Main Hurricane Discussion Thread

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"The Executive Order includes the MANDATORY evacuation of the southeast section of Wilmington beginning at 6 p.m. Saturday." This includes the WIL station.

Article

*blinks*

So if I'm reading this right, a bad scenario could temporarily (as in, beyond the storm itself) knock out all three NYC airports? Has that happened in the last few decades? How long might that shutdown last?

Also, assuming the subway gets flooded, how long would it take to get the Hudson tunnels working again?

Another thought (since I'm having login issues), but if some of the lines have to remain out for a day or two next week (after the storm passes), could Amtrak scramble some additional work in while the line is shut down?

Another thought (since I'm having login issues), but if some of the lines have to remain out for a day or two next week (after the storm passes), could Amtrak scramble some additional work in while the line is shut down?
I sus[ect the maintenance folks will all be busy getting the system back up, to be able to spare any time doing anything else.AFAIK no work other than recovery is planned at the present time. All other scheduled work has been canceled for the time being.

I sus[ect the maintenance folks will all be busy getting the system back up, to be able to spare any time doing anything else.AFAIK no work other than recovery is planned at the present time. All other scheduled work has been canceled for the time being.
Exactly as Jis is saying. Based on what happened in the past with any of the hurricanes that hit the south. How do you think CSX got their line east out of New Orleans back in service as fast as they did? Every maintenance guy adn piece of equipment they could spare was down there. Track material intended for other locations went down there. For a specific: The company that had done the precast segments for the bridge superstructure for the concrete trestle at Bay St. Louis was called upon to pull out the plans for the original set and start casting new ones as quick as he could. Improvements planned for elsewhere just had to wait.

The Crescent now has been cancelled this weekend and early next week. So now I have to fly Delta to get to New Orleans. Delta put me in a center seat for the trip down, grrrrrrr.

BREAKING NEWS!

NY Mayor Bloomberg orders a MANDATORY EVACUATION for 'Zone A' residents!
This was expected. Really more a formality, than a surprise. The only way it wasn't coming is if Irene had gone east of the twin forks on LI.

Total transit shutdown across the NYC metro region and for the entire NEC. Not something you see happen very often.
It's not something that anyone has ever seen happen before.

This is the first time in the NYC Subway's entire 107 year history that the entire system has been deliberately shut down. It has never happened before.

Yes, there have been a few total shutdowns forced on the subway, thanks to power blackouts. But again, never has there been a deliberate & planned shutdown of the entire system.

Total transit shutdown across the NYC metro region and for the entire NEC. Not something you see happen very often.
It's not something that anyone has ever seen happen before.

This is the first time in the NYC Subway's entire 107 year history that the entire system has been deliberately shut down. It has never happened before.

Yes, there have been a few total shutdowns forced on the subway, thanks to power blackouts. But again, never has there been a deliberate & planned shutdown of the entire system.
I'm sure everyone who looks at this forum wishes you and everyone in the path of Irene to be safe and free from harm during a rough weekend.

*blinks*

So if I'm reading this right, a bad scenario could temporarily (as in, beyond the storm itself) knock out all three NYC airports? Has that happened in the last few decades? How long might that shutdown last?
All 3 airports are scheduled to shut down at Noon on Saturday. How long they'll be out of service is anyones guess.

Also, assuming the subway gets flooded, how long would it take to get the Hudson tunnels working again?
Flooding in the subway tunnels would have no impact on Amtrak's North River tunnels (aka Hudson). They aren't connected in any way.

And the flooding would have to be extraordinarilly bad to engulf the North River tunnels.

Of greater worry would be potential flooding in Queens at Hunters Point where the East River tunnels to Penn start. They are in the zone 2 area, which was not ordered to be evacuated as flooding is not expected to be that severe. But if they've miscalculated things, then access to Boston & Sunnyside Yard would be cutoff until they were pumped clear and wiring & signals replaced. This would also cut off the LIRR totally.

Amtrak & NJT could probably operate some limited service into Penn from the west, but it would hurt!

