Masks now required even in private room with door closed.

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So long as you wear a mask while boarding and in public areas you're probably okay but if you get sloppy the staff will be obliged to remind you and if you refuse to comply they will be expected to remove you when practical to do so.

Closing the door/curtain may not be enough to ensure complete privacy. I've seen more than I cared to because some passengers did not consider placement of wall mirrors and such. It's possible this rule will be further clarified at some point to exclude private rooms with closed doors but I doubt that is any sort of priority right now.

I don't understand. How can anyone see in a room with closed door and curtains?

Actually, no I don't... due to its almost universal unpopularity and the endless criticisms and disappoints expressed... and perhaps congressional mandate to make improvements / more funding. There are several predictions I would make.

Prediction I - a revamping of food inclusion... of some sort.

Prediction II - a modification of the pre-pared meals with fresher food and higher quality.

Prediction III - expanded cafe service with sleeping car passengers being able to order from the full menu or pre-set menu.

Prediction IV - return to a modified full service dining.

Prediction V - total exclusion of food service for sleeper passengers... as is the policy on most European trains. I do predict this is highly likely and that Amtrak will offer food for sale on longer distance trains.

No! I don't know what the future holds! But this forum is a great place to weigh in on the dining situation... based upon what you know, who you've talked to, and your gut instincts.

So, what do you think??? Certainly plenty of speculation / factual info / probability-speculation, etc etc etc: :oops:

https://crsreports.congress.gov/product/pdf/R/R45942/7
Yes... this was published 8 years ago... but issues haven't changed:

https://www.amtrakoig.gov/sites/default/files/reports/oig-a-2014-001.pdf
https://www.timesunion.com/business/article/State-rules-out-food-service-restoration-on-13736228.php
You, my friend, have made the most likely prediction I’ve seen. How do we know this is likely? Because it makes sense and will be the most cost effective. This Amtrak management seems to get it.

I can say on the train right now no one is saying to keep the mask on in the room. Most announcements say the only exception to remove is when actively eating and drinking but they don't mention the room. When I called to change my ticket yesterday I was told a mask was required except within the room and when actively eating. The current conductor made an announcement saying inside the room was an exception. We actually don't have a car attendant anymore as they went out sick but there has been no announcement within the car itself about the policy.

This appears to be one of those situations where there will be an inconsistent application of the policy/rule/order/law which I would believe is expected. Not to be OT, but just for comparison, it is a similar situation with the dining as this train has full sit down service in the dining car where the brought the food unwrapped. Last train I was on it came in a paper bag.

Just wanted to add a current experience for context. Ill be on four other routes (two with sleepers) in the coming days so we will see if the experience varies.

I could see that. Hopefully when they rem
I think the future is the return of traditional dining car/lounge service in the west and a single food service car in the East that would prepare meals for all and have lounge seating exclusively for sleeper passengers. I think people could accept it if they, as part of it, revamped the sleeper meals into something more like what they did with the cross country cafe concept.
I could see that; the VII diners would just need to be modified to have a takeout window at one end for coach passengers and ideally convert some of the cafe booths to proper loung seating. Or just have an upgraded cafe car open to all with room service to the sleepers.
Maybe the new Admin in Washington will have cameras installed.
Hmm, that would require updating the electronics in all the sleeping cars and we know that's not going to happen. 😉

I can say on the train right now no one is saying to keep the mask on in the room. Most announcements say the only exception to remove is when actively eating and drinking but they don't mention the room. When I called to change my ticket yesterday I was told a mask was required except within the room and when actively eating. The current conductor made an announcement saying inside the room was an exception. We actually don't have a car attendant anymore as they went out sick but there has been no announcement within the car itself about the policy.

This appears to be one of those situations where there will be an inconsistent application of the policy/rule/order/law which I would believe is expected. Not to be OT, but just for comparison, it is a similar situation with the dining as this train has full sit down service in the dining car where the brought the food unwrapped. Last train I was on it came in a paper bag.

Just wanted to add a current experience for context. Ill be on four other routes (two with sleepers) in the coming days so we will see if the experience varies.
Which train are you on?

Which train are you on?

