Mask requirements on Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
There are two (2) conflicting YouTube videos produced by Amtrak with conflicting information regarding masks.

The following video says “an exception” to wearing masks in private rooms:

This video omits the mask “exception” in private rooms:

Wanting to set the record straight, I sent a “tweet” to Amtrak asking for clarification. This was their reply:

“We'd be happy to clarify this information for you. We require all customers and employees to wear a mask at all times while on board trains and in stations, regardless of vaccination status or state or local laws. Face masks can be removed briefly while actively eating, drinking, or taking medication.”

So, it appears that masks are required everywhere on Amtrak trains, even in private rooms.

However, as many have stated and I can verify, this is a law not enforced in sleeper cars, at least for now.

I have been in sleepers quite often during the pandemic and have never worn a mask inside my room.

My best wishes for you not to get sick! I am truly hoping you prioritize what you can control yourself with your own decisions, and stay away from places where people crowd together. Relying on others actions to keep yourself healthy may not go well.

Amtrak content we booked a roomette when a coach seat would have been more appropriate so we can stay away from other people who may be sick and not have to wear a mask 100% of the time on that leg of the trip.
We are doing the same thing for our trip next April. We have booked a roomette for a 6 hour trip to lessen our chances of exposure to COVID or Omricon or whatever mutation may be cresting then. Less interaction lessens our chances of infection. To each his own but that's what works best for us.

There are two (2) conflicting YouTube videos produced by Amtrak with conflicting information regarding masks.

The following video says “an exception” to wearing masks in private rooms:

This video omits the mask “exception” in private rooms:

Wanting to set the record straight, I sent a “tweet” to Amtrak asking for clarification. This was their reply:

“We'd be happy to clarify this information for you. We require all customers and employees to wear a mask at all times while on board trains and in stations, regardless of vaccination status or state or local laws. Face masks can be removed briefly while actively eating, drinking, or taking medication.”

So, it appears that masks are required everywhere on Amtrak trains, even in private rooms.

However, as many have stated and I can verify, this is a law not enforced in sleeper cars, at least for now.

The first video was posted to YouTube before the federal mandate requiring facial coverings on all modes of public transportation. The 2nd video is an edit of the first, probably posted when the mandate was issued. They just forgot to take down the first.

Moderator's Notes: Please try to steer away from general COVID discussion and focus back on Amtrak Mask Requirements. General COVID discussion is off topic in this thread. Eventually, if there are too many general COVID posts they will all be removed. from this thread.

And Amtrak is very well known for strictly following what’s In the book.
On a recent trip on the CZ, I took great delight in listening to the announcement saying "if you become a problem child, we will stop the train, put you off it, and you can walk to your destination." Any wonder the compliance is higher and the temper tantrums are much fewer on trains than on planes? 😂

On a recent trip on the CZ, I took great delight in listening to the announcement saying "if you become a problem child, we will stop the train, put you off it, and you can walk to your destination." Any wonder the compliance is higher and the temper tantrums are much fewer on trains than on planes? 😂
What if planes did that - in the briefing announcement, they could show a parachute and make a similar statement. Ha ha.

Lonnie: I read your post and am a little curious about the "tone" of the announcement. In my days of working the extra board flag on the Auto Train, staff and crew sometimes got on the PA and made announcements that were "witty" or "comical" or "frivolous"--more entertainment valve than anything or lightly make a point. Of course, the conductor or designated crew can for rules violations eject a passenger at the next scheduled station stop (saw this on several occasions). COVID seems to be "fine line" issue. Just curious at your take on the tone.

Moderator's Notes: Please try to steer away from general COVID discussion and focus back on Amtrak Mask Requirements. General COVID discussion is off topic in this thread. Eventually, if there are too many general COVID posts they will all be removed. from this thread.
I am bumping this Moderator Note. Several off topic posts were removed. Thank you for keeping the discussion focused on Amtrak Mask Requirements.
FYI, if a post quotes a post that was removed for being off topic, the post quoting the off topic post will be removed.
Thank you for your cooperation.

Lonnie: I read your post and am a little curious about the "tone" of the announcement. In my days of working the extra board flag on the Auto Train, staff and crew sometimes got on the PA and made announcements that were "witty" or "comical" or "frivolous"--more entertainment valve than anything or lightly make a point. Of course, the conductor or designated crew can for rules violations eject a passenger at the next scheduled station stop (saw this on several occasions). COVID seems to be "fine line" issue. Just curious at your take on the tone.
I'd say it walked a very fine line of its own between humorous and deadly serious. There was definitely a note of parental exasperation with the problem children you know they'd been dealing with. I didn't get the sense that they were joking about the fact that they could in fact put you off the train. They often repeated that these were Federal Laws they and we were bound to follow.

I can verify this also…. it’s what I call a “white underwear rule” because it can’t be enforced.

Looks like this mask mandate will go on indefinitely. Had a feeling it might be extended,especially in light of the new variant. I have a trip in late January. Most of it is in sleepers. No worry there

I sure hope that masking in a sleeper will not be required. I have a sleeper booked on the Empire Builder in July. Will Amtrak require a mask in the dining car? What about in a lounge car?

Richard

I sure hope that masking in a sleeper will not be required. I have a sleeper booked on the Empire Builder in July. Will Amtrak require a mask in the dining car? What about in a lounge car?

Richard
Currently, a mask is required in the dining car and lounge (and the rest of the train) unless you are actively eating or drinking.
As far as sleepers go, our last two LD trips during covid we were maskless while in our room.
If you go through other posts in this thread you will see that echoed.
Just be prepared to wear a mask!

Last edited:

Richard
Who knows about July? Chances are the mask mandate will be in effect indefinitely. You don t need a mask in a sleeper,but everywhere else on the train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back