Major Colleges Not Served by Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VentureForth

Engineer
I got to thinking that there have got to be some major colleges (20,000+ onsite undergrads) that aren't served by Amtrak (within 50 miles). IIRC, Virginia Tech is one. What are some others?

I see that you got Virginia Tech - the Hilltopper used to serve Christiansburg (some of the documentation that I got from VT when I was applying actually still mentioned it).

Just off the top of the head: 10 more: U of: Texas A&M/Texas Tech/Arizona State/LSU/Auburn/Arkansas/Oklahoma State/Wyoming/Colorado/Tennessee :eek:

University of Georgia; University of Florida; Auburn, Univeristy of Tennessee; University of Kentucky; University of Mississippi,Florida State - just a few of the top of my head.

The University of Florida in Gainesville is currently served by a thruway bus. However, when I was in college in the 70's, it was served by the Waldo station a few miles away.

Florida State in Tallahassee is not served by Amtrak now that the Sunset Limited terminates in New Orleans.

I do not believe the University of Georgia is served by Amtrak either, but I am not sure.

Edit - did not see the prior post before I posted - sorry for duplication.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does a Wisconsin guy have the handle Monon81? He's an old Indiana University alum who's still mourning the 1979 cut of the Floridian and the later abandonment of the old Monon in southern Indiana.

The Hoosier State was cold comfort. When it was started, one could ride the 'hound to Indianapolis to connect to the northbound, but the southbound arrived in Indy too late for any connection to Bloomington. Since then, Greyhound has left Bloomington. Miller Trailways has a single bus that leaves Indy in the morning and returns to Indy in the evening--OK for the Cardinal to/from points east, but impossible for connecting to anywhere else. Beyond that, there's an Indy airport shuttle and a Friday/Sunday student service to Chicago, South Bend and Fort Wayne. It seems that these days, Indiana University is quite isolated unless you have a car.

Texas A&M University at College Station has ~49000 student and (perhaps ironically) doesn't have an Amtrak station within 50 miles. I think that's the biggest campus without Amtrak within 50 miles. Maybe University of Hawaii at Honolulu is the campus with (barely) more than 20000 students that is furthest from an Amtrak station. :D

Then there's Troy University, Auburn University, Colorado State, Indiana University - Bloomington, University of Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, University of Kentucky, University of Louisville, Central Michigan University, Grand Valley State, College of Southern Nevada, University of Nevada - Las Vegas, Ohio State, Columbus State Community College, Oklahoma State, University of Tennessee, Texas Tech, Virginia Tech, Washington State, West Virginia University.

I'm pretty sure that's all of them.

As someone already mentioned while I was fumbling out my post :lol: Washington State University at Pullman, WA is not served by Amtrak, though they do have a Thruway bus that services it. WSU is rated as the place other Pac-10 schools hate the most because it's so hard get to. WSU has the distinction Of all major universities (or at least universities that are in a major conference) WSU has the distinction of being the most isolated from even an Interstate Highway (75+ miles). The nearby University of Idaho at Moscow, ID, while not considered a major university doesn't have rail service of ANY kind--not even freight service any more.

Texas A&M University at College Station has ~49000 student and (perhaps ironically) doesn't have an Amtrak station within 50 miles. I think that's the biggest campus without Amtrak within 50 miles.
There was a time in the past when Amtrak did serve College Station TX though.

Among others, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Stony Brook, though served by LIRR connection from NY Penn Station, and rather convenient one at that.

Any of the universities and colleges in and around Potsdam, NY, would quality too.

The Houston section of the Tx.Eagle (521/522) was popular with Texas a&m students when it was a daily train but not as a 3/week train.Then in 1995 the train was dropped.

Hopefully the fact no Amtrak service goes to the University of Wisconsin (MADISON) will change in 2012 or 2013!!!! :) Vote for Tom Barrett and if he wins, it will!

Penn State is about 90 miles and a 2 hour long dog ride from Harrisburg, PA. Not very convenient, but doable if necessary.

Stanford, In Palo Alto CA. OK, it is only a few miles from San Jose, so it is close. Remember that close only counts in horseshoes adn hand grenades.

Palo Alto was tentatively going to be a stop on the California High Speed, but at this point, it won't be, and if the noisey people there have their way, the HSR even go through the area at all.

Stanford, In Palo Alto CA. OK, it is only a few miles from San Jose, so it is close. Remember that close only counts in horseshoes adn hand grenades.
Yes, but IMHO "close" should count where one can easily take a train -- commuter, subway, or light rail -- from Amtrak to the college. Otherwise, you have the somewhat absurd result that Northwestern doesn't count because it's in Evanston rather than Chicago and Harvard and MIT don't count because they're in Cambridge rather than Boston. Palo Alto (and thus Stanford) and San Jose are linked by Caltrain.

James Madison University in Harrisonburg, VA. Enrollment 17,300. Get to fight the trucks going up and down the hills on I-81.

JMU has railroad tracks that bisect the campus. Back in my day a pair of Alco T-6's would belch black smoke through campus everyday with the smoke wafting through the dorm windows. It smelled better than the skunks that were road killed on 81 though.

Vanderbilt since its in Nashville.
I would have discovered the joys of train travel much sooner had Amtrak served Nashville! Instead, my journeys home from Vandy ('97-'01) were all via Southwest Airlines, or a nine hour solo drive.

Ohio alone has plenty...

University of Akron

Kent State University

Ohio State University

Ohio University

Bowling Green State

Wright State

More if you don't consider the Card "service".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back