Covid Mask Mandate for Transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So in part to motivate that last group, I’d much prefer that we don’t just blindly extend these dates – but instead announce that when 75% of the population has been vaccinated, then all federal mandates and travel restrictions will be dropped. Period. They may have hinted that in the past, but it needs to be made crystal clear.
This is why I like Gov. Whitmer's plan for Michigan. It's based on the vaccination rate, so it should incentivize more people to get vaccinated.

Someone compared it to a blockbuster movie. You had a ton of people clamoring for tickets and showtimes, and then you had a group that said, "Eh... we'll catch it in a couple weeks or so when it isn't so busy. Maybe when it hits Netflix. I can wait."

Now that we have a carrot/stick situation, those "wait and sees" are going to start scheduling appointments rather than waiting several more weeks.

The University of Michigan created a model that shows we should reach 70% by the end of the summer. Note that "should"; it's an encouraging thought, though.

Well, there are those who are hard of hearing or deaf and lipread and even if the HoH don't lipread, it's still hard for us to hear though masks. Having said that...I'm all for continuing wearing masks when out in public.

I have a friend (SarahZ knows who I'm talking about as he's a mutual friend of ours) who is very hard of hearing, wearing high powered hearing aids and is in his 40s and he wears a mask, has never complained of such things and is a huge advocate of mask wearing and social distancing. The only time I've heard him actually complain is when people aren't wearing masks. I also know many elderly people who are hard of hearing and I've never heard that complaint from them.

I have a good friend who is very hard of hearing, in his 40s and he wears a mask, has never complained of such things and is a huge advocate of mask wearing and social distancing. I also know many elderly people who are hard of hearing and I've never heard that complaint from them.
There's a reason they've designed masks with clear panels over the mouth. Obviously the deaf/HoH community has a need.

Just because your friends haven't complained to you personally doesn't mean an entire community of people feels the same way.

There's a reason they've designed masks with clear panels over the mouth. Obviously the deaf/HoH community has a need.

Just because your friends haven't complained to you personally doesn't mean an entire community of people feels the same way.

You're correct there. I was just using him as an example. I was wrong to generalize and apologize.

I still am perplexed, however, regarding the question of (outside the HoH community) why as a society we should just rip off the masks when we're fully vaccinated and not wait for herd immunity to be reached. I wish that the poster who suggested that would explain his logic to me. I don't get it. What is the hardship of wearing a mask for those who don't have extreme health issues?

Last edited:
I have a friend (SarahZ knows who I'm talking about as he's a mutual friend of ours) who is very hard of hearing, wearing high powered hearing aids and is in his 40s and he wears a mask, has never complained of such things and is a huge advocate of mask wearing and social distancing. The only time I've heard him actually complain is when people aren't wearing masks. I also know many elderly people who are hard of hearing and I've never heard that complaint from them.
Have you asked your friend how the deaf & HoH feel about trying to communicate with masks? Have you asked your elderly friends. Before you use them as examples you should ask them how they are doing with communicating with people wearing masks.

I did not say people who have trouble with masks are anti-maskers.

Have you asked your friend how the deaf & HoH feel about trying to communicate with masks? Have you asked your elderly friends. Before you use them as examples you should ask them how they are doing with communicating with people wearing masks.

I did not say people who have trouble with masks are anti-maskers.

Yes, I did ask, not the mutual friend who I’m referring to but the elderly HoH people. However, if you read my response to Sarah’s post, I admitted to generalizing and apologized.

I never accused you of saying that about anti-maskers, so no need to be defensive.

Last edited:
I am considered elderly and HoH (I don't have hearing aids since they are out of my price range ... but, I need them) - I am fine with the mask wearing and manage to hear people OK ... I just tell them to speak up.
Some people rely on lip reading to augment their hearing. Many deaf people rely on lip reading. Speaking louder can distort sound, so that isn’t necessarily a “fix”.

Since you say you hear people ok, it sounds like you have a mild to moderate hearing loss. Many have severe to profound hearing loss and what works for you doesn’t work for them.
Hearing aids & cochlear implants aren’t “cures”. They help but we still struggle with aural communication.

I’m sure deaf & HoH people are pro-mask, but they would prefer the masks have “windows” that allow the lips to be read.