California Zephyr. New crew just said over the PA, "Federal Law states you must have your mask on at all times or face a up to a $500 fine. Exceptions are actively eating or drinking or in your private sleeping accommodation with the door closed." Everyone has said something different. Two mentioned fines. Three mentioned sleeping compartments as being exempt. One said do it or you are off at the next grade crossing. The only consistent announcement has been it is ok to remove temporarily when actively eating and drinking. I have been wearing the mask in the room for the most part, however being from the Bay Area (in California) that is more from habit and less consciously doing it than anything else. Only one PA so far reminding people about the mask policy due to people relaxing the mask use in the sightseer lounge (without food or drink). Otherwise no real problems have been evident thus far. In the dining car most everyone I have seen has been wearing the mask until the food arrives and they have been putting it back on if the server walks up.

California Zephyr. New crew just said over the PA, "Federal Law states you must have your mask on at all times or face a up to a $500 fine. Exceptions are actively eating or drinking or in your private sleeping accommodation with the door closed." Everyone has said something different. Two mentioned fines. Three mentioned sleeping compartments as being exempt. One said do it or you are off at the next grade crossing. The only consistent announcement has been it is ok to remove temporarily when actively eating and drinking. I have been wearing the mask in the room for the most part, however being from the Bay Area (in California) that is more from habit and less consciously doing it than anything else. Only one PA so far reminding people about the mask policy due to people relaxing the mask use in the sightseer lounge (without food or drink). Otherwise no real problems have been evident thus far. In the dining car most everyone I have seen has been wearing the mask until the food arrives and they have been putting it back on if the server walks up.

Are many people eating in the dining car? (Vs. in their room)

Are many people eating in the dining car? (Vs. in their room)

I'd say 25% sleeper lounge/75% in the room. Of the 8 tables available I'd say about 4-5 were filled at any given time. It was pretty organized as they set your drinks out on the table ahead of time (the LSA still came to your room ahead of time to take the order and ask your preference of in room or in sleeper lounge) to designate which table was yours. To keep on the topic of mask compliance I'd say everyone overall in the "sleeper lounge" car was courteous about it and the tables were alternated and cleaned between parties. I never really felt like anyone was ever in my bubble nor myself in anyone else's. In overhearing people, those who said they wanted a breather from the mask tended to stay and eat in the room with the door closed.

I can try to write a brief summary of the overall experience if that would be helpful in the appropriate thread.

Exceptions are actively eating or drinking or in your private sleeping accommodation with the door closed

All the cool kids wear them.
ur,mask_flatlay_front,product,600x600.u1.jpg

Amtrak Masks

One of the times I boarded No. 5 in Chicago last summer, federal police politely asked to search my bags to see if I was taking any drugs on my trip. Of course I had nothing illlegal so I let them search, but that ended my fantasy that I could be a regular guy and not attract any attention from law enforcement etc. Still, I don't see how anybody would know or care if you had a mask on in a private sleeper room.

One of the times I boarded No. 5 in Chicago last summer, federal police politely asked to search my bags to see if I was taking any drugs on my trip. Of course I had nothing illlegal so I let them search, but that ended my fantasy that I could be a regular guy and not attract any attention from law enforcement etc. Still, I don't see how anybody would know or care if you had a mask on in a private sleeper room.

I’ve been there as well. Taking the train is suspicious behavior you know!

I knew that the federal cops profile young men who book a sleeper room on short notice. At 38 I thought I was old enough to not get profiled - I was kind of honored to get searched! Plus I travel so light with only a small Red Oxx bag, so I think sometimes I get searched just cause it's so much easier than searching the other guy who had 5 bags lol.

The guys who searched me were totally professional and polite, just doing their jobs. Just was a little disconcerting cause I worked 60 hours a week for months to earn that time off and would have rather relaxed.

Yupp - none of the stripdown nudo-scope TSA crap for rail travel - hands in the air - spreadem !
You can't just hijack a train and change the destination at random - you are limited to the tracks !
About the only comments I have received were "What's a matter sonny afraid to fly" ? The conductor
taking tickets noted my airline crew tags on my bags.

And really you can't be sure what the dogs are looking for - except for the German Shepard type
they mean real police business - big bite out of crime.

Yupp - none of the stripdown nudo-scope TSA crap for rail travel - hands in the air - spreadem !

I’ve never had an issue with TSA. While Amtrak police have been professional, I would rather go through standard tsa screening then be singled out because I’m a male traveling alone.

I don’t like being questioned on why I’m traveling in my own country.

Back