Meals served on all long-distance trains on the Northeast Corridor?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCrescent

OBS Chief
I'm taking the Cardinal on an upcoming trip, just on a short stretch on the Northeast Corridor (NY-Philadelphia-DC). I'm in a sleeping car.

The Amtrak website says that breakfast is served, but:

1. If you're taking a southbound/westbound long-distance train only on the Northeast Corridor, do you actually get a meal?
2. I had really inconsistent meal service on the Crescent last year. For Flexible Dining (particularly breakfast), are you supposed to go to the cafe car yourself and get it, or will the sleeping car attendant demand that you stay in your room and have meals brought to you? Are there any other things I should watch out for?

While in a sleeping car on the Crescent, sometimes I was told by a sleeping car attendant to go to the cafe care myself; sometimes I was told that I could not go to the cafe car; and whatever I did, the cafe car attendant seemed irritated. I'm not sure if Flexible Dining breakfast is worth the hassle of actually getting the food.

As you’ve already learned, Amtrak staff will make up the rules so there is no guessing.

You SHOULD get a meal during a meal period but in reality who knows.

My flex dining LSA on the Meteor seemed very annoyed at how I ordered breakfast as well. Fortunately I had a wonderful SCA who assisted me with all of the other meals.

Back