Mask requirements on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you but I will wait to travel until we are not forced against our will to comply.
Of course it's your choice not to ride. But I would note there's a bunch of stuff we're "forced against our will to comply" that most people don't blink at. "No shirt, no shoes, no service" gets little resistance, but require a cloth on customer/passenger/guest/patron faces instead of chests and some people lose their d*mn minds.

[Edited to add]I'm not including you in the "lose their d*mn minds" crowd. Those are the people who:

1) Verbally or physically attack employees who ask them to put on a mask, and/or

2) Usually insist businesses should have broad authority to require employees and even customers to do pretty much whatever the business wants ... except when the business wants employees or customers to wear masks. 🤔

Last edited:
Of course it's your choice not to ride. But I would note there's a bunch of stuff we're "forced against our will to comply" that most people don't blink at. "No shirt, no shoes, no service" gets little resistance, but require a cloth on customer/passenger/guest/patron faces instead of chests and some people lose their d*mn minds.
And don't forget that we're "forced against our will to comply" with that stupid rule to stop at red lights. It just impinges on my right to continue through the intersection! :)

This poster is fully vaccinated with booster. But I am somewhat a higher risk medically that medics say that I have the possibility to get a crossover infection that should be considered. One out of 100 vaccinated will get Omicron and have to go to the hospital and may get very sick. That is why I want you to wear a mask to protect persons just like me. I certainly wear a mask to protect them!!

My best wishes for you not to get sick! I am truly hoping you prioritize what you can control yourself with your own decisions, and stay away from places where people crowd together. Relying on others actions to keep yourself healthy may not go well.

Amtrak content we booked a roomette when a coach seat would have been more appropriate so we can stay away from other people who may be sick and not have to wear a mask 100% of the time on that leg of the trip.

And don't forget that we're "forced against our will to comply" with that stupid rule to stop at red lights. It just impinges on my right to continue through the intersection! :)
Why can't I take target practice in my back yard? The odds of a stray bullet hitting someone are probably much less than the odds of infecting someone with COVID if I'm not wearing a mask.

(Not seriously; just playing devil's advocate.)

Biden doesn't seem to realize that by extending the mandate for all public transit (which includes Amtrak), he's kinda shooting himself in the foot where Amtrak is concerned. Especially because he talks so much about supporting the railroad, and trying to get as many people to take the train as possible.
Amtrak has more funding and support right now than any time in its history, so I'd say it's not just talk. Infection vectors work the same on trains as anywhere else, so excluding one company from the national mandate would make no medical sense and would generate numerous attacks over this arbitrary disparity. Attacks that would likely harm Amtrak as much as anything else. I could keep going but I'm convinced you already know this.

Last edited:
I'm glad there is a mask mandate. We are taking the Auto train because we don't want to stay in hotels or eat in restaurants right now and we still want to go to Florida. So with a bedroom, we can avoid people, and those we do encounter should be wearing masks. Our vaccinations help keep us out of the hospital; the masks help keep us from getting diseases, including influenza and common cold. It has been nice not having a cold since March 2020.

It will be interesting to see what happens to the mask mandate as the world comes to terms with the reality that Covid-19 will be endemic and will never entirely go away. Fauci commented just recently that he believes wearing masks on airplanes may become a permanent requirement. If this is true for the airlines, I am sure that it will also be true for Amtrak.

All the more reason to build more sleeper cars!

Biden doesn't seem to realize that by extending the mandate for all public transit (which includes Amtrak), he's kinda shooting himself in the foot where Amtrak is concerned. Especially because he talks so much about supporting the railroad, and trying to get as many people to take the train as possible.
Because the lives of 800,000 Americans have been lost and, unless the spread is stopped, there will be a lot more. Biden can only do so much with the states and various groups suing over mandates so he has to do what he can control. He knows the downside and time is on his side. Drug companies have shown they can make safe products that reduce the chances that most will survive or even avoid Covid. More and more people are beginning to realize that. For those that don't, their chances of survival from an especially virulent variant will be reduced.

As much as I like riding the train, if the choice is Amtrak or thousands of deaths of the innocents like children, those that can't be vaccinated or those that have been, then it is clear that Amtrak has to take second place.

If you're going to have more sleepers and less coach cars - the cost of sleepers needs to come down to an affordable rate for those who ride coach because they can't afford the ridiculously high costs of the sleepers
I think his point was that sleepers allow passengers to unmask while coach travel does not. Also, sleepers have historically sold out on a regular basis while coach class has not. Other than that I agree that prices should come down as train lengths increase and hopefully will do so as cars are repaired and replaced over time. I personally find it absurd to spend double or triple first class airfare on a basic sleeping compartment but maybe that's just me.

[Edited to add]I'm not including you in the "lose their d*mn minds" crowd. Those are the people who:
Thanx
1) Verbally or physically attack employees who ask them to put on a mask, and/or
And those employees should have every right to protect and defend themselves in any manner possible. But in today's environment the employee is usually deemed in violation of some policy and terminated. Whether it be for enforcing their corporate mask rules/regulations or for what ever reason. i.e. the United flight crew that duct tape a violent passenger to the seat that got canned.
2) Usually insist businesses should have broad authority to require employees and even customers to do pretty much whatever the business wants ... except when the business wants employees or customers to wear masks. 🤔
I fully agree businesses (large or small) should be allowed to enact and enforce their own rules/regulations and/or personal beliefs based on the business beliefs (not the beliefs of an individual employee of the business). Because a kid at register server at McDonalds (for example) doesn't like your uniform should not refuse service since it is not corporate policy or mission. But a cake baker that owns the company and has strong religious beliefs should have the right to refuse service to someone based on those beliefs. And yes I may disagree with those individuals beliefs but I would respect them. I can always do business elsewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
I watch those do it it daily right out my window and usually at their God given right to do it at 80mph!

This comment, although perhaps somewhat frivolous, about the wearing of masks perhaps permanently on airplanes and perhaps Amtrak: Does anyone recall the Charleton Heston movie "Soylent Green" from back in the 60's or 70's? Lots of citizens in masks in public places. It was New York City and the year was........... 2022.

I think his point was that sleepers allow passengers to unmask while coach travel does not. Also, sleepers have historically sold out on a regular basis while coach class has not. Other than that I agree that prices should come down as train lengths increase and hopefully will do so as cars are repaired and replaced over time. I personally find it absurd to spend double or triple first class airfare on a basic sleeping compartment but maybe that's just me.
No it is not you. Sleepers are very pricy. I would love a roomette just for overnights sometimes,but at $300 or more just for privacy and a bed,it's a bit too rich for my blood. Looking at next Spring and Summer roomettes for one person on the CZ,EB and SWC chief are over $1000. No way I am paying that outrageous price. Other people will. That's why Amtrak charges it.

There are two (2) YouTube videos produced by Amtrak with conflicting information regarding masks.

The following video says “an exception” to wearing masks in private rooms:

This video omits the mask “exception” in private rooms:

Wanting to set the record straight, I sent a “tweet” to Amtrak asking for clarification. This was their reply:

“We'd be happy to clarify this information for you. We require all customers and employees to wear a mask at all times while on board trains and in stations, regardless of vaccination status or state or local laws. Face masks can be removed briefly while actively eating, drinking, or taking medication.”

So, it appears that masks are required everywhere on Amtrak trains, even in private rooms.

However, as many have stated and I can verify, this is a law not enforced in sleeper cars, at least for now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back