MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) discussion

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like the completely ineffective "SafeTrack" and then "Back2Good" with WMATA.
The suggestions about how to handle this situation seem to me to be roughly analogous to a sports team that's not doing very well, and everyone yelling to fire the coach, without acknowledging that the players, the team owner, the school administrators, whatever, also play a role in the poor performance. After all, one can fire the coach, but there's not guarantee that the new coach will be any better, or that the team will improve. Are there any examples where a totally dysfunctional operation has been turned around?

The suggestions about how to handle this situation seem to me to be roughly analogous to a sports team that's not doing very well, and everyone yelling to fire the coach, without acknowledging that the players, the team owner, the school administrators, whatever, also play a role in the poor performance. After all, one can fire the coach, but there's not guarantee that the new coach will be any better, or that the team will improve. Are there any examples where a totally dysfunctional operation has been turned around?
I'm sure there are examples (can't think of any right now) - though I generally agree with you, how would you replace a huge work force at the moment with the labor shortages going on at the moment?

From a Washington Post interview with Randy Clarke, the new head of regional transit authority WMATA. Yeah, safety is something we should be able to take for granted. But don't.

"Unlike his predecessor, Clarke said, the public will not hear him stressing safety as publicly as Wiedefeld did. The former general manager’s unofficial mantra and mission for Metro was to put 'safety first.' Clarke, who served as the chief safety officer for Boston’s transit system, said safety will be intrinsic."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/transportation/2022/07/28/metro-wmata-rail-service/ (paywall but anyone can read a limited number of free articles)

What exactly is a "Safety Standdown"?

In the 1st clip, the pretty but dumb newsreader says the "Federal Trade Administration" (I suppose one FTA is as good as another) has "slammed" the MBTA, and then the reporter describes the training requirement but says the MBTA thinks it won't affect service.

In the 2nd clip, the reporter says the Red line will be shut down every evening for a while, but that seems to be not directly related to the FTA order.

What exactly is a "Safety Standdown"?

It's a standard thing whenever there is a safety incident in a facility that handles large things, like maintenance or manufacturing facilities... not just the rail industry. Essentially it's a mandatory meeting that all employees that would have any connection to the safety incident (including being allowed to just walk thru the area) must attend. They usually go over what the incident was, and what steps are being done to keep it from happening again; and can include additional training days/meetings if warranted.

Peter

Yowsa, that's harsh but pointed language.
As I pointed out in an earlier post Boston has dodged a major transit disaster since 1916 ( not counting commuter rail )

https://www.amtraktrains.com/threads/mbta-issues.82098/post-963325
My retired motorman friend worries the most about the Bombardier 1800 series cars that went into service in 1993-94 as they were computer enhanced using equipment from DEC (Digital) which no longer exists. The Pullman 1500-1600 cars from 1969-71 have served the system well but it's time.

He believes the track between South Station and Broadway is ripe for a disaster because of speed.

It's just frustrating to watch.

I’m surprised the FTA wasn’t harsher.
Also can’t really understand how this system, flush was so much cash, existing in a state flush with cash, has not released a broader plan to make things better. Doesn’t really seem like enough to me.

Seems like until the FTA stepped in, the MBTA was just content to let things slide time after time.

Seems like until the FTA stepped in, the MBTA was just content to let things slide time after time.
Wonder if the hiding of these safety problems was that officials at MBTA were worried that if disclosed would have their heads on a platter? If I had been a high official there would have been a worry that the state legislature might have taken very harsh steps?

Now there will be Pols looking to score points with hearings and probably firings. May try to claw back any parachutes.

Of course there are examples, teams don’t remain irrelevant forever. The Buffalo Bills and Cincinnati Bengals are 2 very recent examples. And the same thing can happen to public agencies when new leadership is brought in. I believe David Gunn has a history of leading successful turnarounds at numerous organizations, both city and federal.

Actually, this sounds like a good thing. No pain, no gain. 🧓

It needs to be done and the same applies to the Red Line.

The Haymarket-North line opened in 1975 and was flawed from Day 1 and has aged badly. - The SW Corridor opened in 1987 and was far better designed. The Washington St tunnel opened in 1908 and has held up well.

I fear things will get worse in the future.

Back