Maple Leaf Seating Assignments

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All,

I have a round trip booked on trains 63 and 64 for the 21st and 25th of June for myself and my girlfriend. I'm a long time Amtrak enthusiast and modeler, and I've ridden the Lake Shore Limited many times, but this will be my first border crossing on Amtrak. We will be traveling from Rochester to Toronto in Coach, I know the Maple Leaf operates using primarilyAmfleet II coaches, but where can we expect to be assigned to sit? Also, what are the chances of us finding seats together? The last thing I want is to have to sit in an aisle seat and not with my girlfriend! I've heard that the crews regularly relocated everyone to the last 2 cars (The Club-Dinette and the Amfleet I Coach Respectively), but I am not positive on whether or not that is the present method. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Corey

:hi: Nice trip! I suggest that you upgrade to Business Class for this trip, youll be in the Cafe Car and have Comfortable 2X1 Reserved Seating. When you reach the Border, Canadian Customs and Immigration will have you get off the Train to Welcome you to Canada,(it takes awhile, but they are usually very Friendly and Professional) and the Crews will change out from Amtrak to VIA, same Equipment, including switching out Everything in the Cafe Car from American products to Canadian stuff! :cool:

Technically VIA doesnt have Business Class on this Train,their Business Class is like First Class on Acela,but it is the same Comfortable Reserved Seats and you can purchase Snacks and Drinks while riding through the Canadian Countryside heading for Toronto! While you are in the States and it is an Amtrak Train you will be entitled to a Free Drink (Non-Alcoholic) and if still available a Newspaper!

I have not done that trip northbound across the boarder but did it southbound recently and there was a total of one car (plus business class) with people crossing the border. The train south of Rochester through was extremely crowded and that station has enough turnover of passengers that if your quick about getting on the train you should definitely be able to nab two seats together. If worse comes to worse lots of people get on and off at the Buffalo Stations (there two) so if you can't find two seats together in Rochester just look for BFD (or BFX) seat checks, try and sit near them (or have one of you sit with them) and snag those seats an hour later when those passengers get off.

This is not an itinerary I would worry about in terms of getting seats together.

Thank you for the replies! I'm glad to hear that the train will be significantly less crowded than I anticipated. I would love to get business class seating, but I've got a tight budget to adhere to. Can you pick from any 4 of the coaches? When do they close off the first 3?

Thanks

Corey

Thank you for the replies! I'm glad to hear that the train will be significantly less crowded than I anticipated. I would love to get business class seating, but I've got a tight budget to adhere to. Can you pick from any 4 of the coaches? When do they close off the first 3?

Thanks

Corey
BC costs only a bit more but is very much worth it, IMO. Very good value. Better value than Coach.

I almost exclusively travel BC or sleeper, for this run I don't think its worth the extra 50 dollars each way. It's only for a few hours, and I'll be too busy drooling.

Corey

Maple Leaf is running with 5 cars. Three Amfleet 2s, One Amfleet 1, one lounge car.

The Amfleet two have the long distance seats, but no wifi.

The Amfleet one have the short distance seats with wifi.

So if your travel short or long is where there place you.

Since your travel is middle of the week, you should not have a major issues find two seats together. You might need Subwaynuts advised, but maybe not.

Safe Travels

What happens when a passenger assigned to a Amfleet II or Amfleet I drifts over to the other car for larger seats or Wi-Fi?
Nothing happens until you get to the border. At the border you better be in one of the designated cars or get hauled off by the border agents for "extra processing". :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back