As for the subways, if the flooding is bad enough at the southern tip of Manhattan, it could be a very rough week here in NY while crews work to dry things and replace signals & wires. It would be almost as bad as the weeks after 9/11 in terms of subway service, with Brooklyn largely cutoff from Manhattan.

Not this time! I have a broken ankle in a cast and will ride it out at home.
sad.gif

And it's not just Alan and myself who will be affected. PRR60 is in NJ and Anthony is in WIL. They also will be in the midst of Irene!
ohmy.gif
Sorry to hear about the ankle :angry: Personally I was hoping you were going to hop on the penthouse suite and pick up those of us to the south that are in harm's way!

You have it all wrong, the traveler is going out for dinner at the IHOP!!

:eek:hboy: :help: :giggle:

All kidding aside, let's hope and pray that the loss of life and of injuries from this disaster is minimized by the advanced warning that we have been given. I hope that all of our members and their families ride out the storm safely.

I'm sure everyone who looks at this forum wishes you and everyone in the path of Irene to be safe and free from harm during a rough weekend.
Thanks! :)

My biggest worry should be power. Hopefully it will hold up.
Same for me. I fully expect a power loss, but the spoiled foods can be replaced.

I feel for the people who live in flood prone areas. If they are flooded, it will

be the third time this year that they have been flooded.

All kidding aside, let's hope and pray that the loss of life and of injuries from this disaster is minimized by the advanced warning that we have been given. I hope that all of our members and their families ride out the storm safely.
Amen to that Brother!

I've got most of my preparations done, with a few left to do. My two biggest concerns are loss of power and the trees around - and over - my house. The very latest forecast here has reduced top wind speeds a tad. I'm hoping that is a sign that the storm is tracking a bit more east than the forecasts last night.

DC's Metro still has no plans to shut down, but they've stopped service on elevated portions during past high wind events, and had flooding recently due to heavy rains, so we'll see what happens.

Last edited by a moderator:
LSL was cancelled today and tomorrow. Amtrak informed me they are running from CHI to TOL and no further during this time. Monday train from CHI to NYP is sold out.

Thanks! :)

My biggest worry should be power. Hopefully it will hold up.
Same for me. I fully expect a power loss, but the spoiled foods can be replaced.

I feel for the people who live in flood prone areas. If they are flooded, it will

be the third time this year that they have been flooded.
I was astounded yesterday at the Supermarket to see people loading up on Ice Cream. Yes Ice Cream, in preparation for a storm. I hope they have large ice boxes at home to keepthem frozen when the power inevitably goes out.

One of the bigger problems in NJ is going to be trees that topple over. The ground is already saturated with water weakening the tree's hold on the ground. Even perfectly healthy trees have been toppling over. And we are expected to get upto 10" of rain on top of this saturated ground with wind blowing at least a tropical storm force and possibly higher, sustained for upto 12 hours. Not a good mix even if you are far far away from flood zones. And guess where trees toppleover fall? On houses and power lines and roads.....

List of NJTransit Last Trains today.

Most upto date Amtrak NEC plan:

CANCELLATIONS:

Acela Express: 2253(27) cancelled *ENTIRELY*; 2250 cancelled NYP-BOS

Regional Svc:

135(27)-57(27)-165(27) cancelled *ENTIRETY*

159(27)-167(27)-169(27)-67(27)-192(27)-158(27)-182(27)-66(27) cancelled in entirety

163(27) cancelled *BOS-NYP* and *PHL-WAS*

99(27)-161(27) cancelled BOS-NYP

67(26) and 99(27) cancelled WAS-NPN

194(27) cancelled NPN-WAS and cancelled NYP-BOS

195(27) cancelled WAS-RVR

87(27) cancelled *PHL*-RVR

147(27) cancelled WAS-LYH

168(27) cancelled NYP-BOS

140(27)-146(27) cancelled NYP-SPG

164(27)-82(27)-88(27) cancelled NYP-BOS

54(27) cancelled NYP-SPG-SAB

Keystone:

