Meal Service on the Lake Shore?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zephyr asking questions??? I thought you knew everything! 😂

I would tell you to go to the Amtrak website which lists the meal times, but from answers to my inquiries about it it seems that it’s not accurate.

I know the published meal times, but my recollection is there isn't meal service on the LSL into New York, despite it being in early dinner hours, and the cafe goes to Boston. But it has been several years since I've ridden the Lake Shore, and things may have changed.

I blame it on the millennials.

I am taking the LSL in a couple of days westbound from New York Penn to Chicago.

How aggressive are they with trying to get passengers in the New York section to eat dinner before arrival in Albany?

Do they serve dinner while the train is sitting at the station in Albany? If not, how quickly do they re-open the diner once the train leaves Albany?

There is a period of time in Albany where the train has no power. The P32 comes off, and the Boston section is added, along with its P42 units. I usually leave from NYP, but did board in Albany once, I don't recall any long delay in the diner service resuming.

There is a period of time in Albany where the train has no power. The P32 comes off, and the Boston section is added, along with its P42 units. I usually leave from NYP, but did board in Albany once, I don't recall any long delay in the diner service resuming.
In situations like that (also at WAS), are you allowed to continue eating in the diner if you got your meal before the HEP went out, or is everyone kicked out?

I sort of remember staying, but I honestly don't recall. Since the train leaves NY pretty late in the afternoon, I usually grabbed something in NYP while waiting, and looked for later dinner times in general.. Depending on the time of year, you might not want to sit in the diner with no heat or AC.

With the upgraded lounge, for sure. I usually grabbed something from one of the many stores on the LIRR hallway, those are all gone now while it is being renovated. For a number of years I worked out of an office on 35th Street, I could also buy something at any of my usual lunch spots and have a late lunch in my office or our break room.

If you are traveling eastbound, you will indeed receive breakfast and lunch; but after Albany, when the diner departs for Boston, there will be no food service on board. That has always been my experience. If the train is on-time or close, you get into NYP by dinnertime. One option for food is to go up to the Albany station during the stop there -- there is often enough time to buy something in the station and return, but not always.

Back