Maple Leaf Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amtrak57

Train Attendant
I am planning on booking an Amtrak trip from NYC to Syracuse in late August, however the earliest train I can book is 281, which leaves at 10:20 AM. The Maple Leaf leaves at 7:15 AM however it is no where to be found. Was the Maple Leaf suspended?

As far as I know, it still exists, but is not crossing the border and terminates in Niagara Falls. Sounds like a phone call is in order.
I checked the tracker records and it seems like 64 is running but 63 is not.

New York is becoming a yellow state right now with threats of green. With the southern states turning red it is unknown when and if upstate trains will return to there sad 4 trains daily.

New York is becoming a yellow state right now with threats of green. With the southern states turning red it is unknown when and if upstate trains will return to there sad 4 trains daily.
Forgive my ignorance, but can you explain some of your terminology? I thought I had red and blue states figured out, but yellow and green are entirely new colors. Just curious...

I am planning on booking an Amtrak trip from NYC to Syracuse in late August, however the earliest train I can book is 281, which leaves at 10:20 AM. The Maple Leaf leaves at 7:15 AM however it is no where to be found. Was the Maple Leaf suspended?

I took the Maple Leaf last Sunday so it's definitely running, but they've downgraded the equipment. Forgive my not knowing the names of the different cars as I'm still learning but I remember the Maple Leaf used to have the cars with curtains and footrests.

Surprisingly cafe service was open but I don't think you could sit in the cafe car. Everyone had the double seat to themselves but someone could sit in the row ahead or behind you so I'm not sure how that enforces the six foot social distance requirements.

No. 63, the westbound Maple Leaf, has not been running at all since late March. No. 64, the eastbound, still runs from Niagara Falls to New York. No. 281, the 10:20 a.m. from Penn Station, is the first daily westbound departure to anywhere west/north of Poughkeepsie.

So, the choices for now from New York to Syracuse:

Westbound, daily: Nos. 281, 283, 49
Eastbound, daily: Nos. 284, 48, 64

FWIW, GO Train service between Toronto and Niagara Falls, ON, resumes this weekend. Except for the small matter of a border closure, the route of the Maple Leaf will effectively be restored.

https://www.blogto.com/travel/2020/07/go-train-toronto-niagara-falls-weekend/
Leaving Toronto Union Station heading to Niagara Falls
  • 8:51am, 12:51pm, 4:51pm and 8:51pm
Leaving Niagara Falls heading to Toronto Union Station
  • 11:16am, 3:16pm, 7:16pm and 11:16pm

Back