Masks now required even in private room with door closed.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ve never had an issue with TSA. While Amtrak police have been professional, I would rather go through standard tsa screening then be singled out because I’m a male traveling alone.

I don’t like being questioned on why I’m traveling in my own country.

There is an airline with a Promo script "You are free to move about the country" - - -
Amtrak corollary as long as you or the train stays on the tracks !

I am not so worried about travel in on on public transport as I am about the recent wave of car jackings in my city Murderopolis !

I knew that the federal cops profile young men who book a sleeper room on short notice. At 38 I thought I was old enough to not get profiled - I was kind of honored to get searched! Plus I travel so light with only a small Red Oxx bag, so I think sometimes I get searched just cause it's so much easier than searching the other guy who had 5 bags lol.

The guys who searched me were totally professional and polite, just doing their jobs. Just was a little disconcerting cause I worked 60 hours a week for months to earn that time off and would have rather relaxed.
Wonder if they would have been as professional and polite if you had declined to give your consent? "No sir, I'm exercising my 4th Amendment right against an unreasonable search" or something like that.

On the Lake Shore Limited now and the announcement exempted while actively eating and drinking and while in your private sleeping car accommodation with the door closed. Also stated bandanas and the like no longer count and that anyone in violation will be removed from the train. They did say they have spare masks though should someone have a non-compliant one.

Wonder if they would have been as professional and polite if you had declined to give your consent? "No sir, I'm exercising my 4th Amendment right against an unreasonable search" or something like that.

I tried that once. Didn’t say anything about my right I said “If you’re asking me because I have a choice, then the answer is no, I would prefer not to have strangers going through my luggage.”

His reply -
“Well you have the right to deny a search but I have the authority to say your bag has to be run by a dog and since I don’t have a dog with me that means you’d have to wait on the platform until the dog shows up and he might not show up before the train departs”

Back