MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The last ridership numbers (2019) show Boylston with an average of 5,265-weekday entries into the system.

https://mbta-massdot.opendata.arcgi...T::average-weekday-gated-entries-fy19/explore
Oak Grove6,637
Broadway6,020
Tufts Medical Center5,976
Chinatown5,747
Andrew5,721
Lechmere5,697
Massachusetts Avenue5,627
Jackson Square5,284
Boylston5,265
Aquarium5,130
Fields Corner4,948
Quincy Adams4,665
Roxbury Crossing4,501
Braintree4,473

Emerson College moved its dormitories to that neighborhood and it is also the closest station to MBTA HQs.

Boylston has never had even a modest renovation in 125 years.
Interesting. Even more passengers than my old home station Fields Corner that I used when I lived in Dorchester and was always very busy with many bus connections. In that case I don't understand why Boylston is treated as a red headed stepchild by the T.

Interesting. Even more passengers than my old home station Fields Corner that I used when I lived in Dorchester and was always very busy with many bus connections. In that case I don't understand why Boylston is treated as a red headed stepchild by the T.
I suspect the station being a National Historic Landmark complicates things

https://npgallery.nps.gov/NRHP/GetAsset/NHLS/66000788_text

How did Park St. escape that fate?
Park St was altered in 1912 when the current Red Line was built

If my memory is correct Park Street got a double elevator in 1979 on Tremont across the street from the main headhouse.

You could take the elevator from Tremont to fare collection and then have access to the Green Line towards Lechmere, access to the Orange Line walkway, or take a second elevator to the Red Line.

Boylston never changed

Seems the FTA oversight isn't making things any better.

These incidents are getting worse and worse and will result in fatalities if nothing is done.

This is ALL on Governor Charlie Baker and former Governor Deval Patrick.

EIGHT years ago Patrick decided buying new trains from China for the Orange Line was the way to go.....and Baker then added the Red Line to the order.

BUT that same Chinese company is providing new subway cars for Chicago and Los Angeles with no major issues so something the T is doing when they get the new cars looks like the problem.

Baker then gave the paratransit dispatch contract to Uber and the T after 18 months went back to the old system and had to pay millions to Uber to break the contract.

Under Baker they entered into a contract with Cubic for upgraded fare collection equipment that has already cost more than what Chicago and New York City paid Cubic COMBINED and now might be ready in 2024.

98 years ago Boston converted what is now the Blue Line from streetcar to heavy rail which required a third-rail and raised platforms to be installed and it required a suspension of service to do the conversion in the Boston Harbor tunnel connecting Bowdoin to Maverick Square. IT WAS DONE in 50 1/2 HOURS. How long would that take if done in 2022?

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/East...July 12, 1924 ·,Was Built at Maverick Square.
The T has been hampered that the 3 heavy rail lines have different specifications.

RED LINE: Cars are 69 feet long and 10 feet 3 inches wide; station height is 4 feet 1 inch from rails to the platform.

BLUE LINE: Cars are 48 feet long and 9 feet 3 inches wide; station height is 3 feet 5 ½ inches from rails to the platform.

ORANGE LINE: Cars are 65 feet long and 9 feet 3 inches wide; station height is3 feet 9 inches from rails to the platform.

GREEN LINE uses trolleys, not heavy rail subway cars.

The core issue is the MBTA was born in 1964 to save commuter rail but the focus was on the Boston & Maine lines into North Sation - no attempt was made to resuscitate the Old Colony Lines that the New Haven closed down in 1959 and was finally restored in 1997/2007 at a huge cost which in turn meant less money for the subway lines.

I have serious doubts the culture of the T can be changed.

Last edited:

This is ALL on Governor Charlie Baker and former Governor Deval Patrick.

EIGHT years ago Patrick decided buying new trains from China for the Orange Line was the way to go.....and Baker then added the Red Line to the order.

BUT that same Chinese company is providing new subway cars for Chicago and Los Angeles with no major issues so something the T is doing when they get the new cars looks like the problem.

Baker then gave the paratransit dispatch contract to Uber and the T after 18 months went back to the old system and had to pay millions to Uber to break the contract.

Under Baker they entered into a contract with Cubic for upgraded fare collection equipment that has already cost more than what Chicago and New York City paid Cubic COMBINED and now might be ready in 2024.

98 years ago Boston converted what is now the Blue Line from streetcar to heavy rail which required a third-rail and raised platforms to be installed and it required a suspension of service to do the conversion in the Boston Harbor tunnel connecting Bowdoin to Maverick Square. IT WAS DONE in 50 1/2 HOURS. How long would that take if done in 2022?

https://www.nycsubway.org/wiki/East...July 12, 1924 ·,Was Built at Maverick Square.
The T has been hampered that the 3 heavy rail lines have different specifications.

RED LINE: Cars are 69 feet long and 10 feet 3 inches wide; station height is 4 feet 1 inch from rails to the platform.

BLUE LINE: Cars are 48 feet long and 9 feet 3 inches wide; station height is 3 feet 5 ½ inches from rails to the platform.

ORANGE LINE: Cars are 65 feet long and 9 feet 3 inches wide; station height is3 feet 9 inches from rails to the platform.

GREEN LINE uses trolleys, not heavy rail subway cars.

The core issue is the MBTA was born in 1964 to save commuter rail but the focus was on the Boston & Maine lines into North Sation - no attempt was made to resuscitate the Old Colony Lines that the New Haven closed down in 1959 and was finally restored in 1997/2007 at a huge cost which in turn meant less money for the subway lines.

I have serious doubts the culture of the T can be changed.

The blue line also switches from overhead catenary to 3rd rail at the airport station, before heading under the harbor (pronounced "hah-baa"). It's pretty cool to see when you get off the train, but add that to the list of complications.

Boston is now becoming the poster child of a system historically void of adequate funding.

Perhaps shutting down parts of the system for expanded periods of time will make people wake up to how crucial transit is.

I can’t imagine the nightmare traffic situation that will unfold with this drastic but increasingly necessary action.

Boston is now becoming the poster child of a system historically void of adequate funding.

Perhaps shutting down parts of the system for expanded periods of time will make people wake up to how crucial transit is.

I can’t imagine the nightmare traffic situation that will unfold with this drastic but increasingly necessary action.
https://www.wbur.org/radioboston/2022/07/25/mondays-mayor-michelle-wu-boston
Shutting down the T would have been a hard sell but now most would accept it.

A woman who was on the Orange Line last week posted this this morning

Transportation/mental health update: I am currently in an "Uber Green" on my way to work. I was curious about it since it was a cheaper option. It’s very bumpy and apparently has no air-conditioning. Still better than the T.

1658779214387.png

Redline another possible bvrake failure? Brings up question. How are maintenance personnel assigned to various locations? At managements discression? Or a rigid union type assignment or even grandfarthered at each location?

Redline another possible bvrake failure? Brings up question. How are maintenance personnel assigned to various locations? At managements discression? Or a rigid union type assignment or even grandfarthered at each location?

The entire culture is broken - Killing the MBTA and making it part of MassDOT would only make it worse.

Last time I was in Boston the blue line was shut down and I had to rush to the airport via green, red and silver, luckily made my flight.

Didn't Boston get stuck with the LRV by Boeing (or was that SF that did)?

Back