big guy.

Hey Texas Sunset. Here's a FREE shot to show we can agree to disagree (LOL)

NAVYBLUE

You can never be too cautious when dealing with checked bags. I have a black and white damask pattern carry-on with a big purple ribbon tied around the handle.
mosking.gif

:hi: Good idea Master Chief! You dont want to Stencil your Luggage like we did our SeaBags back in the day! :lol: Hopefully youll ride Amtrak enough to qualify for Select/Select+ Status and youll receive Personalized AGR Luggage tags for your bags! You will notice that just like airports, there will be lots of similar looking bags in the Luggage racks,it doesnt hurt to occasionaly check that yours is still there when you make Station Stops, some people are in a hurry and grab a bag when getting off that looks similar to theirs! Be Prepared is not just a Boy Scout motto! ^_^ Anchors Away!Bon Voyage!

Last edited by a moderator:
The more obvious the better, imo.

I just bought a purple carry-on because my usual black bag with the bright pink luggage tag gets lost in the shuffle on the Superliner lower level racks and gives me anxiety every time we stop.

I'm going to get these luggage pom poms I saw at Office Max a while back - they were around $6

Here's a website that sells them in a lot of different color combinations: Luggage Pom Poms

luggagepompom.jpg

Here's another company with a different type and lower price point: More luggage pom poms

My mom used grey duct tape to make a large X across the front and back of her suitcase as soon as she purchased it. "Nobody will mistake my luggage as their own, from now on!"

I should get her one of these luggage pom poms--she'd probably sneer...

I'm going to get these luggage pom poms I saw at Office Max a while back - they were around $6

Here's a website that sells them in a lot of different color combinations: Luggage Pom Poms
Those are cute!
They are!

I could probably make something like them or maybe even more obnoxious but I'm too lazy.

I also saw some zebra print luggage that I'm hoping to get from Santa
rolleyes.gif

As Amtrak requires claims to match, unlike airlines, you can't walk away with the wrong bag.

If you're at a station with a carousel, however, you might embarrassingly grab someone else's bag and be rejected on your way out.

I put small pieces of colorful duct tape on each side of my bag that I was going to check at the airport for the trip home so that no matter how it landed on the carousel I'd know it was mine. I also started a cross-stitch on the front but haven't finiished it yet.

Good itea to mark!

On one trip at a stop, I happened to go below to the baggage storage and saw a couple distracted by their yapping gather their luggage to leave. One of theirs is similar to mine and caught them just in time as they started off with the wrong luggage.

As Amtrak requires claims to match, unlike airlines, you can't walk away with the wrong bag. If you're at a station with a carousel, however, you might embarrassingly grab someone else's bag and be rejected on your way out.
The imperious tone of this sign in Denver's Union Station dovetailed nicely with the California Zephyr's four-hour, 45-minute delay...

2973703390_dbeb6fa147.jpg

I agree that it helps to have some unique marking on your bag. On our recent Texas Eagle trip, our red suitcase was missing from the sleeper car luggage rack when we got to San Antonio. SCA couldn't believe it, said he'd never seen that happen, but it did.

On the carry on stuff that is stowed in the downstairs luggage racks.....is it OK to use a small cable lock to tie it to the rack?

tonys96 said:
1323399833[/url]' post='334025']On the carry on stuff that is stowed in the downstairs luggage racks.....is it OK to use a small cable lock to tie it to the rack?
There's no way to secure the luggage to the racks as they're solid metal shelves with solid metal sides.The luggage winds up getting moved around too as people get off and board along the way.That's why some of us are *decorating* our luggage.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorcha, I absolutely loved the Kitty Cat one. Do you think anyone would notice if I strutted down the length of LA Union Station with the Kitty Cat in tow. My grand daughter had one like that when she did her first airplane ride going to Disney Florida at (5) years of age. She thought she was hot stuff. As it is we are checking the (2) bags with huge PINK tags tomorrow from LAX-WAS tomorrow on the SWC and CARD.

NAVYBLUE

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely nothing wrong with knowing which bags are yours. ^_^ My example: I also have a bright orange luggage tag that I use when I'm going to be away from home long enough to have my suitcase along (even though I'm starting to get a good supply of sturdy Amtrak-themed tags now), and my usual suitcase is my other favorite color. If I'm going to be gone more short term, I take my backpack, which has a tag attached but hidden in a pocket, ready to pull out when I need it.

Thanks everyone for your replies. Sorcha, I absolutely loved the Kitty Cat one. Do you think anyone would notice if I strutted down the length of LA Union Station with the Kitty Cat in tow. My grand daughter had one like that when she did her first airplane ride going to Disney Florida at (5) years of age. She thought she was hot stuff. As it is we are checking the (2) bags with huge PINK tags tomorrow from LAX-WAS tomorrow on the SWC and CARD.

NAVYBLUE
I think you could pull it off. It's all about owning the look. Strut away.
cool.gif

I did notice recently that duct tape is now sold in fun prints and patterns ;) I might just have to pick some up.

As the grandfather of two little girls, I can assure you that there are far gaudier bags than that "Hello Kitty" luggage. But you're right, it takes a certain je ne sais quoi to pull it off without looking ridiculous. Fortunately my granddaughters are girly-girl enough to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back