Marketing/Promoting Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So the overall conclusion is: Amtrak needs something quality to market. Fix the service (OTP, food quality, etc.) and then there is something to market.
Exactly. When Amtrak is no longer the butt of late night tv comedian jokes, and people can depend upon it...

For what did you use the shower bonnet? :)
I watched an old MacGuyver TV show and using the shower cap, one or two other items in the kit and the chemicals (properly mixed after first separating them) from the shampoo and conditioner and created a rifle. I then was able to shoot an elk and had a wonderfully different meal onboard the train.

Those amenity kits came in reusable containers... and I found all the contents useful. Still have the container and use it when traveling. And... rarely have I ever ever seen any such unused amenities discarded. They are extremely handy and useful when traveling... especially the sewing kit for buttons etc. I gave one away as a gift to a friend and it was really appreciated. This added a little 'class' to the trip and I am hoping they will bring them back!☺😊😇

The greater issue was when Amtrak went to using plastic ware for all its food services... and as confirmed by Amtrak management... none of it is recycled and all just goes to landfill. BTW before they took off the CS parlor car they were serving meals on real china.

Pics of an amenity kit saved... which is a momento of the trip and has value!

View attachment 20881

View attachment 20883

View attachment 20882
The thought of mending/sewing/anything with a needle on a train makes my fingers hurt with imagined pricks that would be real if I tried it on a train. Threading a needle on a train? I can hardly do it in a stable environment. I have to take my glasses off to see and have to get the needle really close to my eyes and thus am always afraid that I'll somehow stab my eye.

The thought of mending/sewing/anything with a needle on a train makes my fingers hurt with imagined pricks that would be real if I tried it on a train. Threading a needle on a train? I can hardly do it in a stable environment. I have to take my glasses off to see and have to get the needle really close to my eyes and thus am always afraid that I'll somehow stab my eye.
I totally agree with you... and just can't sew a button on anywhere. But rather be resourceful than discouraged... when that crucial button needed to be reattached... I flagged down the hospitality manager... gave her a nice tip and she was glad to sew it back on with the materials from that amenity kit. :)

One concern I have about abandoning table service is the roughness of the ride. How dining car staff managed to avoid disasters was always amazing, but they well learned the tricks. The traveling public needs both hands free even walking down a coach aisle when a rough switch or crossing or whatever is hit, if not other times as well.

You have expressed my concern if table service is abandoned. Sometimes, I need both hands to keep me upright and have experienced being bounced off the walls of the sleepers as I walk down the aisle.

All the amenity kits were before my time...

I only went on two Amtrak rides I believe that even had the real china.

As for the Parlour Car, I was able to experience it once back in 2017 on train 14. Sadly, train 11 had a second sightseer lounge instead -_-

Back in 2013 I redeemed 20,000 points for PHX (I was amazed they would include the shuttle)-FLG-LAX-PDX-CBS. I actually went PHX to MSP wanted to stop and see friends, my friend went LAX-CBS and transferred to coach there.

Over 4 nights and 3 days we had two welcome aboard splits of California Champaign, three wine and cheese tastings and quite good meals. We also won a bottle of wine in the Empire Builders trivia contest (it was name the states the train passes through) that we drank at dinner that night, I'll never forget walking through all 4 coaches to and from the diner the entire train wondering why I was holding a bottle of wine.

Also got amenity kits on both "premium" trains it was a drawstring bag with an eco single use bottle of shampoo. I didn't get an amenity kit on my first night on the chief.

1) What should Amtrak do to help market/promote Amtrak to the general public starting today in preparation for return of service?

2) What can we do to help promote Amtrak to the general public starting today in preparation for return of service (and beyond)?

To start with I would suggest Amtrak make it's website more user friendly and easier to navigate. A system map on the home page (instead of having to dig to find it) would be a small start.

1. The hotel industry is hurting. I do see that Amtrak has a vacations packages section and it looks like most of those packages involve 5 or more days. What about signing a deal with a hotel chain and have weekend packages? I would highlight some of their state sponsored lines (Cascades, Midwest Services, Surfliner, etc). Let's say $350 for two nights and two coach tickets. Maybe a small town vacation package.

2. Create a hashtag on social media and have people use that hashtag when they travel on Amtrak. There are a lot of good things about this country. You can't see it when you are 30,000 ft up but you can see them when you are 3 feet up. Maybe #EnjoytheJourney

2. Create a hashtag on social media and have people use that hashtag when they travel on Amtrak. There are a lot of good things about this country. You can't see it when you are 30,000 ft up but you can see them when you are 3 feet up. Maybe #EnjoytheJourney
In my experience, the Amtrak Media team is great! They frequently repost on their Instagram of people travelling, and all types of little advertisements. They are also very active within the community and comment in many of the photos that have an Amtrak train in them.

