MBTA issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

Fenway

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
Sheesh, Boston is really falling apart (granted, Chicago shut down our Green Line for a renovation project, but it wasn't nearly in such dire circumstances as Boston and it's mostly paralleled by other lines and was planned in advance).

Fenway

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
It never ends

About 300 Green Line passengers were forced to get off their trains and walk along the tracks because of a power problem during the evening commute Friday.

The MBTA says three trains got stuck in the tunnels between the Hynes and Kenmore stops in Back Bay by Fenway Park.

No injuries were reported.

Last edited:

Fenway

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
The local news media has yet to look at the Achilles heel which is North Station because the Green Line will be closed at the same time.

I don't envy people from Maine taking the Downeaster who most likely will be unaware that trying to get to either South Station or Back Bay to continue on Amtrak will be a gigantic headache. Haymarket being closed is another major chokepoint. The other unknown is Lyft and Uber surge pricing.

This twitter video has gone viral and sums up the apprehension of the next month.

JoshP

Service Attendant
I didn't know about this until just moments ago since I was planning a 30 day travel in east coast and doing some filming of public transit for my youtube channel so now I think I'll have to avoid Boston for now. This is really shame. Maybe the T should learn how MTA done like weekend shutdown only and it works well, no problems.

Fenway

Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I know Anna Seda and those musicians.
They honestly had no idea it would blow up like this.

The next months in Boston are going to be a ****show. Probably the biggest transport disaster in the country atm.

@Tlcooper93

What boggles the mind is the core tunnels downtown are all over 100 years old and they are fine.

The MTA did a decent job with extending the Blue Line to Revere and the Green Line to Riverside in the 50s.

But in 1964 the MTA was morphed into the MBTA that was designed to save commuter rail.

The MBTA cut corners on the Red Line extension to Quincy in 1971 and the replacement of the Charlestown Elevated in 1975 and that is the core of the issues today. The tunnel from Harvard to Alewife that was completed in 1985 has also aged badly. The replacement of the Washington Street elevated in 1987 has aged better.