Covid Mask Mandate for Transportation

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the reasons that vaccine passports would have been a good idea. Those who are fully vaccinated could ride/fly unmasked but not those who have yet to be vaccinated. That could be the incentive right there. Yes, there are people who cannot get the vaccine due to some medical issue (though not nearly as many as who claim it) but they shouldn't be around unmasked or unvaccinated people anyway. Those who can't get vaccinated are dependent on us getting to herd immunity either way.

I'd like to see bands do concerts for only vaccinated people, and Broadway shows, other forms of entertainment. I think you'd see that increase rates as well.

I am a totally deaf person who lipreads and of course cannot understand the speech of anyone who wears a mask. I am completely vaccinated, too. But I still believe in masking and distancing until herd immunity is achieved. The choice is clear: a little temporary annoyance for the general health of society.

Thank you, Henry, you have serious "cred" on this issue. So do I. I lost most of my hearing exactly 60 years ago this month, to measles (this was a few years before the measles vaccine). Luckily I was a precocious reader because for a few months I communicated with others by printing simple notes. As it became obvious that the loss was permanent, I got hearing aids. I've worn them since.

While mine was an early-life trauma, most hearing loss is age-related. From the NIH's Quick Statistics About Hearing: "About 2 percent of adults aged 45 to 54 have disabling hearing loss. The rate increases to 8.5 percent for adults aged 55 to 64. Nearly 25 percent of those aged 65 to 74 and 50 percent of those who are 75 and older have disabling hearing loss." (Only about a third of older adults who would benefit from hearing aids wear them. They're expensive and not covered by Medicare.) Notice that seniors are also at far greatest risk of severe illness or death from COVID. So the same age group that may struggle with the communications challenges and other inconveniences of masks also benefits most from the protection they provide.

I rely on lip-reading but I strongly support masks. Usually, when dealing with (e.g.) a post-office staffer or even the medical team at the vaccination center, I explain that I normally lip-read and ask them to speak slower than usual and to forgive me if I ask them to repeat. Most people are polite and patient. I also have an app on my Android phone, "Live Transcribe & Sound Notifications," that does a pretty decent job of live-captioning conversations. (I'm sure there's an I-phone equivalent, probably many.)

Yes, I'd like to reach herd immunity and ditch the masks. (Except in cold and flu season, a payoff that we learned about!) But not yet.

Last edited:
I have progressed to becoming somewhat ambivalent about masks. I just carry a folding KN95 in my pocket and put it on as and when I need it. It has completely ceased to be a big deal, or any deal at all. It is like I put on a shirt and shoes whenever necessary too.

I was looking forward to ditching the mask but I also think it's still too early. I think we do need either a "R must be below this (low) number" or "x% must be vaccinated" (we are not high enough yet, I would say 75% of adults fully vaccinated....and of course kids can't be vaccinated yet, they are still testing, so that's another kettle of fish)
Expecting approval for 12-15 year-olds any day now. I've got a 12-year-old so this is what I've been anxiously awaiting. Hopefully the under 12 kids by the end of the year...

My manta when leaving my apartment - phone, mask, water bottle. I don't have to worry about keys because I have to lock my door from the outside so I know I'll have them with me. And I either wear a mask with straps around the neck and head or a neck gaiter, so they're on me in some form from the time I leave till I get back. Which is good because I have gotten out of my car a few times w/o pulling the mask up over my mouth/nose.

My manta when leaving my apartment - phone, mask, water bottle. I don't have to worry about keys because I have to lock my door from the outside so I know I'll have them with me. And I either wear a mask with straps around the neck and head or a neck gaiter, so they're on me in some form from the time I leave till I get back. Which is good because I have gotten out of my car a few times w/o pulling the mask up over my mouth/nose.
I just keep a supply of disposable masks in the car, and put one on when I arrive at my destination.

I've lost count of the number of times I've made it almost to the front door of a store before realizing that I forgot to put on a mask, and had to walk all the back to my car. :oops:

Honestly, Amtrak can call me when this is all over and done with and see if I'm still interested. So can the airlines, but Amtrak is...let's just say "uniquely screwed" in this respect because of trip time issues. At present I am not actually anticipating flying or taking the train anywhere this year.

To be fair, in the case of Amtrak, it's more than just the mask "thing" that is at issue...food service on the eastern trains is the bigger problem, and they're competing against my Eldorado as well. There are times these days when I wonder if my support for them is more reflexive than anything...

I just keep a supply of disposable masks in the car, and put one on when I arrive at my destination.

I've lost count of the number of times I've made it almost to the front door of a store before realizing that I forgot to put on a mask, and had to walk all the back to my car. :oops:
I only wear behind the ear masks when I go get my hair cut. I have CI processors on my ears with microphones on wires hanging in front of my ear so behind the ear masks are a nuisance. I keep one behind the ear mask & one neck gaiter in my car “just in case”.

Same with me. We keep a supply of masks in each car. They come in very handy because my memory is worse than my [Darn! I forgot! :)] - well, whatever.

We us only disposable masks but sanitize them every day with ozone using my CPAP cleaner. When they become dirty or start to itch from the loose material, we chuck them.) We sanitize about 8 at a time (four for each of us) then leave them out for a day to get rid of the ozone smell. For the past year, combined, we have used about 75 masks.

I use a mixture of Cloth ( I have about 5 and wash rotate then regularly)and Paper Masks( I have a couple of Boxes since they're now Cheap and easy to get)that I wear for a time or two depending on what I m doing and then replace with a fresh one)

I've had my Vaccine( Pfizer), Austin still has a Mask Mandate ( currently were being sued by our Indicted State Attorney General), as does my employer, where I am tested each time I work.

