Making connections to SWC in Missouri

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

21135Traveler

My sister and I want to take the SWC to Las Vegas, NM. We'll be starting from Columbia, Missouri and would rather not park the car at the Kansas City Amtrak station so we're looking for connections to KC. I know the Megabus stops in Columbia on its way to KC so that's an option, but it drops off at a downtown location that's far from the Amtrak Station. Should we take Megabus to KC, then a taxi to the Amtrak station? We senior citizens can't haul our luggage around a lot. Once on the SWC, we plan to get off in Las Vegas and stay a day, then catch the train back. Anything we should know?

I admit that I'm not all that familiar with the location of Columbia, MO, but is it anywhere near any stop on the Missouri River Runner (MORR) or the SWC? There is a guaranteed connection from the MORR to the SWC in KC.

EDIT: Just going by memory, I think it may be in the southeast part. In that case, is it near Poplar Bluff or Walnut Ridge? If so, you could take the Texas Eagle north to St Louis, then the MORR to KC.

You Should get on in La Plata (LAP). It is an hour north of Columbia on highway 63, has free parking and is a great little station. This is the only other stop for the SWC in Missouri, so there are no transfers. We have left our car there for weeks without a problem.

Your other option would be Jefferson City, but long term parking is an issue there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dart330, LaPlata is perfect. Yes, that solves so many problems! I hadn't thought of that possibility. We will do that.

Is there anything else about the SWC run to Las Vegas that would be good to know?

When you get to La Plata, they may have some sort of long term parking form to leave on your dashboard. The station is opened by a volunteer, so you could ask them if you see them, if not I wouldn't worry about it. They have a large selection of books lining the walls that are free for the taking. We usually grab one or two if we are doing a round trip and return them when we get back.

Heading West out of LAP you will get on just in time for last call to dinner. Coming back East you will have plenty of time for breakfast, they will probably start serving once you get to KC. If you have booked a room, those will be included.

I have never stopped off in Las Vegas, NM so I will have to leave that side of the trip for someone else to chime in.

To be sure--the Chief stops in Las Vegas, New Mexico, hours (and hours and hours) from the city in Nevada. To get to Nevada, there's a bus/van from Kingman, AZ. I know nothing of Las Vegas, NM, but I've also never met anyone looking to go there. My apologies if this distinction is already understood!

Thank you, Heading North, for watching out for us just in case! We know we're going to a small town in the middle of nowhere. We wanted to do an "out there and back" trip, and a noontime stop in an Old West Town seemed as good as anywhere to stay a day and then hop on the train again. But we know nothing of the area, or Colorado either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back