Mask requirements on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
In general terms new variants should become more transmissible but also less lethal over time. With more and better therapeutics available I believe the mask mandate should be converted into a vax mandate. Or at least that is a reasonable middle ground to me. Let the anti-vaxxers celebrate their martyrdom at home or in the car while the rest of us travel in peace. We did it before and can do it again but I guess it was easier before the dawn of the Disinformation Age.

With more and better therapeutics available I believe the mask mandate should be converted into a vax mandate.
That seems reasonable to me - at least in January when additional therapeutics are expected to come online.

I would take it one step further and say that you need to have a booster if you are eligible.

No way to know, but pretty good. It depends on how Omicron and any further variants sort themselves out and how widespread the virus is.

At this point, I'd plan that the mask mandate will remain. It will come off when it comes off, until that actually happens, expect to mask.
We too are planning an April trip (roomette on the Crescent) and had pretty much decided that masks will still be required. Hopefully, we will be "between waves" by then. IAE, we are looking forward to the trip and will abide by whatever mandates/requirements are in place at that time.

Their motivation really doesn't matter to me.
The motivation matters because the people who would want credit for unvaccinated recovery will likely refuse to be tracked in the first place.

[oversized meme image removed]
Shops and domestic flights are one thing but I cannot imagine what it's like to sleep in masks for hours on Amtrak or intercontinental flights. I'm not even sure how you would keep a mask in place while you're unconscious. I have nose strips with strong adhesive that struggle to remain affixed on long flights.

Shops and on domestic flights are one thing but I cannot imagine what it's like to sleep in masks on Amtrak or intercontinental flights. I'm not even sure how you would keep a mask in place while you're unconscious. I have nose strips with strong adhesive that struggle to remain affixed with long flights.

I usually use KF94 masks these days, and it stays secure enough that I can nap without it falling down over my face. I haven't done an international flight yet, but I did a redeye from Alaska back to Minnesota and I got a couple hours of interrupted sleep (interrupted because I couldn't ever get into super deep sleep in coach, not due to the mask as far as I could tell.) I've booked a couple of overnight bus trips (paid extra for a pair of seats so I can stretch out) and keeping my mask up isn't a big concern of mine - it seems to stay up pretty well so long as I have the nose wire shaped.

MODERATOR NOTE: Please keep the discussion on the topic of the transportation (specifically Amtrak) mask mandate. Please do not discuss vaccines in general. A few posts have been removed.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Shops and domestic flights are one thing but I cannot imagine what it's like to sleep in masks for hours on Amtrak or intercontinental flights. I'm not even sure how you would keep a mask in place while you're unconscious. I have nose strips with strong adhesive that struggle to remain affixed on long flights.
I've had no trouble with a mask for 8 hour coach trips, I even napped a bit with the mask on. I don't know about a full overnight with real sleeping. I use a CPAP, so I guess I would put the CPAP nose mask behind the cloth mask, which means it might actually be more comfortable than being awake and masked because I'd be having a flow of fresh air introduced to my nose behind the mask. The intake of the CPAP has a double filter, too, so I'd be getting filtered air while I sleep, and the cloth mask would block most of the aerosols in the exhalations.

Last edited:
MODERATOR NOTE: Please keep the discussion on the topic of the transportation (specifically Amtrak) mask mandate. Please do not discuss vaccines in general. A few posts have been removed.

Thank you for your cooperation.
Quickly gonna take a detour off topic, but I never thought I’d see the day that I’m happy to see you doing your mod duties. Once Again, glad that you came back.

If masks "won't work" on Amtrak, as some seem to believe, why do surgeons wear them, why do hospital staff in covid wards wear them?
Who are the experts, is it scientists and medical folk, or some bloke wearing a tin foil hat on facebook? ;)
I agree with your position, but not your argument. Surgeons and hospital staff aren't sleeping and eating in the O.R. and COVID ward. (At least I hope not.)

Taking the Zephyr and LSL in January. Have a bedroom and a roomette. Someone said the "you can take your masks off if you are in bedroom or roomette with the door closed" language has been removed from the website. So, are you still allowed to take off the masks in your room?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back