And of course, the Federal Mask Mandate has been extended on Public Transportation ( Trains,Plznes and Buses) which is sensible since they're all going back to 100% Occupancy @ the end of the month.

Yep, rip off the masks and see the number of infected people rise again. Let's get to herd immunity, then this option is reasonable and logic.

I'm just curious about something. What's so bad about wearing a simple cloth over your mouth and nose? There are so many good things that happen doing this, but what are you losing when you wear one?
While I completely agree with you on that point, I’m also deaf and mask mandates have made my life more difficult and even though I’ll continue to wear one publicly (even though I’m fully vaccinated ) I really wish I didn’t have to, especially on a long distance trip. 😊

While I completely agree with you on that point, I’m also deaf and mask mandates have made my life more difficult and even though I’ll continue to wear one publicly (even though I’m fully vaccinated ) I really wish I didn’t have to, especially on a long distance trip. 😊
I think he was referring to the people who just simply don't like it and make up (fake) reasons as to why they cannot wear it. It's completely fine to dislike wearing a mask, especially if you have an actual condition that makes life harder.

HoH/deaf don’t enjoy wearing masks if we’re using HAs or CI processors because the behind the ear straps can get tangled up with our devices and make it hard to remove the mask without dislodging the devices. There are other types of masks that are easier for us to use - but not as easy to obtain.

But the bigger problem is OTHERS wearing masks. Many of us need to see lips & facial expressions. Others are the ones who should be wearing clear masks if they’re going to be interacting with the public (since they won’t know when someone needs to read their lips)

Last edited:
I'd like to see bands do concerts for only vaccinated people, and Broadway shows, other forms of entertainment. I think you'd see that increase rates as well.
Just this morning I had the idea that popular musicians could host a combination concert and vaccination clinic with free tickets to those who were already vaccinated and those who aren't, but who got vaccinated right at that musical event. I'm sure there are a lot of hurdles to successfully implement the idea though.

Totally willing to keep wearing a mask while traveling until we have much more certainty around odds of infection. Too many people still crying about masks and things not opening up but not willing to wear the mask or get vaccinated. The sooner more do their part the sooner we get to where we ALL want to be!

For long distance travel:
Wearing a mask in coach is mildly annoying, but tolerable with the right mask. Sleepers just seem too expensive these days for my wallet.
$50 from Chicago to the west in coach with a mask vs $1000 in a sleeper without a mask? I’ll still take coach being the better deal haha.

HoH/deaf don’t enjoy wearing masks if we’re using HAs or CI processors because the behind the ear straps can get tangled up with our devices and make it hard to remove the mask without dislodging the devices. There are other types of masks that are easier for us to use - but not as easy to obtain.

But the bigger problem is OTHERS wearing masks. Many of us need to see lips & facial expressions. Others are the ones who should be wearing clear masks if they’re going to be interacting with the public (since they won’t know when someone needs to read their lips)
YES!! Not only are my HA’s constantly tangled up in my mask straps, but the constant struggle of not being able to lip read and read facial expressions which is crucial for communication especially with those who don’t or can’t sign.

YES!! Not only are my HA’s constantly tangled up in my mask straps, but the constant struggle of not being able to lip read and read facial expressions which is crucial for communication especially with those who don’t or can’t sign.
One thing I've also seen as what I'll call (at this point) a bit of an "attitude problem" is "Don't take the mask off for this situation". I've got a related issue in that I have significant filtering issues in loud environments...even pre-pandemic, I'd often avoid a bar with live entertainment (or relatively loud music in general) unless I could be sure I wouldn't be in the "firing line" from the speakers because trying to communicate with the server sometimes required outsourcing the task to my brother. Now, it's just a total non-starter...but even in somewhat quieter settings, the filtering issue kicks in.

While it may be inconvenient for those with hearing difficulties (and, yes, I have them) to fully comprehend others with a mask on as a reason to do away with masks is like saying that steps should be done away in favor of ramps because some people with mobility issues can't use steps.

Reactions: Cal
While it may be inconvenient for those with hearing difficulties (and, yes, I have them) to fully comprehend others with a mask on as a reason to do away with masks is like saying that steps should be done away in favor of ramps because some people with mobility issues can't use steps.
Point taken but it might be kind of cool if everything had Jetsons level automated ramps. 😄

Who has said “do away with masks because it’s hard to hear”? I believe all the people who posted about the deaf/HoH difficulties also said they think everyone should still wear masks. What we have said is that it would be nice if everyone wore clear masks.

Who has said “do away with masks because it’s hard to hear”? I believe all the people who posted about the deaf/HoH difficulties also said they think everyone should still wear masks. What we have said is that it would be nice if everyone wore clear masks.
Or, in the alternative, "By all means wear a mask but if I cannot hear you because of a combination of noise and so on, since the mask is notionally for my protection if I need you to can you slide it down for a moment?"

(Noting, for example, that I am vaccinated and about 90% of the time so is everyone in my party, and that by being in most such venues these days I'm "close enough" to the neighboring table that adding you to the mix is a very low marginal risk to me.)

Or, in the alternative, "By all means wear a mask but if I cannot hear you because of a combination of noise and so on, since the mask is notionally for my protection if I need you to can you slide it down for a moment?"

(Noting, for example, that I am vaccinated and about 90% of the time so is everyone in my party, and that by being in most such venues these days I'm "close enough" to the neighboring table that adding you to the mix is a very low marginal risk to me.)
People have been doing that already without my asking them to and it irks me because they forget that their mask is protecting me as much as it’s protecting them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back