671(27)-672(27)-610(27); 669(27) cancelled PHL-HAR; 670(27) cancelled PHL-NYP

Long-Haul Service:

89(27)-79(27)-19(27)-97(27)

98(27)-80(27)-90(27)-50(27)-30(27) cancelled

48/448(27) cancelled TOL-NYP/BOS

50(27) cancelled IND-NYP

91(27) cancelled NYP-JAX; 92(27) cancelled JAX-NYP

Vermonter:

Due to ongoing trackwork trains 54/57 are cancelled between SAB and SPG,

with alternate transportation provided. Also note 57(27) cancelled NYP-WAS.

Empire Service:

63(27) cancelled ALB-NFL; 64(27) cancelled NFL-NYP

69(27) cancelled ALB-MTR

233(27)-283(27)-291(27)-253(27)-241(27)-243(27)-261(27)-238(27)-286(27)-262(27)-

-244(27)-296(27) cancelled entirely

280(27) cancelled ALB-NYP

49/449(27) cancelled NYP/BOS-TOL

Piedmont Service:

73(27)-74(27)-75(27)-76(27) cancelled

ADDED STOPS: 669(27) - Add stops EWR, MET

Remember, after the trains that are not cancelled have operated today NEC is going to be shut down and catenary powered down.

MTA suspends fares on transit from evac areas:

* In order to facilitate the mandatory evacuations in New York City and Long Island, the MTA will suspend collection of certain fares and tolls.

o Tolls are suspended at the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge.

o Toll collection will be suspended on the Verrazano-Narrows, Throgs Neck, and Bronx-Whitestone Bridges.

o Fares will be suspended on buses throughout the city.

o Fares will be suspended for subway and rail passengers at stations in mandatory evacuation areas.

* Those who wish to evacuate using MTA services should seek out existing services and routes. In addition, the Long Island Rail Road is operating special shuttle trains between Far Rockaway and Valley Stream to assist in evacuation efforts. Additional crews will be available to augment bus service morning.

Regarding Jis' comment about falling trees snapping power lines, that is certainly

true in my town. Where I live, all of the utilities are under ground, but the feed

into my area come by ariel cables. I have some large trees near my house and in

the woods behind my house. They are old and four could hit my house if the fall.

I hope Irene downgrades in intensity and increases in speed to minimize her impact.

Downeaster plan for the weekend:

DOWNEASTER SERVICE CANCELLED SUNDAY, August 28, 2011

Due to the potential impacts of tropical storm Irene, Amtrak Downeaster service between Portland and Boston is cancelled on Sunday, August 28, 2011 in the interest of public safety. This includes Trains 690, 691, 692, 693, 694, 695, 696, 697, 698 and 699.

All trains are expected to operate on Saturday, August 27, 2011.

The status of Downeaster service for Monday, August 29, is undetermined at this time. It is anticipated that a limited bus schedule will operate in lieu of trains until the railroad has been cleared for operation.

The Maryland Transportation Administration has decided to suspend light rail service beginning at 6:00PM today and Baltimore Metro and bus service at 9:00PM.

LSL was cancelled today and tomorrow. Amtrak informed me they are running from CHI to TOL and no further during this time. Monday train from CHI to NYP is sold out.
Did Amtrak say why Toledo rather than Cleveland, Erie, or Buffalo?! :wacko: How big is this storm anyhow? :rolleyes:

Chicago-Toledo seems hardly worth running as a train.
The storm covers about 300 miles, so it stretches about 150 miles inland.

As for why Toledo, it's off the mainline and Amtrak can turn & clean the train there. Cleveland is right on the mainline so they cannot park a train there for several hours and the same applies in Buffalo. I'm not sure about Erie, I think that is actually off the mainline, but arranging cleaning could be a problem and I'm not sure about the ability to turn the train around to go back to Chicago.

Besides, I'd think that after parking the train that long in Erie, people boarding it for the run back to Chicago might have this really eerie feeling for the entire ride. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back