Mask Mandate for Transportation Extended

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

JayPea

Engineer
I don't know how our county is doing because I haven't seen an official count in months, but Spokane County, to the north of us, is doing very well. New cases are about 1/10th of what they were at the height of the pandemic. For my county I have to assume it's next to none since WSU students are still home. And come this fall WSU students are required to be vaccinated. I think we are doing just fine. The last I heard our county was at 56% vaccinated but that was a while ago so I assume it's higher now. Washington as a whole is over 70%.

AmtrakBlue

Engineer
Gathering Team Member
I don't know how our county is doing because I haven't seen an official count in months, but Spokane County, to the north of us, is doing very well. New cases are about 1/10th of what they were at the height of the pandemic. For my county I have to assume it's next to none since WSU students are still home. And come this fall WSU students are required to be vaccinated. I think we are doing just fine. The last I heard our county was at 56% vaccinated but that was a while ago so I assume it's higher now. Washington as a whole is over 70%.
You can check here

flitcraft

OBS Chief
The Seattle Times (behind paywall so no link) ran a story last week about a survey on vaccine hesitancy which pointed out that even county-level stats are misleading, since many counties are large enough to have pockets which vary demographically quite a bit. So, King County, where Seattle is located, has zip codes where the vaccine hesitant (responding that they definitely or probably wouldn't get the vaccine) were only 1-2 percent of the total population, and other zip codes where the vaccine hesitant numbered in the high teens. So, the overall vaccine hesitancy rate of 7% for King County is misleading--we need more granular data than at the county level to understand where efforts are needed to try to address hesitancy issues. I suspect this is true generally--at least, where counties are large enough to have demographic variability.

anumberone

Engineer
AU Supporter
The Seattle Times (behind paywall so no link) ran a story last week about a survey on vaccine hesitancy which pointed out that even county-level stats are misleading, since many counties are large enough to have pockets which vary demographically quite a bit. So, King County, where Seattle is located, has zip codes where the vaccine hesitant (responding that they definitely or probably wouldn't get the vaccine) were only 1-2 percent of the total population, and other zip codes where the vaccine hesitant numbered in the high teens. So, the overall vaccine hesitancy rate of 7% for King County is misleading--we need more granular data than at the county level to understand where efforts are needed to try to address hesitancy issues. I suspect this is true generally--at least, where counties are large enough to have demographic variability.
Travelers coming from near and far changes the local demographics.

Bob Dylan

50+ Year Amtrak Rider
Travelers coming from near and far changes the local demographics.
So true, especially in places that have lots of Visitors and also hundreds of people a week moving there from all over the World,especially those who are Unvaccinated!🤪

This is part of why Austin is going back to the Stage 4 Protocols after seeing our COVID Stats Shooting Up to a level not seen since January!🤒😷

anumberone

Engineer
AU Supporter
So true, especially in places that have lots of Visitors and also hundreds of people a week moving there from all over the World,especially those who are Unvaccinated!🤪

This is part of why Austin is going back to the Stage 4 Protocols after seeing our COVID Stats Shooting Up to a level not seen since January!🤒😷
Austin is definitely a hot spot for travelers. Aren’t they planing a lot of work on the airport to take care of the surge.

neroden

Engineer
The numbers in my county are actually very good, but unfortunately tourism is our second-largest industry and education our largest, *and* due to not constructing enough housing for the last 70 years, we have a lot of people commuting from neighboring counties. So we are very far from being an island. And the counties around us are not doing well and have low vaccination numbers (due to having a lot more right-wing idiots). So I don't see how we avoid reimportation of cases.

west point

Engineer
Yes by Zip code is better. Our county has 3 with one sharing a common city with another state zip. Vaccination rates are quite different in each zip.