Maricopa to Dallas after spine surgery

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can’t fly, due to lung complications after spine surgery in Phoenix. Considering Amtrak to get home to Dallas. I am wondering about the smoothness of the ride. I have booked the bedroom for privacy and bathroom/shower access. But I am concerned about potential jostling and bumpiness during the 30 hour trip. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.

I can’t fly, due to lung complications after spine surgery in Phoenix. Considering Amtrak to get home to Dallas. I am wondering about the smoothness of the ride. I have booked the bedroom for privacy and bathroom/shower access. But I am concerned about potential jostling and bumpiness during the 30 hour trip. Any experience or advice would be appreciated.
There are going to be some not-so-smooth stretches of track - its inevitable. Although I've been over that route several times, I can't think of any problem (to me) areas.
If that is greater than your current threshold for being jostled around, I can't speak to that. I guess, being seated or laying down would make it more tolerable than if you were standing/walking.
At least you can have your sleeping car attendant bring meals to you in your room.
Hope all goes well.

Last edited:
I have traveled from Washington D.C. to Chicago after having had open lung surgery, which involved ribs being broken. The ride was smooth enough, but it was difficult trying to lay down to sleep. The train attendant was very good and brought meals to my room and supplied extra pillows because I had to semi-sit in order to sleep due to the pain. The track was typical of most Amtrak routes I have been on. On the plus side, you get to see the country and you can get up and walk down the aisle a little if you want. I had a choice to fly or to use Amtrak and I would chose Amtrak again.

I have traveled from Washington D.C. to Chicago after having had open lung surgery, which involved ribs being broken. The ride was smooth enough, but it was difficult trying to lay down to sleep. The train attendant was very good and brought meals to my room and supplied extra pillows because I had to semi-sit in order to sleep due to the pain. The track was typical of most Amtrak routes I have been on. On the plus side, you get to see the country and you can get up and walk down the aisle a little if you want. I had a choice to fly or to use Amtrak and I would chose Amtrak again.
Thank you for this advice. Do you know if they can make the berth available during waking hours? I have to spend most of my time lying down. Thank you, again!

Thank you for this advice. Do you know if they can make the berth available during waking hours? I have to spend most of my time lying down. Thank you, again!
I agree, broken ribs and trying to laying flat don’t work. l think pillows are your best friend.
Bring a couple, trains are in constant motion. I’m not sure walking is a good idea,

Maybe you should discuss it with your doctor. I don't know whether one of those foam wedges that elevates your head and shoulder while lying in bed might be helpful.
It's been years since I had one, but it didn't help me at all. I tried one when I got home. One of those would be hard to carry onto the train because of the size, unless they have changed since I had one.

Unfortunately the bumpiness depends on the tracks, and I don't know the status of those particular tracks, not having ridden them.

Hmm. First of all, no problem keeping the berth down all day. Just keep reminding the attendant, as they go through the car on autopilot making up rooms when they see the chance. If you tell them when you board, and they forget, they should have no problem undoing it, it only takes a few minutes.

On the other hand, all Amtrak trains can get moderately bumpy at times, even often. People say the center is better but I wouldn't panic about that, I've found that all bedrooms can get rocky. It is actually rare that the ride is completely smooth, usually it is the equivalent of light turbulence on a plane, with the occasional jolt. Let's say that in the dining car, I wouldn't want my coffee cup filled to the brim, but I don't think I've ever seen one actually fall over.

I can't estimate how much the slight bumpiness will affect your pain, you might want to get some better advice from your doctor. Will you have some pain meds?

Back