Making Advance Reservations for next summer

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We always make our long-distance travel reservations 6-7 months in advance. Does Amtrak already know what next summer’s timetables will be and, if we make our reservations in January, can we request departure days based on those timetables, even though they are not currently in effect? (We assume, for example, that by next summer the Southwest Chief will be back to daily departures instead of only three times a week.) Your thoughts, comments and suggestions, please.

Eric and Pat

(We assume, for example, that by next summer the Southwest Chief will be back to daily departures instead of only three times a week.) Your thoughts, comments and suggestions, please.

I don't think I would make an assumption like that. I would schedule based on today's departures, and be prepared to adapt to what ever future changes happen to be made.

We always make our long-distance travel reservations 6-7 months in advance. Does Amtrak already know what next summer’s timetables will be and, if we make our reservations in January, can we request departure days based on those timetables, even though they are not currently in effect? (We assume, for example, that by next summer the Southwest Chief will be back to daily departures instead of only three times a week.) Your thoughts, comments and suggestions, please.

Eric and Pat
I would be interested in hearing what Amtrak would say if you called them.

Maybe you should just go with what they put on the web site but I can understand your concern.

I doubt it will help much to call Amtrak now. Too many unknowns--both about Amtrak funding and the state of the pandemic. If I were making reservations, I'd be planning on the reduced schedule, and modifying if it changed.

Considering the uncertainty of 2021, I would tell you that the odds of having what you reserve actually happen seems slim. I would also beware of fares, check to see if Amtrak has everything set at the highest bucket for far out reservations. Before committing do your research, ask lots of questions to many different Amtrak people to see how many varied responses you get. If everyone answers the same, then that is a fact you can depend on currently, but if everyone answers differently, then a red flag should pop up with flashing lights. If people do not know, they tend to make up something so you are happy.

Back