Major station usage

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amtkstn

OBS Chief
I have seen LAX has partly shut down with just passengers from both Amtrak and Metorlink getting to use the station. What is the status of other large city stations on the system?

Metropolitan Lounge in Chicago is open but unattended inside according to a post made by Chicago Union Station's Facebook representative. Soft Drink and Coffee machines are not available, however, the front desk attendant will acquire soft drinks upon request.
What about the Food Court Upstairs since its Counter Service to go???

They didn't address that. I can't imagine that any social distancing can be executed even at to go places because of the simple volume of business. Being that I won't be going to Union Station in Chicago in the foreseeable future, I can't answer that question first hand.

They didn't address that. I can't imagine that any social distancing can be executed even at to go places because of the simple volume of business. Being that I won't be going to Union Station in Chicago in the foreseeable future, I can't answer that question first hand.
Thanks Tim, stay safe up there in Pure Michigan, they say Detroit will be one of the next " Hotspots"!

Thanks Tim, stay safe up there in Pure Michigan, they say Detroit will be one of the next " Hotspots"!

Thanks Jim.....I'm on the other side of the state from Detroit, but that by no means says I'm safe. I've been self isolating for the last few weeks, only going out to the pharmacy, grocery store, gas station and the occasional drive thru or takeout. You and your loved ones stay safe too, as even though you're not in a hotspot yet, you will be soon and you're in a high target age range. That goes too, for anyone else reading this. Please, please, if you haven't been practicing social distancing, start now....if you have, continue. We're all in this together, and together we'll beat this!

Jim, this was just posted on CUS’s Facebook page. It doesn’t really answer your question but it’s the latest update.

“NOTICE: The Food Court located on the Mezzanine Level, is currently experiencing reduced services due to the State of Illinois Shelter In Place order. We will continue to update you as we receive information.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation.

Stay safe and be well!”

Jim, this was just posted on CUS’s Facebook page. It doesn’t really answer your question but it’s the latest update.

“NOTICE: The Food Court located on the Mezzanine Level, is currently experiencing reduced services due to the State of Illinois Shelter In Place order. We will continue to update you as we receive information.

If you have any questions, please let us know.

Thank you so much for your patience and cooperation.

Stay safe and be well!”
Thanks Tim, sounds like "To Go Only" with Social Distancing in Line, just like most food places all over except for the Moronic places that are still practicing to kill us all!

Thanks Tim, sounds like "To Go Only" with Social Distancing in Line, just like most food places all over except for the Moronic places that are still practicing to kill us all!

With a Stay in Place order in effect, I'm sure there are very few of those moronic places in Illinois. In one of those orders, the authorities can shut down any business which defies it and levy heavy fines and possible jail time.

With a Stay in Place order in effect, I'm sure there are very few of those moronic places in Illinois. In one of those orders, the authorities can shut down any business which defies it and levy heavy fines and possible jail time.
I'm talking mostly about some Southern States,especially the Red Ones, that are still not getting the Message!

I'm talking mostly about some Southern States,especially the Red Ones, that are still not getting the Message!

I figured as much. I was trying to keep on topic of CUS. The Shelter in Place will all be for naught if all states aren't all in. I have alot more to say about the subject, but it wanders across the line of talking politics, which is a no no on this forum, understandably so.

Greensboro shares the Galyon Depot between Amtrak, City Transit, Intercity Bus and the local model train club. I think the article was more about the transit area but it likely closed the entire Depot on 31 March 2020. I also realize Greensboro is not considered a major station but let me dream a bit. :)

https://www.greensboro.com/news/loc...cle_96618eb0-a290-545e-896b-fa40602842a8.html
https://www.yesweekly.com/coronavir...cle_93100868-7387-11ea-8193-5b990be3e57b.html
https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/14619/
https://www.wxii12.com/article/greensboro-bus-depot-closed-cleaning-coronavirus-symptoms/31992593#

Greensboro shares the Galyon Depot between Amtrak, City Transit, Intercity Bus and the local model train club. I think the article was more about the transit area but it likely closed the entire Depot on 31 March 2020. I also realize Greensboro is not considered a major station but let me dream a bit. :)

https://www.greensboro.com/news/loc...cle_96618eb0-a290-545e-896b-fa40602842a8.html
https://www.yesweekly.com/coronavir...cle_93100868-7387-11ea-8193-5b990be3e57b.html
https://www.greensboro-nc.gov/Home/Components/News/News/14619/
https://www.wxii12.com/article/greensboro-bus-depot-closed-cleaning-coronavirus-symptoms/31992593#
It sounds like this was a local bus passenger, which has an entirely separate part of the station that would not impact Amtrak. The platforms at Greensboro are reached by a tunnel from the station building, so if that was closed the platforms would not be assessable.

It sounds like this was a local bus passenger, which has an entirely separate part of the station that would not impact Amtrak. The platforms at Greensboro are reached by a tunnel from the station building, so if that was closed the platforms would not be assessable.
I took that to be the case as well with this being a city transit situation. And you are correct in that Amtrak platforms are reached via tunnel. There are steps and an elevator that takes one from near the baggage claim area of the Amtrak part to rather near the main sitting area of the transit waiting room. There is some separation from the three main areas of the depot but ultimately one can travel easily and without hindrance from one area to another.

Hopefully cleaning was done in all three areas. With less Piedmont trains running there would have been time to do the cleaning and make use of the train station/platform area as needed.

The latest update from the Facebook page of CUS:

"Due to reduced customer volumes during the pandemic, we have temporarily closed some entrances and spaces within Chicago Union Station, including the Great Hall. Entrances to the Great Hall from Canal, Adams and Jackson have been closed to the public, but a set of doors to the Jackson Balcony will remain open for office tower access on weekdays until 6 p.m. CT.

Employees needing weekend or evening access should enter with the public from the service drive (“cab court”) entrances by following the sidewalk down the drive and entering at the power doors next to the Baggage Claim (Jackson side) or Amtrak Police (Adams side).

Access by Amtrak and Metra passengers or others with disabilities is unaffected, with elevators available from both sides of the 200 block of South Canal Street and at 444 West Jackson Boulevard. Ramp access continues to be from the entrance at the corner of Jackson and Clinton Streets and then down the service drive to the power doors.
Metropolitan Lounge access for Sleeping Car and Business Class customers is maintained though the Central Corridor “Breezeway.” Seating for general boarding that had been in the Great Hall has been moved into that area.
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Thank you so much and stay safe."

Back