1. The hotel industry is hurting. I do see that Amtrak has a vacations packages section and it looks like most of those packages involve 5 or more days. What about signing a deal with a hotel chain and have weekend packages? I would highlight some of their state sponsored lines (Cascades, Midwest Services, Surfliner, etc). Let's say $350 for two nights and two coach tickets. Maybe a small town vacation package.
Amtrak does NOT run Amtrak Vacations. It is a private company that uses Amtrak as part of (or all of) its transportation in a package. Don't know how much of a cut they give or discount they get for those bookings.

I did receive an amenity kit several years ago when I rode the EB; don't recall the exact contents, but the quality of the shampoo and soap was good.

The kits offered on international Business Class flights are, for me, mostly a waste. The container itself can be re-used, but most of the items in the kit are items that I don't use on a flight, but, I choose the items that I think I will use in the future and disembark the plane with them.

Rather than spending money on amenity kits for Sleeper guests, I would much prefer that the meals offered be significantly be improved and more money directed into training of the crew.

Rather than spending money on amenity kits for Sleeper guests, I would much prefer that the meals offered be significantly be improved and more money directed into training of the crew.
Well, why not both? Heck, we can even add better bedding!

Amtrak does NOT run Amtrak Vacations. It is a private company that uses Amtrak as part of (or all of) its transportation in a package. Don't know how much of a cut they give or discount they get for those bookings.

Well if that's the case they should break the contract and offer that in house. Even if Amtrak doesn't partner will the major chains they could always reach out to individual hotels in select cities. Just imagine if Amtrak had "Wanna Get Away" fares? I guess pay $100/yr to join and select your region of the country. It could be a flash sale that would pop up on a random Wednesday or Thursday for the next weekend. (Amtrak would know ahead of time what region for train/hotel package it would offer customer). When your selected region comes up there would be an offer for a weekend getaway. You would have to be quick as there would only be 20-30 packages.

Amtrak does NOT run Amtrak Vacations. It is a private company that uses Amtrak as part of (or all of) its transportation in a package

I did not know this. I thought that Amtrak was the travel provider of the vacation packages. Some of the packages that have been offered in the past have been quite interesting.

I wonder: when one makes a hotel reservation via Amtrak's web site or via a phone call to their toll free number, does Amtrak actually do this or is it a private company?

Well, why not both? Heck, we can even add better bedding!

Maybe not enough money available to do all that we would like? Personally, I would prefer money being spent on returning to the dining service of "yesteryear" followed by more training--particularly in the guest experience/service area--for the crew.

Personally, I would prefer money being spent on returning to the dining service of "yesteryear" followed by more training--particularly in the guest experience/service area--for the crew.

Dare I use the term, "Hospitality training?"

I was sitting in a Talgo bistro car drinking a cup of coffee one time while waiting for a freight to pass. A Russian woman came in and asked an attendant if the train was going to be in Vancouver on time as she had a flight connection to make.

The attendant read her the riot act quite loudly stating, "Can't you see I'm sitting down eating my lunch!?":mad:

Last edited:
I did receive an amenity kit several years ago when I rode the EB; don't recall the exact contents, but the quality of the shampoo and soap was good.

The kits offered on international Business Class flights are, for me, mostly a waste. The container itself can be re-used, but most of the items in the kit are items that I don't use on a flight, but, I choose the items that I think I will use in the future and disembark the plane with them.

The level service provided must meet the level of pricing required otherwise the demand for such product will recede.

Maybe not enough money available to do all that we would like? Personally, I would prefer money being spent on returning to the dining service of "yesteryear" followed by more training--particularly in the guest experience/service area--for the crew.
Let me live in my fantasy in peace !

The airlines may get you there faster, but more and more they treat you like cattle. Amtrak really needs to do the opposite. This really starts with customer service. Every customer should be personally thanked for riding Amtrak. Sleeper passengers should be greeted by name.

And I know it's beating a dead horse, but those meals HAVE to improve.

The airlines may get you there faster, but more and more they treat you like cattle. Amtrak really needs to do the opposite. This really starts with customer service. Every customer should be personally thanked for riding Amtrak. Sleeper passengers should be greeted by name.

And having all sleepers to at least match those of the Viewliner II (not talking about the sink, window, etc, but the tray table, temperature control, etc) would be great. It would make them more appealing and more comfortable.

And having all sleepers to at least match those of the Viewliner II (not talking about the sink, window, etc, but the tray table, temperature control, etc) would be great. It would make them more appealing and more comfortable.

Yes for sure! The basics need updating and qualitative improvement. You can't run a passenger railroad with adhesive tape holding seats together and synthetic food congealed on a carcinogenic melted plastic plate.

One! Two! Three! Let's all yell out... "Gimme a break!"

Back