I'm just curious about something. What's so bad about wearing a simple cloth over your mouth and nose? There are so many good things that happen doing this, but what are you losing when you wear one?
I don't get it either. For those that truthfully have a condition where they CANNOT wear it, then okay. But for people who just don't like it, it's so stupid. I'm sure some of it has to do with politics as well, unfortunately.

I don't get it either. For those that truthfully have a condition where they CANNOT wear it, then okay. But for people who just don't like it, it's so stupid. I'm sure some of it has to do with politics as well, unfortunately.

Sadly, you're correct. Masks shouldn't be political, they should be used as a safety precaution, period. Some of our biggest weapons we have against Covid are vaccination, social distancing (including masks) and good hygiene. It's that easy.

My brother has difficulty with wearing a mask - finds it hard to breath ... so, he uses a face shield instead of trying to use his breathing as an excuse not to wear a "face covering".

Reactions: Cal
This is disappointing. While I fully understand the efficacy of mask wearing I hate to do it because I have yet to figure how to wear one without steaming up my glasses, which is one reason I don't put myself into situations where I need to wear one for any length of time. But, there's still roomettes, when available.
I was in the same situation, you need to try Tommie Copper facemasks, they are wonderful.

My brother has difficulty with wearing a mask - finds it hard to breath ... so, he uses a face shield instead of trying to use his breathing as an excuse not to wear a "face covering".

This is admirable indeed. I’ve seen many shields and am wondering how effective they are. If they are, would they help those with hearing difficulties? I’m sure they are safer than wearing no face covering at all.

Another question….I’m not remembering but are these acceptable for wearing on Amtrak? It seems to me the answer is no, but I’m too lazy tonight to do the research,

I am a totally deaf person who lipreads and of course cannot understand the speech of anyone who wears a mask. I am completely vaccinated, too. But I still believe in masking and distancing until herd immunity is achieved. The choice is clear: a little temporary annoyance for the general health of society.

I spent a lot of time on an Amtrak train "chatting" with a deaf American woman. She said she found it a bit more difficult to read my lips as I was from the UK, which I found interesting. This video is about the situation in the UK, don't know if the sign language is specific to the UK?

Covid and deaf in the UK...

I spent a lot of time on an Amtrak train "chatting" with a deaf American woman. She said she found it a bit more difficult to read my lips as I was from the UK, which I found interesting. This video is about the situation in the UK, don't know if the sign language is specific to the UK?

Covid and deaf in the UK...
Without watching the video I would guess it’s using BSL (British Sign Language) which is different from ASL (American Sign Language).

I only know a few signs in ASL. I looked up one I know to see how it’s signed in BSL and the signs are different (toilet/bathroom).

As to lip reading being different, I can see that being true as I’m sure we enunciate words differently and that would cause our lips to move differently.

Those microbes are carried in respiratory droplets. The mask blocks the droplets.
It doesn't block them all. However, it slows down many more. The slower the droplets move, the faster they fall to the ground and the distance they go is much less. It's all described in Physics books.

Those of us who are hard of hearing don't need to wear clear face masks or ones with a clear area around the lips. I, for one, have never had a problem knowing what I say. After all, the thought comes from the brain (well, mostly, in my case) and is "heard" by the brain. It's the other people that need to be wearing those kinds of masks so I can see what they are saying.

Hearing the masked train agent on the other side of the plexiglass is totally impossible. I admire the agent with the brains to, when I ask them to repeat something multiple times, use their heads and write it down for me. Some of the others consider it a burden to do so. It's not only agents. It's doctors' receptionists, ticket sellers of all types, etc.

I was looking forward to ditching the mask but I also think it's still too early. I think we do need either a "R must be below this (low) number" or "x% must be vaccinated" (we are not high enough yet, I would say 75% of adults fully vaccinated....and of course kids can't be vaccinated yet, they are still testing, so that's another kettle of fish)

I have a trip (in a roomette) coming up, I guess I can at least take it off when I am in my roomette with the curtain to the corridor closed? Will have to tuck the mask in my shoe or something when I sleep so if I have to get up to go to the restroom I remember to put it on - on campus we are required to wear them in classrooms, halls, and restrooms, but can take them off if alone in our offices and more than once I've stepped out in the hall to run to the restroom or get something from the shared printer and gone "whoops" and had to turn back for the mask.

Would be bad if Amtrak is actually disciplining "offenders" by putting them off the train 😳

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back